Voyager noise, is this normal?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
BHC303

Voyager noise, is this normal?

Post by BHC303 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Hey all

Today I was playing with my voyager, I noticed its was a little noisy.

I stumbled across it when I was filtering my machinedrum through the input, while all Oscillators were switched off and their volumes down on the mixer, I noticed a noise when I pressed a key while the machinedrum was not playing.

So then I ran a few tests, I unplugged the input, turned external off and the knob down and all Oscillators off plus turned knobs down and I still hear the sound, the sound is a hiss with a bit of a resonance attack at the start.

I turned down all envelopes, filter and amp and played with amount to filter knob, -5 was sound as described above and 0 through to +5 it is a very predominant percussive pop sound.

It is noticeable at normal monitoring levels (sound card) with the master knob at about twelve (faint) onwards louder.

Normal?

Kenneth

Re: Voyager noise, is this normal?

Post by Kenneth » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:08 am

I haven't experienced this with my OS, but maybe I ought to perform the same tests on mine so we can get to the bottom of this. I'll let you know what I find.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Hey Ken, that would gold!

Thanks mate!

:mrgreen:

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:48 am

May I suggest you read this thread ?

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=677
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:12 am

:cry:

So there should be no noise at all then when keys are pressed with osc off? nothing that can be shaped?

Maybe I am tripping out, can the filter be played to some degree making a blip or pop sound with no Oscillators present? even without resonance?

I can shape whatever noise there is to some degree with the amp and filter envelopes

My synth is an XL so its more allot recent than early performer models... mmm

EDIT: I have contacted Moog for piece of mind

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:42 am

BHC303 wrote:...I have contacted Moog for piece of mind
Very good idea. Especially since it's under warranty.

Sounds to me like a bad VCA...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:14 am

It is under warranty thank god!

Although I would imagine it will be a long turn around, its a week + post either way to the distributors, plus time to fix :(

I am in love with this thing, I don't know if I can go with out her for any length of time...

Hopefully they will swap it if it is faulty :D

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:40 pm

You mentioned the oscillators in your post, but you didnt mention the noise generator... Dumb question, but you have that turned off also right?

I had to send my Little Phatty back to the factory for a faulty LED... it was gone for about a month. The studio was such a sad place without it... :(

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Yeah I turned the noise generator down and switched off too... I wish this was the answer!

So no one can produce similar results?

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:38 pm

I just tried this on my Voyager, and I do get a little bit of noise which is manipulative via the filter and volume envelopes... It sounds just like static, and it can be turned up or down with the amp sustain knob... All the way down, i dont hear anything. I dont notice any difference with the amount to filter knob though... I just hear a small pop when i hit keys, no matter what the amount to filter knob position is in...

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:08 pm

do you get noticeable sounds when sweeping filter cut off also?

cheers mate

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:22 pm

this test will answerer weather is just how these things are or not...

I loaded preset C # 126: Gentle Runner, then turned off all Oscillators and noise source plus turned down all knobs,then pressed the highest key on my XL (you might have to transpose up an octave) and I can still hear the preset faintly, this test is with the moogs output volume all the way up.

bambamthemoose

Post by bambamthemoose » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to add that my brand new Voyager Performer is having the exact same issue with noise when all Osc/Noise/Ext are switched off and a key is pressed. The problem is identical in everyway as decribed above. I'm very interested to follow along the outcome of this thread. Thanks

bambamthemoose

Post by bambamthemoose » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 pm

BHC303 wrote:Hey all

Today I was playing with my voyager, I noticed its was a little noisy.

I stumbled across it when I was filtering my machinedrum through the input, while all Oscillators were switched off and their volumes down on the mixer, I noticed a noise when I pressed a key while the machinedrum was not playing.

So then I ran a few tests, I unplugged the input, turned external off and the knob down and all Oscillators off plus turned knobs down and I still hear the sound, the sound is a hiss with a bit of a resonance attack at the start.

I turned down all envelopes, filter and amp and played with amount to filter knob, -5 was sound as described above and 0 through to +5 it is a very predominant percussive pop sound.

It is noticeable at normal monitoring levels (sound card) with the master knob at about twelve (faint) onwards louder.

Normal?
Hey BHC and All,

I have just experienced the EXACT same problem (did all the same test's etc.) that you have described on my brand new Performer.. Funny, I'm on the Gold Coast too.. weird. Spoke to Moog distributers today and will start with a reinstall of the software tonight but I feel as though its a faulty VCA or similar.. If that's the case it's going back to Melbourne to be fixed. Will stay in touch with any progress

RL

Post by RL » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:12 am

A re-install of the software is nonsense. The Voyager checks after power on each byte in the OS and would show a message if there's a wrong byte. The noise has nothing to do with the software.
Have fun,
Rudi
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2