102M?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Croyote

102M?

Post by Croyote » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:20 am

Rumor has it that Moog will have a new pedal at Summer Namm.

I hope it will be the MF-102M.

While I don't care a wink for MIDI capability, I want a Ring Modulator that has more waveform options than the standard model and the warmth of the MF-102.

I sold my MF-102 last fall to raise funds for my Moog Guitar, and I've always regretted the loss. Recently, I picked up a Way Huge Ringworm and I love the options, particularly the Modulated Envelope follower; but the tones it generates lack the warmth of the Moog Ring Mod.

Another thing I miss is the carrier input of the MF-102, but I always wanted to be able to integrate my input signal with the LFO circuit if possible. I didn't like that the carrier input shut down half of the pedals capabilities essentially.

If Moog misses this chance to update their Ring Mod, they might miss the chance to set the standard. A little bird told me that Subdecay has a RingMod with their DLX circuit in the works.

Tap tempo would be nice too . . .

nectarios

Re: 102M?

Post by nectarios » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:11 am

No idea if that happens, it would be nice. I love my MF-102, it is actually the most heavily used Moogerfooger in my music...it just sounds amazing.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

mico

Post by mico » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:25 am

Personally, I'd prefer that it was not an reiteration of an already existing Moogerfooger. I'm very much itchy for a new one after having consolidated my Moogerfoogers down to the ones I use most consistently.

I'm kind of trying to ween myself off the collector's kick.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Id rather the Foogers stay without midi. If I did anything to the 102 I'd put a super precision potentiometer on the frequency input.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:39 am

EricK wrote:Id rather the Foogers stay without midi. If I did anything to the 102 I'd put a super precision potentiometer on the frequency input.
Sensitive little bugger, innit.
Takes time to get the frequency spot on, but with care it gets there.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.

facon

Post by facon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 am

As a guitar player that appreciates the ability to call up presets through midi, I would love midi capability on every Moogerfooger. I've been holding out on purchasing a 102 because I'm hoping they would add it. Is there any reason that the lack of midi on the Moogerfoogers is appealing?

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Yes, lower price tag.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Actually, the midi versions have been a few bucks cheaper that their original counterparts.

102M wouldn't be useful for me, I like it the way it is, and I gotta say the filter is the same, no M. Presets are predictable and sterilize creativity. I use presets, but very quickly they get adapted to the situation I'm fitting into.

103M however, with the ability to select # of stages (2,3,4,6,8,12) and an adjustable stereo spread would be awesome. Add the new LFO section found on the bucket brigade pedals - with an LFO out! - would be stupendous.

Something totally new is also always a welcome option too!
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Headphones

Post by Headphones » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:23 am

I wouldn't mind if they just added MIDI to the 101/102/103/107, and tried to throw in any new hidden features you could access in your DAW/Controller. I guess we'll wait and see. I still would love them to finally release a 106. Not sure if they should do a reverb, fuzz, or some brand new effect altogether. Not too concerned if they do or don't update the MFs, but I'm scoring my 104, and after that I'm going after the 108.

nuno

Post by nuno » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Hmmm.... MF102 with MIDI and Tap Tempo for the LFO, that would be sweet!

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:42 pm

facon wrote:Is there any reason that the lack of midi on the Moogerfoogers is appealing?
The lack of firmware bugs and the threads looking for solutions to them.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Yeah . . . how about just a Ring Modulation Matrix pedal . . . I have no use for MIDI.

7 waveforms, tap tempo, the ability to mix waveforms together in the Carrier Oscillator and not cut off half the pedals when doing so, that would expand the pedal satisfactorily

I might just wait for the Subdecay unit (if it comes) or sell a kidney and buy a Ring Stinger.

Here's a tip for the best quasi tube blues fuzz tone I ever got . . . put a 102 in the Ext, loop of the Cluster Flux set on a heavy flange with super fast random waveform. I no longer have either pedal so have at it.

Cluster Flux Effect Loop-> TRS Send to Doubler pedal -> Stereo outs to 102's Audio In & Carrier Oscillator in -> TRS Return from Ring Mod Audio Out to Cluster Flux = Crap Your Pants

nuno

Post by nuno » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Your idea sounds excellent, but why not MIDI?

Adding MIDI to Moogerfoogers increases their integration potential, making them a more desirable product. So you can have all the available features in MF pedals and additionally integrate them into MIDI setup, syncing clock, automating CCs, control via DAW, hardware MIDI sequencer and more.

Adding MIDI to ALL MF product line is a smart move on Moog's part, IMHO. Wider market->more cash flow->more R&D, it's cyclic.

Cheers,
Nuno
Croyote wrote:Yeah . . . how about just a Ring Modulation Matrix pedal . . . I have no use for MIDI.

7 waveforms, tap tempo, the ability to mix waveforms together in the Carrier Oscillator and not cut off half the pedals when doing so, that would expand the pedal satisfactorily

I might just wait for the Subdecay unit (if it comes) or sell a kidney and buy a Ring Stinger.

Here's a tip for the best quasi tube blues fuzz tone I ever got . . . put a 102 in the Ext, loop of the Cluster Flux set on a heavy flange with super fast random waveform. I no longer have either pedal so have at it.

Cluster Flux Effect Loop-> TRS Send to Doubler pedal -> Stereo outs to 102's Audio In & Carrier Oscillator in -> TRS Return from Ring Mod Audio Out to Cluster Flux = Crap Your Pants