Politics at Moogfest

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Re: Politics at Moogfest

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:02 am

You sure can't beat that for customer service.

+1 for AC Entertainment.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Bääx

Post by Bääx » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 am

Taurus III, Little Phatty Stage II, JoMoX X-Base 999, Korg MS2000R, Gotharman DeMoon

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 am

museslave wrote:
mayidunk wrote:
museslave wrote:Unrelated:
mayidunk, it freaks me out every time I see your avatar- it reminds me of how challenging it was to vacuum that carpet under that thing. :lol:
Is that is a photo of a Novachord you used to own? :shock:
That is not only a picture of a Novachord I used to own, but also the picture of a Novachord I used to own, taken by me in my basement. : ) (as well as being the Novachord which was sampled for use in the recent Hollow Sun product)
That is outstanding! I got it doing a Google image search. May I continue using it as an avatar?

I am truly sorry that you had to part with it. It sounds like it is in working condition? Did you restore it? From what little I can see in the photo, it looks like it just came off the showroom floor! Please, tell me (us) about your experiences with it. How did it play? How did it sound? I understand they had a really nice, built-in sound system! Did it stay in tune, or was it a nightmare with so many divide down circuits?

That is amazing! :mrgreen:

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:19 pm

mayidunk wrote:
museslave wrote:
mayidunk wrote:
mayidunk, it freaks me out every time I see your avatar- it reminds me of how challenging it was to vacuum that carpet under that thing. :lol:
That is not only a picture of a Novachord I used to own, but also the picture of a Novachord I used to own, taken by me in my basement. : ) (as well as being the Novachord which was sampled for use in the recent Hollow Sun product)
That is outstanding! I got it doing a Google image search. May I continue using it as an avatar?

I am truly sorry that you had to part with it. It sounds like it is in working condition? Did you restore it? From what little I can see in the photo, it looks like it just came off the showroom floor! Please, tell me (us) about your experiences with it. How did it play? How did it sound? I understand they had a really nice, built-in sound system! Did it stay in tune, or was it a nightmare with so many divide down circuits?

Ha ha, thread hijack.

Yeah, feel free to use the photo. I used to flood the internet with them. : )

I was truly sorry it failed on me, but it went to a better place. I did not have the ability to repair it, and I didn't live somewhere where I thought anyone would. It was purchased by Dan Wilson of the U.K., and he was able to breathe life back into it... which is awesome. It lives with him now!

It was a fantastic experience to own and play. So many synths today feel like you're playing a sound that was made somewhere else, and piped to you through wires. Playing this device was like having an orchestra in the room with you. You knew that every single note was being individually generated right in front of you. Even though one of its speakers didn't work, and the other one even had paper tears, the sound was absolutely huge and otherworldly. It's often described as "haunting," and I think that is a very accurate description.
Before the power components failed, it was 100% functional. The tuning seemed solid except for one problem- the giant tuning pots had gone so far out of spec that they couldn't be adjusted to appropriate tuning. It is not my impression that it drifted much, though!
Apparently, in a video I made about turning it on, it can be seen that the problem that eventually caused its failure was occurring even when I first acquired it, which is sad. So much could have been done to save it if the problem had been recognized.

But, like I said... it is now functional and living a very happy life in England. Also, it is a celebrity, being the source of the sounds in the Hollow Sun product which bears its name.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:50 pm

museslave wrote:
mayidunk wrote:
museslave wrote:
mayidunk wrote:

Ha ha, thread hijack.

Yeah, feel free to use the photo. I used to flood the internet with them. : )

I was truly sorry it failed on me, but it went to a better place. I did not have the ability to repair it, and I didn't live somewhere where I thought anyone would. It was purchased by Dan Wilson of the U.K., and he was able to breathe life back into it... which is awesome. It lives with him now!

It was a fantastic experience to own and play. So many synths today feel like you're playing a sound that was made somewhere else, and piped to you through wires. Playing this device was like having an orchestra in the room with you. You knew that every single note was being individually generated right in front of you. Even though one of its speakers didn't work, and the other one even had paper tears, the sound was absolutely huge and otherworldly. It's often described as "haunting," and I think that is a very accurate description.
Before the power components failed, it was 100% functional. The tuning seemed solid except for one problem- the giant tuning pots had gone so far out of spec that they couldn't be adjusted to appropriate tuning. It is not my impression that it drifted much, though!
Apparently, in a video I made about turning it on, it can be seen that the problem that eventually caused its failure was occurring even when I first acquired it, which is sad. So much could have been done to save it if the problem had been recognized.

But, like I said... it is now functional and living a very happy life in England. Also, it is a celebrity, being the source of the sounds in the Hollow Sun product which bears its name.
Well, they won't lock it, so why not hijack it?! ;)

Your description of its sound is very intriguing. Too bad that it's an experience you can't fully duplicate digitally on YouTube. That's definitely something you'd have to be there to experience! Too bad you couldn't have found a way to get the speakers fixed or replaced. Just imagine how that would've sounded with both speakers. Wow!

