So, who's gonna get one?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Going to get a "Little Phatty"?

Yes, definitely!
45%
No way.
No votes
No, I already have a Voyager.
39%
Yes, I already have a Voyager but I'm still getting one!
16%

Total votes: 31

museslave

Post by museslave » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:14 pm

sundaeclubber wrote:Er... You missed out

"No thanks, I've already got a Model D"
I'm with you, S. Clubber. : )
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

martin

Post by martin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:26 pm

i'm getting one. but not for now. I'll wait and see and probably will sell the voyager and get this one instead.
8)

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:34 pm

museslave wrote:

I've got a Model D and a Voyager and can't wait to get my LP.. I'm buying for my wife to supplement her MG1 and so we can finally get rid of our MS2000 :) ... However, I've seen it. Its absolutely GORGEOUS ! And is guarnteed to have a sound that will set it apart from other Moogs.

My first Moog was the Prodigy. My Model D and my Voyager can not sound like my Prodigy. It just won't happen.. You can get really close with the Voyager, but still you can't get that dirty cheap sound and feel (that most of us started off on and still love) of synths like the Prodigy, Rouge Micro, etc etc... I can't get my prodigy to sound like my MG1 even close. Or my Voyager in fact..

The point is - until he hear and he feel it -he shall shuteth thee upeth .. Lets not judge it yet kids :) It will sound PHAT !

PS.. I live in Humboldt County, CA so I don't mind the "Little Phatty" title, if thats what it has been confirmed as. - Nick
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:48 pm

Nick Putrid wrote:
museslave wrote:

I've seen it. Its absolutely GORGEOUS ! And is guarnteed to have a sound that will set it apart from other Moogs.
Please explain.

does that mean it doesn't sound anything like the voyager?

do you know if it uses the same filter and VCOs?

what does it look like?

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:49 pm

I know this has been covered already but I was just comparing the features on the Source with the new Moog, which are very alike...It will be a huge surprise if they reveal a basic step sequencer with the unveiling....

At least the new Moog will have parts readily available, warranty, lots of service centers, maybe updates…

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:52 pm

godzilla wrote:
Nick Putrid wrote:
museslave wrote:

I've seen it. Its absolutely GORGEOUS ! And is guarnteed to have a sound that will set it apart from other Moogs.
Please explain.

does that mean it doesn't sound anything like the voyager?

do you know if it uses the same filter and VCOs?

what does it look like?
From what I understood it has the same OSC and filters from the Voyager.....

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:13 pm

Not sure. If I did it'd be for linking with the Voyager for more complex sounds. But I may just get a Voyager RME and link that with the keyboard one. If there's something really different about the sound (and the right kind of difference) that'd swing it.

But it looks like it'll appeal to people who'd like a Moog with the classic tone but can't afford a Voyager. So if existing Voyager owners buy it, that'll either be for added tone complexity or as a second Moog for stage use.

I wonder how much our vote will tell us about sales prospects for the new synth, or whether the real indication will be an influx of new people for whom this is their first Moog synth.

theglyph

Re: So, who's gonna get one?

Post by theglyph » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:43 pm

OysterRock wrote:
theglyph wrote: How could you say this without hearing it in person. Did all of the early Moogs sound alike?
Well, there are a lot of things that I would rather have than ANY monosynth right now. Therefore, it doesn't really matter to me how it sounds! I don't need another monosynth. Anyway, if I were going to buy another monosynth it would be an RME to make my MMV duophonic.

If I had a bigger budget, I might consider it. It would be nice to take to a gig without having to worry about drunken idiots touching my $3000 synth.
Sorry OysterRock,

I see what you are saying. My poly is a Waldorf Q and it is a very important, powerful and beautiful part of my rig. For me a new Moog, poly or not, would be the cherry on top!!

