psychology and theremins

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
lordzool

psychology and theremins

Post by lordzool » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:15 am

ok so im thinking of writeing a psychology paper on theremins but first i need to know how and why they work the way they do does it have anything to do with the human brain any info you can give will help or if this is just all around insane just tell me and ill find a new subject thanks

Don

Re: psychology and theremins

Post by Don » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:42 pm

[quote="lordzool"]ok so im thinking of writeing a psychology paper on theremins but first i need to know how and why they work the way they do does it have anything to do with the human brain any info you can give will help or if this is just all around insane just tell me and ill find a new subject thanks[/quote]

Dude, I don't know if you're too lazy to do a websearch or if you're just too stupid to be able to figure out how to type "how theremins work" in a google search window (perhaps you should do a paper on that). Or maybe you're just so stuck up that instead of doing your own work, you think others should do it for you because you're so vastly superior and everyone should be honored to kiss where your shoes touch the ground.

So for you and any other morons who can't figure out how to do a web search, I just did a quick one and found this site with a brief overview:
http://www.scifidimensions.com/Sep00/theremin.htm

Actually, I'd look for some more technical information for you, but since you can do a web search, you're either too stupid or self-cented to be able to understand anything deeper than this, so I'll save you the trouble.

Now, please do us a favor and either win yourself a Darwin award or simply jump out of the gene pool.

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:40 am

WOW,
where did all THAT come from?

good info, but someone had a bad day, evidently!

I thinks he just wants to know what we all think about it?
No harm or stupidity in THAT, right???

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

RFBB

Post by RFBB » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:34 am

I'm with Musashidan. A theremin works like no other instrument in the world. Sure there are others that imitate the technique and purpose, but the fall short everytime.
M. PECK MUSIC
www.limitedwave.com/redweb

The Subterraneous
www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous

lordzool

Post by lordzool » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:03 am

ok so yes i do realize now i couldve looked it up online but as a student i dont have hours on my hands to do this so i tend to rely on the kindness of people on a fourm. thank you Musashidan and RFBB for being cool and not biteing my head off

p.s. Darwin awards are for people who die in a dumb fashion not for fourm noobs like myself

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:17 am

RE: Psychology. I guess this kind of relates, but I used to volunteer in Vermont at the VSA Arts Awareness Theatre. The people involved were all mentally (and some physically) disabled. When I brought in my theremin for them to try out, the people with the worst disabilities were the ones who most "got it." There's something immediately rewarding about the instrument that I can't really describe in words, but they surely could feel it.

-andrew bunny

RFBB

Post by RFBB » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:54 pm

lordzool- No problem, it's the least I could do. I think Don's response was a bit harsh and completely uncalled for. Maybe he/she regrets it... who cares right?

However, the subject of your paper is interesting and I hope that there is enough info. on the net available. Good luck! :twisted:
M. PECK MUSIC
www.limitedwave.com/redweb

The Subterraneous
www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:35 am

talk about how when it came out people had never heard anything like it, it was completely "ALIEN" and so clever film music producers used its alien sound to complement si-fi films, this made those robot costumes all the more believable and enhanced the digetic effect (suspension of disbelief) of the films. Now, having seen these old films, we all asociate the theremin sound (and that of synthesizers) with things like aliens, space travel, robots and ray guns. Where they originally had a completely new sound people didn’t have any expectations of them, but now they are part of a cultural and historic paradigm and contain concrete connotations. 8)

godzilla

Re: psychology and theremins

Post by godzilla » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:50 am

lordzool wrote:ok so im thinking of writeing a psychology paper on theremins but first i need to know how and why they work the way they do does it have anything to do with the human brain
mmm to tell the truth i once played my theremin whilst stoned (on weed) and for some reason i could play it a whole lot better, there was something going on where i could just snatch out whatever note i wanted (i'd fade the volume antenna up to hear the pitch, and be plesantly supprised that i'd managed to hit the note i wanted), but when clean my theremin skills aren't quite yet there (i usually have to grumpilly move my hand slightly back or forward to get the pitch i was after).

You'd really have to do research into theremin performance enhancing drugs but that's about the only non-abstract thing that i can relate theremins to the human brain (from my experience).