analog and software synths (yes another post on the subject)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mlanson

analog and software synths (yes another post on the subject)

Post by mlanson » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:56 am

I wonder how realistic it is for me to be waiting for the day software catches up to analog.

wayoutware.com / timewARP will be coming out with their VST Arp 2600 emulation in March, and even on the website they put the two side by side I can still tell a slight difference, but I wonder if it will really matter that much for the sounds I'm after. I'm hoping this will be the first synth of many new ones to come that can stand up to analogue. I have about 20 soft synths and none of them do.

My voyager is so much more what I want out of a synth, but I need some new sounds. I can't just play the voyager all day, and I don't like my 20 softsynths anymore now that I have a moog to compare it with.

What do you guys think? Have you heard the timewARP? Are you aware of any other softsynths in the pipeline?

I figure I'll give it until timewARP, (mach) and if that doesn't sound completely analogue, I'll breakdown and buy a real analogue like a Doepfer if I think I can figure out how to patch it.

I'd like a P5, but I just don't want to be dealing with a 30 year old synth. Doepfer sounds right, it's just so complicated.

...My head on loud speaker...

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:29 am

Perhaps the first question to ask yourself is what are looking to do musically? Not every synth (hard or soft) work well in every situation, IMO, but every synth CAN sound just fine in the proper context.

The Voyager's sound may make your softsynths pale in comparision, but the softsynths are no less valid as music-making tools - it just depends on what you want to do.

As far as new sounds for the Voyager, there are four banks of sounds on the Moog website, including the bank that came with your instrument. I went through all four banks, noted the patches that I liked, assembled my own custom bank of sounds and tweaked a few of those patches to my taste and needs.

Want more? The Voyager Editor (available on the Moog website) has a 'genetics' function that allows you to take any two patches and mix/morph/randomize parameters to create new sounds.

Concerning softsynths, the only one I've ever bought was Arturia's Modular Moog, because I've always wanted a modular. The sound is great, and the experience of owning a (virtual) Moog Modular system is thrilling for me. I'd recommend you download the demo and check it out.

Personally, I wouldn't wait for software to catch up to analog. It may never happen - or maybe it will. Of course, sound is such a subjective thing that you may not be satisfied with anything (hard or soft) that isn't truely analog.

Again, the real consideration is what do you want to do musically?

mlanson

Post by mlanson » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:24 pm

I don't use the presets, I just start off with the initial setting, and something always sounds great from that point on... Add the fat controller in the mix and it's always something new and completely different from the last time.

No problems finding sounds on the moog... And that was my point. unfortunately it's not like that with the softsynths for me, I just don't get excited about the sounds. I like deep, loud, squelching traditional or experimental sounds.

I've been listening to pro-one samples, and a lot of a-100 samples. That's the "sound" I'm after, something these seem to naturally produce, like the moog. Can't go wrong. It all sounds good. I think.

I'm going to take your (and a friends) advice about trying the moog modular, see if I can make sense of the patching before I go out and buy a starter doepfer kit. I was looking at a filter module the other day and it has too many inputs. It's not straight forward to me. Not at all.

I'm also not "opposed" to softsynths, in fact, I'd much rather be using them. So much cheaper, and they won't take up a bunch of room... I just wish I had one I really liked.

mlanson

Post by mlanson » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:11 pm

bleep it. I just bought a Pro One. They're cheap. That should hold me down for a while.

i posted to Analogue Heaven and got a seller within minuets!

Sunsinger

Analouge modelling.

Post by Sunsinger » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:42 am

Hey
You should check out the Waldorf Micro Wave XT. You can still find them for about 650.00 used, big bang for the buck. The orange 10 voice one that I have sounds very ballsy. And there is a Genisis patch creator in the most recent software edition. The rack unit is very warm and has one of the closest analouge emulations I've heard, although its a bit on the screamin side, but analouge style controls will allow you to get warmth and deep cascading harmonics like any analouge will.

I also highly reccomend the Roland V-Synth for original sounds and outright tweakhead fragging capabilities. I use it a bunch. Look at my gearlist below and you can see I'm very into analouge, but the V-Synth is a staple.

I have a Pro One and it was my main Axxe for years. Loved its raunchy sound and programming versatility. I'd sit with it in my lap and do some of the most outragous things with it. It still holds a reveared place in my studio.

Although the price would be a ballbuster, consider building a modular out of Voyager Rack Mounts. Great polyphony prospects if youve got the bucks. And they should last a long time without major repairs. Even a 4 voice would be just killer. Twelve oscillatiors all detuned would be fat indeed. Not to mention look cool.

The Pro One is a safe bet because its inexpensive. But keep in mind that many of the Vintage Analouge machines are 25 to 30 years old. Most chips have a life of about that long. My OBXa is starting to deteriorate, and its been in a flight case for years. I was told that it would cost 800.00 to 900.00 to repair a few simple problems and probably I'd wait for six months or more. I decided to buy an Andromeda with the 850.00 and added a few bucks into the mix for all of the possible future repairs to my old analouge gear, and came up with the equation that I might get only a few more costly years of service out of the antiques, but the Voyager and Andromeda will last for years.

Sunsinger :wink:
"Work with what you've got" Eno