Anyway, it's good to hear that it has been resurrected, and you can count yourself among the lucky few to have experienced that monster first hand! Thanks for sharing your experience with it, and for letting me continue to use the photo.

Bob

HB3

Post by HB3 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Can we get back to the evils of Creationism, please? :wink:

drumman

Post by drumman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Well,
for me,as an Asheville resident,I am outraged, and p-o'ed-that some of the bands performing-don'y even have MOOG equipment,is'nt this more important to recognise than tongue in cheek slanting/hinting?BTW-being a somewhat liberal area,our papers have no problem taking issue with anyone,and everything ,no one is safe from comment here,so toe the line,eh?

peace to all,also(apologies for the thread hijack) I am a drummer-searching for a MOOG player in Asheville(ironic)
so someone,anyone-and yes,I know-[ots of korg and Yamaha players here :shock: :oops: :mrgreen:

DrumMan

73 minimoog
taurus pedals
Trapkat

Big Electric Cat

Post by Big Electric Cat » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:56 am

Okay, I'll admit this is my first post , but I've been trolling here for years. I'm sorry for whoever was upset by the supoort for Rally For Sanity, but if that's going to stop anyone from purchasing Moog products well... I'm not so sure I understand your motivation for being a musician. I like to make people happy, help them forget there troubles. Others like to express themselves. What are your motivations? This is Moog's forum for Moog enthusiasts. This is not the place for YOU to spout YOUR political views. Do that on your own forum. I'm sorry but to me you come across as talking from both sides of your mouth. I won't buy products from people whose political views I don't share, so we agree on that. So don't buy Moog stuff if it makes you uncomfortable. And keep your politics off this forum. BTW, I can't wait for Santa to bring me my Voyager XL and the SlimPhatty and the .... !!!

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:41 am

Mitchell Chastain wrote:Browsing facebook earlier today and noticed the "rally to restore sanity" link on the moogfest 2010 page. This makes me both angry and sad. I just can't believe moog would stoop to pushing their political agenda at an event such as this. It doesn't matter what side of the fence you're on, to me, this is not the venue for it. Don't they realize if they take a stand politically about half of their potential customers will be angered? (last polls still show the country split near 50/50). Besides all that, most people are aware of the problems with the country right now and this would have been a perfect weekend to just go hear some great music and forget all that for a minute....
What makes me the saddest is now, I will think 3 times before purchasing any more Moog gear, and believe me, I have a ton of it...new and old. I have trouble getting past these things. I'm sure I can't be the only one that feels this way.
This is just me expressing my feelings on this issue and in no way intended to spark a political debate. I couldn't care less what the forum's political views are.
Sounds to me like Mitchell is a Fox News Fan. Get over yourself dude. Moog can do whatever the hell they want. After all a corporation's free speech is protected by the Supreme Court - OR HAVEN'T YOU BEEN PAYING ATTENTION?
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:08 am

Ok, welcome as it's your first post.

But:
Big ElectricCat wrote:This is not the place for YOU to spout YOUR political views. Do that on your own forum.
The person who started this topic didn't say anything about their own political views. Nor did I when I posted. In fact I don't think anyone in this topic has said what their political views are.

The only thing that's been said by anyone concerned about this issue is in fact exactly what you're saying, that this forum isn't the place for political views - and nor is Moogfest. Some of us have been concerned that Moog themselves appeared to be introducing political issues. We didn't want the politics. We were concerned about it being introduced.

Regarding motivation for music, I can only speak for myself, but my motivation is to create something valuable for myself and others. When I receive emails saying how much my music has helped someone (as I did yesterday in fact), that confirms that I'm succeeding in what I'm trying to do. But creating music off the back of someone else's political idealogy isn't what my music is about, and nor is supporting some political ideology of someone else's in order to make music. As I said before, there are plenty of ways to make music, and using a Moog instrument is only one of them.

I find it amazing that several people here can't get their heads round the fact that neither the original poster, nor me, nor anyone else concerned about this issue has been in favour of political views being expressed. We've been treated as if we were in favour of politics when in fact we've been concerned about it and we've said we don't feel happy about Moog expressing political ideas.

We've now had a clarification from Moog and from the company who started the problem, and this issue is resolved. There's no need to bring it up any further. In the meantime we had a discussion about different people's concerns over issues in general like this one. Some people have concerns. Others don't. We differ. That's fine. There's no need to argue over it. There is, though, some need for people to try to appreciate other people's reasons and not dismiss them faceteously or impute things to people that they never said in the first place, and both of those things have happened.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and let's forget this issue which has now been resolved.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

Big Electric Cat

Post by Big Electric Cat » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:02 pm

As for getting cranky about the original poster's political views being expressed or not, I took the threat of his " What makes me the saddest is now, I will think 3 times before purchasing any more Moog gear, and believe me, I have a ton of it...new and old. I have trouble getting past these things. I'm sure I can't be the only one that feels this way." as a "political view". Quite possibly he feels as strongly as I do about keeping politics off this forum. So strongly that he'll think (3) times before purchasing Moog gear. I'll take your advice and drop the issue now. Also, thanks for welcoming me and from here on out I promise to keep things on a musical, Moog-ical level!