autotune 1/2 upper on slimphatty

Everything Phatty.
spin

autotune 1/2 upper on slimphatty

Post by spin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:30 am

Again problems about tuning...this time with slim phatty. I don't know why but autotune function tune 1/2 tone upper...so if i press a B it makes a C. What's happened?
The truth is that i had many many problems about tunig with little phatty..i ve sent it to repair in a tech center, and now also with my new slim phatty, strange things like sudden tuning drifts (in a stable temperature) and now this strange problem about tuning 1/2 tone upper. I would like to ask a special attention about tuning problems and autotune fuction that seems to have often strange behavior^^ (also when using pitch CV input). I'm a little bit tired to fight against tuning, i would just like to play notes and tweak knobs :mrgreen:

Amos

Re: autotune 1/2 upper on slimphatty

Post by Amos » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:57 am

auto tune is simply not compatible with external pitch cv input. There is a definite technical reason why this will not work; if you're using external pitch cv you should set fine tune to on or off, not auto.
(the reason is, auto fine tune assumes that the pitch of the oscillator is 100% controlled by the Phatty's own pitch CV... so if there is an external pitch CV, the assumptions made by auto tune are incorrect and it can't adjust the pitch CV correctly to achieve the target oscillator frequency)

for your other slim phatty tuning issues I recommend you contact Moog service (techsupport at moogmusic dot com, or call +1.828.251.0090) -- especially, find out if both oscillators are drifting in parallel with each other, or if only one oscillator is drifting relative to the other one.

Best wishes,

Amos

Analogic

Re: autotune 1/2 upper on slimphatty

Post by Analogic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi, I have a similar problem with my slim phatty.

Turning it on and sending only CV pitch (and gate) leaves me about a major third out, which is unfortunately out of the range of fine tune. I then need to send the phatty a midi note in order to get the cv pitch back 'in the ball park'. (no idea what's going on there, but it's the only thing that works) Then it's back to sending CV pitch in order to tune manually with an external tuner. I have to do this every time I want to fire up the SP (after an hour or so of warming up).

Is there an easier way for CV users to keep this thing in tune?

If leaving it on is the only way, are there negative long term effects to doing so?