I'm in Asheville right now, it's snowing (never seen that in Florida) and i'm taking a tour of the Moog factory tomorrow. I feel like i'm close to mecca. :D

But, don't deny yourself the temptation. :wink:

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:08 am

theglyph wrote: But, don't deny yourself the temptation.
Yeah, really. I say all this now, but I'm sure when I actually see it I'll be pinching pennies. :wink:

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:25 am

OysterRock wrote:
theglyph wrote: But, don't deny yourself the temptation.
Yeah, really. I say all this now, but I'm sure when I actually see it I'll be pinching pennies. :wink:
I've already started! It's an issue that is costing me food!! But it's well worth it!! :wink:

Can you spare some water??

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:58 am

Sweep wrote:I wonder how much our vote will tell us about sales prospects for the new synth, or whether the real indication will be an influx of new people for whom this is their first Moog synth.
i've been on this forum for ages and this will be my first moog synth,
although i did get an etherwave a couple of years ago, not sure if that really counts?

but there's a good point, etherwave pro owners who want to play around with some different sounds (and not just by adding effects) could play this with the theremin

you could plug the CV outs of each antenna into the pitch/volume ins and the audio output of the etherwave into the ext audio in on orbiter

three ocsillator synth/theremin combo for roughly the same price as the voyager!

sundaeclubber

Post by sundaeclubber » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:33 am

Nick Putrid wrote: My first Moog was the Prodigy. My Model D and my Voyager can not sound like my Prodigy. It just won't happen.. You can get really close with the Voyager, but still you can't get that dirty cheap sound and feel (that most of us started off on and still love) of synths like the Prodigy, Rouge Micro, etc etc...
Agreed Nick! That's why I kept my Prod too.
I can't get my prodigy to sound like my MG1 even close. Or my Voyager in fact..
Why the hell would you want to get anything as splendid as a Voyager to sound like a bloody MG1 for goodness sake!!?? .... Now I think of it, a very good friend of mine recorded Fairlight "Arr1" tapes for the Mellotron......
PS.. I live in Humboldt County, CA so I don't mind the "Little Phatty" title, if thats what it has been confirmed as. - Nick
Why's that? Is it the Obesity Capital County of California? ... I've seen the pics of your family, Nick... You're all slim and healthy looking... Are you letting your neighborhood down?... Nip out to McDonald's and Supersize yourselves immediately!!
Sundae Club* http://www.s-club.co.uk
Moog-Filled Album "TECHNOSTALGIA"
from
http://www.cdbaby.com/sundaeclub
and in your local iTunes store

http://www.myspace.com/sundaeclub

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:00 am

OysterRock wrote:It would be nice to take to a gig without having to worry about drunken idiots touching my $3000 synth.
that's one of my concerns as well... I'd like to have a new, stable, quality, (replaceable, god forbid) synth in my bands live line-up. I'm almost thinking about taking my Source out of the line-up (for drunken idiot reasons), but I'd much rather replace that brittle-sounding MG-1... and then we'd have stored patches all around too.

I do like the performance controls of the MG-1 though. Especially how the octaves have that toggle switch that can be clicked back'n'forth for that techno-style bass sound. but I guess that could be done on the new moog too, with it's octave up/down buttons (ala Source).

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:46 am

sundaeclubber wrote: Why's that? Is it the Obesity Capital County of California? ... I've seen the pics of your family, Nick... You're all slim and healthy looking... Are you letting your neighborhood down?... Nip out to McDonald's and Supersize yourselves immediately!!
LOL. Its basically the stoner capital of N. America.

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:22 pm

Why the hell would you want to get anything as splendid as a Voyager to sound like a bloody MG1 for goodness sake!!?? ....
I was just saying that, every Moog has its own charachter to it, and to try to excatly recreate the sound and feel of one Moog on another Moog is impossible...

I (unlike most) LOVE the cheesy poly section of the MG1 and along with those other cheap oscillators (oh I mean "tone sources") the thing sounds cheap, but unlike any other Moog I've owned :) .. I know other synths by Moog have the cheesey Poly section (Liberation,Opus3 etc), but because of differences in other parameters on these individual synths, the poly section then does different things. does the opus 3 have random shape modulation routings to the filter or oscillators ? I don't know for sure but I think not, which would then result in different patch abilities...

Anyway though, I still think that the LP wil have a sound feel and LOOK all its own, which is why my wife Anna must have one !!!!

- Nick
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28