Weird Chorus/Delay Sound Coming From Slim Phatty

Everything Phatty.
cegor

Weird Chorus/Delay Sound Coming From Slim Phatty

Post by cegor » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:41 am

Hello guys,

My SP has been giving me a weird chorus/reverb/delay effect. I have the newest Firmware, updated a few days ago. The problems been present prior. I tried leaving it on for an hour before use to see if the problem persisted. It definitely did. :oops:

Here's an audio clip with the 'CA CALIBRATION" preset active: http://www.mediafire.com/?7qz6om2oazmxxgm
(Its 11mb, sorry I can't put it into an mp3 right now)

Assar

Re: Weird Chorus/Delay Sound Coming From Slim Phatty

Post by Assar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:33 pm

Is it the same if you listen through headphone directly from the phatty?
How is the audio routed? Through computer? Any daw program or something that creates parallel audio routes with difference in latency?
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

cegor

Post by cegor » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:01 pm

Assar wrote:Is it the same if you listen through headphone directly from the phatty?
How is the audio routed? Through computer? Any daw program or something that creates parallel audio routes with difference in latency?
I've actually never listened to just the moog in that way. I'll check and get back to you.
Just listened through the Moog itself... The effect goes away.

But audio is routed: Slim Phatty > Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 > Ableton 8.2.1

Assar

Post by Assar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Does your sound card have direct monitoring?
And it may be able to route the sound both to Ableton and to the monitor output by some routing matrix.
Try to turn it off.

I don't know how Ableton works, but with RME Fireface and Cubase I can get that effect i different ways. But it is always about parallel signals that has a little difference in delay.
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:16 am

You can get a delay like this in Ableton if you use the External Instrument. If you connect your phatty to the audio interface, and set the external instrument to receive audio from that same channel, AND you have that particular channel turned up on the audio interface (i.e. have the "monitor" knob on the focusrite turned up), you'll get a little delay in the audio coming from Ableton.

I would def check the monitored output of your audio interface and in ableton and make sure only one is selected.

On the other hand, it can make the phatty sound pretty epic. I've actually gotten this 'problem' before and said "THATS BAD ASS" and threw a short delay on the recorded audio to get the same effect on the track...

cegor

Post by cegor » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:22 am

Mr Shave wrote:You can get a delay like this in Ableton if you use the External Instrument. If you connect your phatty to the audio interface, and set the external instrument to receive audio from that same channel, AND you have that particular channel turned up on the audio interface (i.e. have the "monitor" knob on the focusrite turned up), you'll get a little delay in the audio coming from Ableton.

I would def check the monitored output of your audio interface and in ableton and make sure only one is selected.

On the other hand, it can make the phatty sound pretty epic. I've actually gotten this 'problem' before and said "THATS BAD ASS" and threw a short delay on the recorded audio to get the same effect on the track...
The effect is really really sick if used right. It's just not so pleasant when you want to make a really strong bass patch. With this error, it actually allows me to play chords, as long as I hit and hold them in an arp fashion.

cegor

Post by cegor » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:28 am

Assar wrote:Does your sound card have direct monitoring?
And it may be able to route the sound both to Ableton and to the monitor output by some routing matrix.
Try to turn it off.

I don't know how Ableton works, but with RME Fireface and Cubase I can get that effect i different ways. But it is always about parallel signals that has a little difference in delay.

I'll check out the input. I have a feeling you might be right. My interface input is turned down (already solved that problem ;] )

Troubleshooting my routing didn't fix any problems