Can a MF-107 do this?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
r05c03

Can a MF-107 do this?

Post by r05c03 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 pm

So, I used to have a Moogerfooger Freqbox MF-107. Got rid of it. When you hardsync it, the osc locks on and reproduces the incoming tone, yes? There is an an Osc Out on this thing which puts out a control voltage of +/- 2.5. Now I have a Future Retro XS which can be run using CV. Could I hookup my bass guitar to a MF-107, hardsync it, play notes on the bass, and use the CV out as a means of playing notes accurately from the FR XS?
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

Jaguarfooger

Re: Can a MF-107 do this?

Post by Jaguarfooger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Unfortunately no. The application you describe is one of the things I had hoped to do when I first got mine, but it's not possible.

The Osc Output on the back of the MF 107 is not a pitch control voltage....It's the pure, ungated oscillator--a very hot loud signal. If you were to plug your guitar into the freq box and plug just the osc out into your amp (it would be dangerously loud, so be careful if you try this), here's what would happen: while you were not playing, the oscillator would drone at its lowest frequency/waveform based on the settings you have on the front panel. If you played your guitar, the frequency of the oscillator would follow the playing dynamics of your guitar (with synch mode on, the frequency would synchronize to the notes you are playing), but no guitar sounds would be heard. It would be like playing into the freq box with the mix set on 10 and the output going to the amp (except with the osc out going to the amp, you get a mad loud signal).

I think that the Osc Out port is intended more for modular synthesizer applications. Personally, I feed this output into the audio input on my synthesizer to have a third oscillator (Lil Phatty output -> Freq Box Input : Freq Box output to amp (mix set to zero), Freq Box Osc Out to Lil Phatty Audio Input.

To do what you'd like to do, you need something that handles pitch to CV (or midi). I once e-mailed Moog Music about whether this feature could be added to the Freq Box as a factory upgrade--can't remember exactly what the answer was to that specific question, but I do recall--as a side note--that there was a circuit built into the Etherwave Plus that could be modified to handle pitch to CV conversions! Several other--non-moog--products were suggested that can handle pitch to CV including an old, 80s Korg Guitar Synthesizer module.

The biggest thing missing from the Moogerfooger line is pitch to CV (or maybe pitch to MIDI)--if this was made available as a factory upgrade to one of the modules, I'd be eager to get it.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 pm

It's a really really difficult thing to do. There are a number of devices made by 360 systems in the good old days which required an additional pickup for your guitar or bass. There are also low cost devices available today that sit inline with your guitar or bass and transmit Midi.

People jump up and down criticizing these because they do not traditionally track well (and of course it won't do the CV out that you are asking for, just Midi so you'll need ANOTHER box to do the Midi2CV.

There's a vid posted on YouTube of such a device in action at one of the NAMM or Messe shows; looks pretty good to me but I've been cautioned against it due to tracking issues. I didn't take the plunge as a result. Seems that a properly compressed signal would do good enough at mid-higher frequencies, they all have problems with low frequencies as you can read here: http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=10230

Otherwise, I can say, similar to JFooger that the FreqBox is a great 3rd OSC. I've used it w/my LP but also with an Oberheim SEM w/Midi module. Have driven the WAVE with an LFO from my OldSchool and mixed it back into the SEM and that filter really brings home the bacon. Many people buy the Freqbox expecting the ultimate in guitar distortion (John Frusciantec from Chili Peppers uses one) but its beast and needs to be tamed w/Filter or a good amount of knob tweaking. Given the OSC personality of the box, it's a hell of a module.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm pretty sure that the etherwave to etherwave plus field upgrade kit is the pitch to cv board with a couple jacks n' things.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff