MP-201 arrived! exploring it

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
spin

MP-201 arrived! exploring it

Post by spin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Ye finally i ve got my mp-201, i am very happy xD! This is the killer foot controller and i want to explore well its possibilities :mrgreen:

First question: reading the manual, the range of toe/heel position is 0-4095. Adjusting it with footpedal i can get 0 (with pedal all to heel position) but it seems it can't reach 4095 when pedal is full in toe position....it arrives around 4090. Is this normal or need a recalibration?

spin

Re: MP-201 arrived! exploring it

Post by spin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:01 am

i did a recalibration and now seems that pedal can get 0 - 4095 of range. But now another question...to test pedal i did this setup: cv1 out to control pitch of little phatty, channel 1 as expression and heel = 0 volts and toe = +1 volts. Well, can't get the octave...when i switch from heel to toe the pitch reaches a bit down the octave. I ve tried with heel = 0 and toe = +2 volts and with pedal in toe position i get 12+10 halfsteps, so 1 tone down the 2 octave. This seems strange...i expected a variation of 1 octave per 1 volt...what do you think about this?

spin

Post by spin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:18 pm

I've made some others test in this weekend, i found some strange behaviors reguarding cv output.
I have tried to plug a moog ep-2 (in full heel position) to pitch CV of little phatty while in the display i was watching the actual value of tuning 60.00. When i ve plugged it no changes have occured in the value, just a 59.99 soon changed in 60.00. When i have plugged mp-201 in unipolar mode (initial value = 0, heel = 0, toe = 4095), that value changed from 60.00 to 60.17...so the amount of volts sent from mp is not completely zero, as i supposed.Then i've switched from unipolar to bipolar mode and i have made the same test
with this settings: initial value = 2048, heel = 2048, toe = 4095; this time the tuning value changed from 60.00 to 59.95. Then i've tried again in bipolar mode with this settings: initial value = 2050, heel = 2050, toe = 4095; this time when i plugged the patch cable, the tuning value changed from 60.00 to 60.01, so almost perfect in tune like ep-2 pedal.
I am a little bit confused, this is a normal behavior or something is going wrong?
I would like to use mp-201 in live performances but i have some doubts after these test, especially reguarding pitch CV input...there is the risk to play out of tune! :shock:
Maybe my mp-201 has some problems to be fixed/repair?

spin

Post by spin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:44 am

Another question (hope someone will reply xD): we have a preset where channel 1 is set to expression and plugged to control CV input of little phatty, mode is bipolar and offset centered to 2048 (0 volts). When i switch to next preset, where channel 1 is set to off and there is an initial value different from 2048, this will override previous value and cutoff on little phatty will change to this new initial value (also if that channel was saved switched to off on this new presect)...this happens both with cv output and midi output.

Example:
A patch on little phatty with cutoff set to middle and cv output 1 of MP-201 plugged to CV input of little phatty.
Global mode = bipolar.
presect 1
channel 1 = initial state = ON, expression, initial value = 0 volts, heel = o volts, toe = +5 volts, output = CV only.
channel 2 = off;
channel 3 = off;
channel 4 = off;

presect 2
channel 1 = initial state = OFF, expression, initial value = +5 volts, heel = o volts, toe = +5 volts, output = CV only.
channel 2 = off;
channel 3 = off;
channel 4 = off;

WIth the first presect the cutoff frequency remains centered to middle and go upper when pedal moves to toe position.
When i switch to second presect, automatically the cutoff frequency go to initial value of +5volts, also if that channel was saved with initial state = OFF. This not happens if i set the output of second presect from CV ONLY to MIDI ONLY. In this case not voltage will be sent to little phatty CV input by switching from first presect to second presect.

I'm just trying to uderstand if my mp-201 is ok or need a repair/replacement so if someone could just tell me if these are common behaviors or not...will be very appreciated :mrgreen: .
Thanks in advance for any help!