Rackmounting MFs

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
suthnear

Rackmounting MFs

Post by suthnear » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:23 am

How does the rack mount kit work? Does it involve any mods to the mfs?

Ta

dzy88p

Post by dzy88p » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:17 am

I'm expecting my racks to arrive today or tomorrow so I'll post when I find out.

dzy88p

Post by dzy88p » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:07 am

Okay, I got my rackmounts. I have two of them: one contains three mofos and the other has one mofo and two cp-251's.

All the units mount to the racks using the screws on the bottom panel with the rubber pads. My rubber pads were deteriorating anyway, so now they're history.

When you have three mofos in one rack, you need to take the endcaps off the one in the middle. Small black screws and bolts are provided to plug the holes left open after removing the endcaps.

I ran into a bit of a problem with the two cp-251's. If you mount them side by side, you remove all endcaps. Since I have another mofo taking up the left side, I had to mount my cp-251's one over the other on the ride side of the rack mount. In this case, you're supposed to remove the endcaps that are on the edge of the rack, in my case on the right side. The problem was that the endcaps that were left on the left side made the whole thing too tight. The cp-251's were at an angle because the endcaps protrude slightly beyond the unit.

Since I mounted two of these rack mounts together, with the 3 mofos on top and the other one beneath, the CP-251 stuck up slightly higher and prevented installation.

I ended up doing the one "modification" that I needed to do. I took off the endcaps from the left side of the cp-251's, and belt-sanded them smooth so that they don't protrude beyond the unit casing. I stained them with a walnut stain and remounted them and now it's perfect.

I was able to switch endcaps around so that overall they match better than they did. A couple of units had lighter endcaps than the rest, so I was able to give the whole set a more unified appearance.