User interface...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tomorrowstops

User interface...

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:30 pm

I've used the Voyager OS extensively. If I buy a standard Voyager (midi/patch memory) is the interface going to drive me nuts? I love the sound and feel of the OS, but have always felt it would be more practical to have something with patch recall and midi connectivity. Comments (esp. those with experience with both formats)?

thealien666

Re: User interface...

Post by thealien666 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 pm

I've had the opportunity to have a Voyager EB (graciously lent me by the music store owner) for about two weeks (during the time my Old School was out for repairs under warranty). And I must say that when my OS came back, I almost wished it hadn't so soon...

One of the things that I was afraid of, myself being of a certain age and having known the early era of digitally controlled analog synths with very limited resolution, was a possible zippering effect of real time tweaking of critical parameters like filter cutoff, or pitch. None of that on a Voyager. 16384 internal possible voltage values per knob ensures perfectly smooth operation. Also, the added modulation routings and custom settings, as the X-Y pad, all unavailable on an Old School, makes for an interesting upgrade.

As for your question: will the user interface drive me nuts ? I don't think so. It was designed by Rudi Linhard (also a member here) and is very well done. In Panel Mode, you can use it exactly like an Old School, with the knobs showing you exactly what the values are for each parameter at a glance.

It's priced higher than an Old School, because it definitely offers a lot more.

TIFWIW
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 am

I have not used the OS but, no I don’t think you’ll have any problems. The front panel is pretty much the same. I’ve had a Model D since 1992 and had noproblem when I added the Voyager in 2002. Most of the time I have to remember there are added features in the menus :). you can forget they are there until you need them. For me the Voyager is just as much fun as the D. Having presets comes in handy both in the studio and in performance. Many times though in the studio I’ll dial something new in from whatever is called up in the presets, but being able to quickly jump to a favorite sound makes life easie r:)

tomorrowstops

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks for the insight guys....

I'm actually really thinking about sticking with the complication-free Old School. So what if I have to notate patches on paper. I'll just get more efficient at it. The thing sounds awesome as is, no computers attached. Just need to send it in to get the pitch CV scaling modded to 1V/oct and we're good to go.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:13 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:Thanks for the insight guys....

I'm actually really thinking about sticking with the complication-free Old School. So what if I have to notate patches on paper. I'll just get more efficient at it. The thing sounds awesome as is, no computers attached. Just need to send it in to get the pitch CV scaling modded to 1V/oct and we're good to go.
I feel the same way. I have spent time with a Voyager Performer edition, and I prefer the simpler route with my Old School. The more stripped down design forces creativity out of me, and the lack of a menu system really gives me a smooth workflow. Buttons and screens always, ALWAYS sap me of my artistic motivation. Something about using digital interfaces to connect with my art seems so cold and sterile. I would much rather forgo that and have a simple knob-per-function interface where what you see is what you get. Presets take the fun out of programming.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

tomorrowstops

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Kenneth wrote:
I feel the same way. I have spent time with a Voyager Performer edition, and I prefer the simpler route with my Old School. The more stripped down design forces creativity out of me, and the lack of a menu system really gives me a smooth workflow. Buttons and screens always, ALWAYS sap me of my artistic motivation. Something about using digital interfaces to connect with my art seems so cold and sterile. I would much rather forgo that and have a simple knob-per-function interface where what you see is what you get. Presets take the fun out of programming.
Exactly! Cut from the same cloth, you and I!

....and doesn't it seem (just a generalization from looking at threads on here) that standard Voyagers are more prone to having issues? I don't think I've come across a single thread yet with an issue concerning an OS. Just sayin!

tomorrowstops

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 am

Any idea what the cost is to modify the Old School to track 1v/Oct?

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:34 pm

you can make the screen stand still to not distract you
you can NOT press save, if you want to
or you can press save to go on tomorrow with your patch
for the rest the voyager has all the things the old school has.
so besides the money, no reason to be too excited to mho