VOX Time Machine/Other Delays W/ LP

Everything Phatty.
kennethpaltrow

VOX Time Machine/Other Delays W/ LP

Post by kennethpaltrow » Fri May 04, 2012 9:02 pm

I'm leaning more towards the Time Machine, simply because it has tap tempo. makes gigging a heck of a lot easier. however, I feel kind of guilty using a digital delay unit with my LP. they both sound extremely similar to me. I guess it's the whole Analog VS Digital issue. there's also the Memory Boy/Toy which I've looked into, unfortunately it doesn't have tap. Price is a huge factor. I also own the DL4, which works amazingly with all my synths but the thing about it is, it's a bit too big and cumbersome to use. thoughts?

stiiiiiiive

Re: VOX Time Machine/Other Delays W/ LP

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat May 05, 2012 6:51 am

Hey Kenneth, welcome on the forum :)

Don't worry about the digital / analog stuff: if it sounds good to you, just go.

There are several tap tempo delays:
- EHX DMM with Tap Tempo: this BBD delay may be a bit expensive for you though. However they are/will be proposing a lighter version in that it has only one BBD chip, the...
- ...EHX DMM 550 with Tap Tempo: you'll find the needed info about both units here. BTW they are analog with digital control.
- [EDITED] EHX Stereo DMM with Hazarai: digital, many emulations. Inexpensive used.
- Boss RE 20: digital tape delay emulation. A used one will certainly fit your wallet.
- Strymon El Capistan: digital tape delay emulation as well, a bit more expensive.
- Strymon Brigadier: digital BBD delay emulation. May be as expesive as the previous.

If you win the lottery, you can also look at the Diamonds FX Memory Lane II and JHS Panther.

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Sat May 05, 2012 7:29 am

EHX make the Deluxe Memory Boy with tap tempo, and it's a lot cheaper than the Memory Man models. I have a regular Memory Boy and it's a pretty nice sounding unit, but not great. I keep it as a 'character' effect, not a regular one.

The Strymon El Capistan is great, but I find the dual function mode annoying (hold down both footswitches simultaneously to access secondary functions for each knob). They also didn't label these functions on the panel and I can never remember what's what. Otherwise it's a very good unit.

I got my El Cap to replace a Boss RE-20, which I thought was good but not wonderful - they El Cap is more flexible and the extra control over tonal qualities is good to have. If you're on a tighter budget though, the RE-20 does a good job.

Don't be concerned about analogue vs. digital. I actually prefer digital delays, particularly old ones with a bit of grit to them - you get the advantage of a touch of lo-fi, and longer delay times than almost all analogue pedals.

Look out for the Digitech RDS1900, it has plenty of control and sounds really good. (8 bit, up to 1900ms). It's a rack, not a pedal, but you can connect expression pedals and footswitches to it. If you want a small pedal delay, try the old Boss DSD-2 or -3, they can be had cheaply enough, or an early version DD-2 or -3 (what's known as the "long chip" models - later DD-3 units were different and sound cleaner & brighter). If you want something inbetween, try the Boss RDD-10 or -20 microrack (half rack, jacks for external control).

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat May 05, 2012 11:48 am

nathanscribe wrote:EHX make the Deluxe Memory Boy with tap tempo, and it's a lot cheaper than the Memory Man models. I have a regular Memory Boy and it's a pretty nice sounding unit, but not great. I keep it as a 'character' effect, not a regular one.
Sorry for having forgotten that one!!
nathanscribe wrote: The Strymon El Capistan is great, but I find the dual function mode annoying (hold down both footswitches simultaneously to access secondary functions for each knob). They also didn't label these functions on the panel and I can never remember what's what. Otherwise it's a very good unit.

I got my El Cap to replace a Boss RE-20, which I thought was good but not wonderful - they El Cap is more flexible and the extra control over tonal qualities is good to have. If you're on a tighter budget though, the RE-20 does a good job.
Hey Nathan, I'm precisely about to get either a RE-20 or a El Capistan. Would you tell me everything you feel about these two? Did the Strymon fulfill what you were missing with the Boss? Is the $ difference worth?
Ah and what about the reverb on these two units?

Oh last thing: I think Kenneth absolutely wants tap tempo. Are all the FX you mentionned featuring this?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sat May 05, 2012 3:40 pm

I know I sound like a broken record (or a working echo) but...

I always have to throw the DigiTech Time Bender into the ring:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arlipIwfIk

Part 2 (Trippy Knob Twisting at: 4:50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRk2HO-kpo

In particular, its ability to bend time and keep the
echoing notes in the correct order without scrambling
them makes it a killer Space Exploration pedal.

And, it's true Stereo/In-Stereo/Out.

And the ability to make multiple echoes have diatonic
harmonies opens an entirely new performance technique
for monophonic instruments.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun May 06, 2012 6:00 am

Hey, I didn't know that one. Thanks for sharing. The review is complete, great.

The Time Bender seems top notch featurewise, still I'm not in love with it...

nathanscribe

Post by nathanscribe » Sun May 06, 2012 6:01 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Hey Nathan, I'm precisely about to get either a RE-20 or a El Capistan. Would you tell me everything you feel about these two? Did the Strymon fulfill what you were missing with the Boss? Is the $ difference worth?
Ah and what about the reverb on these two units?
Basically, you get what you pay for. The Boss is easy to use, sturdy, sticks to its basic remit and doesn't try to be all things - the different delay patterns (mimicking the multiple tape heads of the original) are handy, and the 'wind-up' feature (step and hold to ramp up the tape speed to maximum gradually, and release to have it fall back gradually) is also fun - but can become a bit of a gimmick. The basic tone of it is middy, but the onboard EQ helps. The reverb is not so good, but I've heard it said that it was a deliberate choice in keeping with the original. I can't compare it to a genuine RE tape echo so no comment on that!

The Strymon is also solid, and though the switches didn't initially inspire confidence they have proved absolutely fine. It has a smaller footprint which may be an issue for some. The features of the Strymon go way beyond the Boss - there are controls for determining the quality of the tape, its age, bias, etc. - and the Strymon has three different operating modes governing how the heads and tape length interact. It will go from slapback to long Eno-like tape loop territory. The reverb has a better overall fidelity than the Boss, but it's still just a spring emulation so don't expect much. Personally, I like to use a secondary reverb on these delays anyway.

On balance I'd say your choice depends how much money you can spend. If you can afford it, get the Strymon. If not, the Boss. Either would prove useful and satisfying, but certainly for recording I like having the extra control the Strymon gives.

Regarding the reverb issue, I picked up a Boss FRV-1 (a digital emulation of a spring reverb) which has better fidelity, and more control, than either of the reverbs on the two delays. They're also pretty cheap. Genuine spring reverbs seem to vary from not so bad to stupid expensive, so the FRV-1 might be worth a punt if you want something compact and kickable.
Oh last thing: I think Kenneth absolutely wants tap tempo. Are all the FX you mentionned featuring this?
Not all; only the EHX DMB, RE-20, and El Cap. The others were more suggestions to try out for characterful digital delays.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun May 06, 2012 6:24 am

Thanks Nathan, this is a great, detailed explaination.
I might try to find a Strymon then. Footprint is a matter since I use the pedals on the top of a keyboard...

Kenneth, I also found the Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay. This one may be expensive too, but they are actually preparing the Tap Delay for quarer 3 of 2012. It's the right channel of the dual version and it's announced to cost some $170.