Moog Murf VST and Ableton

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
nrvana8775

Moog Murf VST and Ableton

Post by nrvana8775 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:34 pm

I was hoping to use the VST to automate parameters in ableton, but I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing this.

I'm really confused about how to send cc through ableton, since I don't think it's possible.

fishman77

Re: Moog Murf VST and Ableton

Post by fishman77 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:44 pm

The best resource I can think of is the pdf manual that is with the Murf VST download (or it might be a separate download). After you get it all set up on the tracks, you can make envelopes for controlling the VST controls, which in-turn controls the actual Murf.
Adam Embree
www.thesolutionmusic.com

nrvana8775

Post by nrvana8775 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Okay, so messing with ableton and the murf, I realized I could use midi notes to trigger the filters.

Here's what's weird:
There are two different values for each filter. One value makes the filter staccato, really sharp attack/short decay. The other value makes the same filter correspond to the envelope knob.

So...filter 110 has two notes, c2 and c5 (not the correct value, I'll post correct ones later). C2= staccato, c5=envelope follows the envelope knob.

I called moog for a info sheet listing what parameters responded to midi note number, so we'll see.

The setup is ableton is different than they described as well. Took me an hour to figure out why it wasn't working...ugh. Such a complex machine and no real manual explaining the midi stuff.

fishman77

Post by fishman77 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Here's the Murf manual link:
http://moogmusic.com/sites/default/file ... 092909.pdf
Starting on page 21 it explains the different trigger modes with note messages. I think there's actually 3 different note messages per filter you can send.

Here's the manual addendum:
http://moogmusic.com/sites/default/file ... m_v1_8.pdf
There's a bunch more MIDI messages in the newer firmware than the original manual lists.
Enjoy!
-Adam
Adam Embree
www.thesolutionmusic.com