Moog Modular

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
noisefor

Moog Modular

Post by noisefor » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Given the popularity/resurgence of modular synthesis, NOW would be the PERFECT time to start (re)manufacturing Moog(erfoogers) in modular formats (Modcan, Eurorack, Synth.com, Frac, for example).

There's a hungry market - Moog and it's fans would win big!

Jaguarfooger

Re: Moog Modular

Post by Jaguarfooger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Moog needs to get back into the modular business!!

Repackage the Moogerfooger line as modules! Repackage the MP 201 (or whatever new design is going to follow it) as a module.

noisefor

Post by noisefor » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:19 pm

Moog - Are you listening? We can't be the only one's! There is so much exciting stuff happening in the modular synthesizer world right now and Moog should be at the forefront!!!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:02 pm

I would actually be surprised if Moog DID go back to modules. The main reason being the market is already saturated with Moog clone filters, and Moog could not be competetive in pricing. The Dot Com Moog clone Q150 costs $189. An actual Moog filter would cost at least $300. A long time ago, I came up with the Moog Financial Unit. it started as a way to justify spending so much on my synth rig. It became a running joke for a while. 1 MFU=300USD. A Moog oscillator would probably cost somewhere around $600...few people would actually be able to afford a whole system if Moog started offering one. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Voltor07 wrote:...few people would actually be able to afford a whole system if Moog started offering one. :)
As was the case over 40 years ago...
Agreed that if, and that's a very big "IF", Moog went in that direction and joined the marginal (although quite popular) world of Modular Synths again, history would repeat itself. :(
Last edited by thealien666 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:52 pm

thealien666 wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:...few people would actually be able to afford a whole system if Moog started offering one. :)
As was the case over 40 years ago...
Agreed that if, and that's a very big "IF", Moog when in that direction and joined the marginal (although quite popular) world of Modular Synths again, history would repeat itself. :(
Exactly. Really, how many companies from the modular synth era are still around? I can only think of one. Buchla's synths start at $5k, and go up considerably from there. http://www.buchla.com/series200e.html
ARP no longer builds synthesizers, indeed, Alan R. Perlman doesn't seem to want anything to do with synths anymore. He's moved to bigger and better things. Moog needs to move FORWARD in their designs, and build profitable machines that will move the company into the future. Mike Bucki used to build Moog modules. They were built from NOS components, and were extraordinarily expensive. Moog would be pressured to maintain that kind of quality product, and frankly, I don't think it would put a dent in Synths.com, Moon, STG Soundlabs, MOTM, etc. sales.

edit: I want Buchla's System #10 for my 30th birthday. I'm sure someone won't mind spending $49,950 for a synthesist's 30th birthday...right, guys?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Think if they went with the 500 series modular, $700 a module plus the rack/power supply. A functioning synth would cost $10000 at least. Modular synths are functionally obsolete these days IMHO. Not to say there isn't tremendous demand for them, or they are not extremely cool, but these days I think if you buy an analog synth, you're going for the sound rather than the functionality unless you have an enormous budget. If you are going for functionality, analog/digital hybrids like the Voyager are so much easier and more flexible. A Moog modular would only to appeal only to the very small percentage that could afford one. Getting 4 or more RME Voyagers/phatties and a rack of foogers would have essentially the same functionality as a modular. I think people will never stop wanting more and more gear to come out whether they buy it or not, myself included. I will never buy an XL, but I like that they created it, it's cool to look at.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:32 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:Think if they went with the 500 series modular, $700 a module plus the rack/power supply. A functioning synth would cost $10000 at least. Modular synths are functionally obsolete these days IMHO. Not to say there isn't tremendous demand for them, or they are not extremely cool.../snip/
$700 for a FILTER...an oscillator is a much more complex circuit...lots of components. If Moog were to build a 500 series synth, the oscs would be AT LEAST $1000. As far as functionality, I can think of too many reasons a modular isn't obsolete. For example, can you route the Voyager's osc directly to a VCA, and run that through an envelope to modulate the filter? I don't think so...

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:40 am

I think Moog should really design a fully functional Oscillator fooger with the same specs as the 921, such as 4 simultaneous waveform outputs, octave knob, sync input, etc.

Then you take the alternate route of desoldering the jacks from the PCB and get some dotcom panels and just make your own modular from what they currently offer. Someone could make a killing as a business doing that for people. The foogers will fit on double space panels with the PCB perpenducular to the panel (Moog style). One would just need to design a power harness.

There was a guy who did exactly that....turned a Voyager into a modular:
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:08 am

EricK wrote:I think Moog should really design a fully functional Oscillator fooger with the same specs as the 921, such as 4 simultaneous waveform outputs, octave knob, sync input, etc.

Then you take the alternate route of desoldering the jacks from the PCB and get some dotcom panels and just make your own modular from what they currently offer. Someone could make a killing as a business doing that for people. The foogers will fit on double space panels with the PCB perpenducular to the panel (Moog style). One would just need to design a power harness.
/snip/
The problem lies in the fact that the 'Foogers have that annoying bypass switch and light, and one would need to bring 15v down to 9v, if the module was to be used. That's a lot of resistors. Not to mention, one would need to have a special tool for those rectangle switches..unless the switches were replaced with standard toggle switches.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:13 am

Voltor07 wrote: As far as functionality, I can think of too many reasons a modular isn't obsolete. For example, can you route the Voyager's osc directly to a VCA, and run that through an envelope to modulate the filter? I don't think so...

I understand the signal routing possibilities, but that's more on the modulation side of things. You can do the same thing (maybe not exactly, but just as good) using a computer and an analog filter. That's what i mean by "functionally obsolete". So on the non-audio path side of things, modular synths are greatly surpassed functionally by computers. I have both a mp-201 and cp-251 I use with my foogers and model D, and using one or the other for modulation really has no difference sonically. If moog were to make modules, functionally the best way IMHO is to make discrete audio path modules with the absolute highest quality components available that maximize sound quality and include an interface and software for modulation. Not to say that is the best way overall or that it will happen, but just to theorize about maximizing sound quality and functionality.

But I don't think that is the appeal of modular synths, it's more the coolness of it and the hands-on experience. So modulars will never be obsolete, just "functionally obsolete".

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:31 am

Yeah, that makes sense, unfiltered37. Hands on is definitely the reason I am building a modular. Certainly not for the analog sound, though that's the main reason I went with analog in the first place. If I merely wanted sound experimentation I would have gotten Moog Modular V, or something like that.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:00 pm

I realize that this may be a bulky and expensive alternative, unless of course, you already own all the moogerfoogers and at least 1 cp251 . . . but theoretically, couldn't you rack-mount the 'foogers with several patch bays, and route all the audio and CV in/outs through the patch bays, so that you could use it more like a modular setup? Obviously this would require some serious labeling/color-coding, but couldn't this offer some sort of make-shift solution for the placement of the 'fooger jacks, and give you more of a modular feel with endless routing options?

I know next to nothing about modular synthesis, so feel free to tell me why this is a ridiculous idea :wink:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:22 pm

namahshaman wrote:I realize that this may be a bulky and expensive alternative, unless of course, you already own all the moogerfoogers and at least 1 cp251 . . . but theoretically, couldn't you rack-mount the 'foogers with several patch bays, and route all the audio and CV in/outs through the patch bays, so that you could use it more like a modular setup? Obviously this would require some serious labeling/color-coding, but couldn't this offer some sort of make-shift solution for the placement of the 'fooger jacks, and give you more of a modular feel with endless routing options?

I know next to nothing about modular synthesis, so feel free to tell me why this is a ridiculous idea :wink:
At least one member of the forum has done something like this. :)