Is it just me, or...

Everything Phatty.
Kenneth

Is it just me, or...

Post by Kenneth » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:06 am

does it seem like the amount of Phatty owners experiencing tech problems has gone WAY out of control? Just saying... maybe Moog should get their act together? I dunno, if it's just me I'll shut up...
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

point.source

Re: Is it just me, or...

Post by point.source » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:53 pm

i never had any issues whatsoever with my SP

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:46 pm

I think it's more that a lot of people visit forums instead of contacting support, and those posts get a lot of attention, thus creating the impression that there's some sort of flurry of issues. Nah, not really. I've owned everything from Voyager KB to RME to LP Tribute to LP STII to SP, and the only troubles I've ever had were very slight cosmetic goofs that were likely the product of being an early adopter. Moog stuff is VERY well built, especially when you consider their operation size. Problems with firmware updates are pretty much always user error/transmission error. One could maybe argue implementation is part of it, but considering how marvelously detailed and well thought out stuff like the LP/SP OS' are, I think it's worth it. Getting firmware updates on your analog synth. Think about it. That's awesome.

Anyway, I think any appearance of probs is likely forum haze. The faster people report this stuff to support instead of stinking up threads, the faster stuff gets fixed.
www.ctrlshft.com

davydka

Post by davydka » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Probably also for a lot of people, a phatty would be their first piece of real analogue hardware. Learning curves and all. It is the moog entry level synth (an excellent one).

I guess that's also the issue with analogue. It's completely more problematic than digital, no matter how you look at it. A few months ago I bought a new oberheim SEM, and it didn't track over 1/volt per octave. I had to recalibrate it, but I definitely went through a short freakout period where I tried to figure out why it sounded like a mooing cow. Luckily I stuck through, got a volt meter,and feel confident now on calibrating any synth (even calibrated my freqbox during the heatwaves this summer in NYC). It sounds amazing.

Point is, even though this is an amazing time for analogue synthesis, it's still more complicated to maintain than any sort of rompler/virtual analogue.