Costs of factory upgrades... that aren't done at the factory

Everything Phatty.
Sore_Knee

Costs of factory upgrades... that aren't done at the factory

Post by Sore_Knee » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:46 am

Hi All,

I'm trying to gauge the costs of the CV factory upgrades that are done through distributors about the world.

The reason i ask, is i've just been quoted a price to upgrade from the Moog Distributor closest to me and I hyperventilated a bit.

I was kinda expecting it to be about the same as the price quoted on the Moog site, maybe 20-30% more. not 200-300% more.

were my expectations a bit high (low)?

David Smyth

Re: Costs of factory upgrades... that aren't done at the fac

Post by David Smyth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi,
I live in New Zealand and had to get a pitch wheel repair/calibration for my Stage II Little Phatty locally in New Zealand - so I figured I'd get the CV Output Mod while it was away.

The total price was NZ$500 which is about US$422.. I'm not sure what the ratio of repair cost/mod cost was, but if it's roughly half to each, then it was pretty close to the US$200 Moog Factory CV Output Mod cost..

My example is probably not the best (most clear), I don't think the mark up should be 200-300%.

Regards,
David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Sore_Knee

Re: Costs of factory upgrades... that aren't done at the fac

Post by Sore_Knee » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:36 am

I think they didn't want to do it, and were thus pricing themselves out of having to do it.

leaves me with 3 options:
1. pay for the upgrades - not worth the cost.
2. sell it and buy one with the CV out mod (and other upgrades) installed - not worth cost.
3. send it out of the country (or back to the US) for the mods - not worth the risk or hassle.

or i could just forget about doing the upgrades. *sigh*