Request info about 'twirl feel' of LP pots

Everything Phatty.
Tangsonghe

Request info about 'twirl feel' of LP pots

Post by Tangsonghe » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:46 pm

Dear all,

I just had the pleasure of testing a Little Phatty tribute in Turnkey, London.

A very nice little synth and #1 on my list for next synth purchase..

I have one question to LP users out there. How do your LP pots feel? I
found the demo model pots to be way too loose for my liking. They twirled with no resistance and were a bit wobbly. This made it difficult for me to enjoy their sensitivity and analogue nature, as I found it difficult to make tiny adjustments. The feel of synth knobs are almost as important as keyboard action, which on the LP is very nice. The LP knobs were looser than any other synth I've played and I wonder if its because its because its a demo with a few months of abuse on the clock.

Cheers, Tangsonghe

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:56 pm

I have heard numerous complaints about the LP's knobs, calling them loose and wobbly. I have experience with only one LP (mine) but the knobs feel fine on mine. I certainly would not call them loose. They do wobble a bit if you apply some sideways pressure to them, but I have never found the small amount of wobble alarming. I think it has to do with the kind of pots people are used to tweaking. The knobs certainly do not feel anything like the knobs on a Mini Model D, but they feel similar to other synths of today.

It is difficult to tell if the "loose and wobbly" knobs that people talk about is something that is in varying degrees on different LP's, or whether it is just dependant on what the individual user is used to feeling.

The knobs that I am referring to are the knobs on the tuning function and the one that changes the presets. The larger knobs in the different function sections feel just great to me.

I, for one, am happy with the knobs on my LP (and everything else, for that matter).
Thanks Bob!!

robles

Post by robles » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:14 pm

I haven't noticed them to wobbly. They are extremely easy to turn so you need to be careful when grabbing them so you don't make accidental adjustments. I don't mind myself because that little mechanical resistance means extreme precision, if you have a steady hand.