Maybe what they really should make next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks, I had just looked at the schemo.
But since the schemo and parts lists aren't easy to mix up and a P/V circuit is fairly complex, I'm not sure worrying is completely out of the question ;-)

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:18 pm

More CP-Style enclosure ideas:

Moogerfooger X-Series! (or something.)

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4184
www.ctrlshft.com

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:02 pm

Excellent and far more on-topic than the rest of us. ;-)

You know, you're basically saying that Moog should make two formats of their various devices. :)
It's not the dumbest idea I've seen either since their market is basically guitarists and synth heads.

Nice work!

ARP

Post by ARP » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:50 pm

Great job! This would be a great idea..I love the moogers, but hate the format. They may be nice for a guitarist's pedal board but in a studio, they are awkward, especially if your using a bunch of them. The current rack mounting solution isn't much better either, it takes up alot of space and still leads you on an expedition when you start patching them. They got it right with the CP box, it puts the jacks in view with easy access, just like the voyager' I/O jacks on top not behind the control panel. I'm sure they sell them, I know I'd buy some. Keep up the nice work, maybe Moog will give it some consideration.
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:10 am

It would not be that hard to convert to your own layouts... with the right electrical equip and parts.. all the pots have wires, and could be moved...

the leds and and the plugs seem to be the only big problem that is "locked in" to the board. I know there are ways to reroute them by adding on extensions or working/ desoldering. re-soldering. :)
Electronic Violinist here

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:05 pm

matt the fiddler wrote:It would not be that hard to convert to your own layouts... with the right electrical equip and parts.. all the pots have wires, and could be moved...
I have been trying to think of an easy way to do this ever since I bought my first MF. I totally agree with what everyone here is saying-- especially about the ridiculous rack set-up that Moog sells for the MFs...

Great mock-up CNTRLSHFT. Perfect.

The only drawback I see is that the guitar pedal format probably has allowed alot of people who would have otherwise never considered buying a stand-alone synth module access and introduction to these esoteric instruments. I guess you're not calling for replacement of that format though, just the addition of a more studio friendly format.

It's precisely what I would want.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:Thanks, I had just looked at the schemo.
But since the schemo and parts lists aren't easy to mix up and a P/V circuit is fairly complex, I'm not sure worrying is completely out of the question ;-)
I don't have the manual in front of me, but I'll take your word for it that I was reading it wrong... doesn't surprise me. This says something about my inexperience... but also the Japanese Manuals are so much less detailed and harder to read than their American counterparts. Go USA! :lol:

But I was under the impression that the C1685 in the circuit was under the heading of "special selected".

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:58 pm

the Japanese Manuals are so much less detailed and harder to read than their American counterparts.
Compare an EML 101 manual to a Roland JP-6 manual and get back to me.. ;-)

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:05 am

Kevin Lightner wrote:Compare an EML 101 manual to a Roland JP-6 manual and get back to me.. ;-)
Come on, Kevin... those dorky engineers from EML are hardly a common example of manual writing! You have to admit that Japanese manuals, on average, are unintelligible.
My favourite example: the manual to the Roland VS-880. I think every VS-880 user in history had to learn how to use it through experimentation or divination.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:52 pm

Well owner's manuals are another story.
Usually Roland does pretty well with their service manuals.
Their owners manuals often leave a lot to be desired though.

Ok.. try old Buchla schematics.
Don's a genius, but certainly not the producer of easy to read schemos. :)
Some old Oberheim schemos aren't fun either.

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:32 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:Well owner's manuals are another story.
Usually Roland does pretty well with their service manuals.
Their owners manuals often leave a lot to be desired though.

Ok.. try old Buchla schematics.
Don's a genius, but certainly not the producer of easy to read schemos. :)
Some old Oberheim schemos aren't fun either.
Ohhh, I see.
Yep, very unfortunately for me, much of ANY service manual contains hieroglyphics.
I was looking through the one for the MG-1 today as well as that of the Wersi Bass Synth and was completely clueless.
I propose that you create an online university of analog synth electronics! What you'd lose from me in repair income you might gain from me in tuition. : )
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:44 pm

museslave wrote: I propose that you create an online university of analog synth electronics! What you'd lose from me in repair income you might gain from me in tuition. : )
I second this request-- or maybe just a book, Kevin.

To be fair though, Museslave, there already are vast online resources for those who want to begin to learn electronic basics and elementary synth repairs. You just have to spend some time searching. I've been doing just this over the past six months or more and have collected a huge library of bookmarks... if you're becoming interested let me know...

But, then again, it would be nice to have a central consolidated site with all of this info easily accessable.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue May 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Haha!

See OP; 1 year later and we have the Old School!

Now if only they would use some of our other ideas... :)

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sun May 25, 2008 6:05 am

What about something cutting-edge and innovative, like, say, a LP Stage III without memory or MIDI?

Or maybe a 399€ chorus pedal
That would be exciting too
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun May 25, 2008 5:25 pm

I think one of the selling points for the LP is its RAC (Real Analog Control). So, when you are turning a knob you are both storing digital data for presets etc. and tweaking an analog parameter. This probably has a very similar "feel" to the OS Voyager.