How to make MP201 send ONLY MIDI CC?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
ark

How to make MP201 send ONLY MIDI CC?

Post by ark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:13 pm

I put the MP201 into Quad mode, set channel 1 mode to GATE, MIDINOTE OUT to OFF, and PGM CHANGE# to OFF. However, I don't seem to be able to stop it from sending a bank number every time it turns the channel on.

In other words, when I press the button once, I get a CC value of 0. When I press it a second time, I get a CC value of 127 followed by a Bank MSB message or a Bank LSB message. I seem to be able to choose one or the other of the Bank messages, and to select the value to be sent as part of the message, but I can't turn that message off entirely.

What am I missing?

EMwhite

Re: How to make MP201 send ONLY MIDI CC?

Post by EMwhite » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Scratch my earlier comment (not sure if it took).

The MP sends a Midi (channel;cc#;0) followed by a (channel;cc#;127) when momentary is selected. It sends the value 0 when you step/depress and then sends a 127 when you release. If configured as "LATCH", it will send either 0 or 127 for each step (alternating).

The "MOMENTARY" mode exhibits a bit of a strange behavior, which is to say it is not what I needed when I was trying to do something with a delay pedal a year or so ago.

The device I was trying to control was a T-rex Replica Delay pedal and the command was a midi cc to control remote tap tempo. Ultimately, Amos walked me through the way it was implemented and it turned out that the T-rex didn't really care what value I was sending, but did care that two messages were being sent instead of a single (desired) message.

So Opted for toggle mode and all was well.

The Midi standard or rather, the generally accepted value for "on" is anything north of value 64 with a 0 or something up to 63 as "off". The MP-201, at least, with code v2.0 does both (as described above and as you documented).

For reference, I have a Novation MK II SL25 and gave it a shot. The interface implementation on the MK II allows for 2 values to be specified for any defined CC. So it's flexible. You can have it send a 0 for the first press and a 127 for the 2nd press or visa versa; or you can do the opposite or anything in between. Ultimately, set both parameters to the same value to get what you are looking for.

Again, for a 'tap' implementation, this would be desirable; otherwise, most devices will be looking for a state change.

Not sure if this explanation helps. (btw: when I last chatted with Amos on the subject, I asked about putting an enhancement into a future version of code that allowed the user to configure the value explicitly. No word on if/when this might occur.) If you have more details about what you are trying to control or send maybe there is an alternative.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!