Moog SUB PHATTY

Everything Sub.
jags

Re: Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by jags » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:12 pm

thealien666 wrote:
jags wrote:Can anyone inform me what type of KB GATE this thing will need. Is it S-Trigger? +5 Volt? I'm looking at getting a analog sequencer and want to make sure the thing will work with the Moog Sub.
If the Sub Phatty is anything like all the other recent Moog Music stuff, the gate should be positive 5 volts pulse, and not S-Trigger.
Thanks! That's kind of what I expected.

museslave

Post by museslave » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:37 pm

amos922 wrote:If you havent heard the AutomaticGainsay videos on Youtube please go check them out. I would put the link up but I'm at work and youtube is blocked lol the SubPhatty sounds HUGE! It has tons of mod capabilities and "Under the Hood" features! I believe these are the best demo videos out right now!
You're very kind.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:23 am

Links!

The Moog Sub Phatty Part 1- Oscillators :
http://youtu.be/nLKiGwdMgig

The Moog Sub Phatty Part 2- The Filter:
http://youtu.be/Y5_Ox-3GPG8

The Moog Sub Phatty Part 3- Modulation Part 1:
http://youtu.be/e42_ou_OMkg

The Moog Sub Phatty Part 4- Modulation Part 2:
http://youtu.be/1wIhqY2NJyU

The Moog Sub Phatty Part 5- Envelope and Presets:
http://youtu.be/vOPoZjntOlY

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:19 pm

museslave wrote:Thank you for making me simultaneously burst out laughing and hang my head in shame.

If I can make myself stop watching Voyager on Netflix and stop drinking porter, it may be as soon as tomorrow morning, or Saturday morning for the first one. :)
I do what I can Marc. :) Sadly I've been too busy lately to even watch the new videos, but I've only been hearing good here, on VSE and your FB page. New furniture is all in now tho, so maybe I'll have some free time at home again heh.

Hagen

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Marc, as usual, a mini series of comprehensive and in depth look at the Sub Phatty. I always appreciate your reviews, and your honesty. Like the fact that you've mentioned that you were trying out a prototype, that could explain why sometimes some notes didn't sound on the keyboard (like the lower A note @0:43, and the higher D note @1:29 in the first video). I had noticed that in a NAMM 13 video, showing Bernie Worrell playing two Sub Phatties, that a note got stuck on one of them, and Bernie had to quickly slap the keys to shut it up. Prototype woes, I guess. Let's hope the production model doesn't suffer from such problems ?

Anyway, thanks again ! :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 pm

thealien666 wrote:Marc, as usual, a mini series of comprehensive and in depth look at the Sub Phatty. I always appreciate your reviews, and your honesty. Like the fact that you've mentioned that you were trying out a prototype, that could explain why sometimes some notes didn't sound on the keyboard (like the lower A note @0:43, and the higher D note @1:29 in the first video). I had noticed that in a NAMM 13 video, showing Bernie Worrell playing two Sub Phatties, that a note got stuck on one of them, and Bernie had to quickly slap the keys to shut it up. Prototype woes, I guess. Let's hope the production model doesn't suffer from such problems ?

Anyway, thanks again ! :D
Alain, I would have expected you to sense and describe the Filter Debacle in the filter video before this, but yes. Notes were dropped, especially in subsequent videos.
Thank you for your kind words. I know I have marred your opinion of me with my curmudgeonly ways, so it means a lot that you'd say this!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:20 am

I haven't had a chance to watch much of the videos except for the first OSC video (then somebody in my household whom shall remain nameless complained; I need to save my noisemaking for my Assmaster ... ummmm nevermind, where was I).

I just wanted to say that I like the part at the beginning where you shrink down and run across the keys like Robert Palmer in "looking for clues". Well maybe you didn't run across the keys, I imagined that part, but seriously, I think it's great that you continue to put together, after all of these years, these no-nonsense videos. For as much crap as there is on YouTube* there are not enough constructive, well put together videos and this series will hopefully be highlighted and seen by many.

*my 12 year old showed me the newest craze in pratfall/pranks; Take two gallons of Milk; one in each hand (or lemonade or one of each or what have you); walk down the produce aisle while your buddy records you on video, then make believe you slipped and fell, throwing the gallons airborne with all intentions on having them smash thus drenching an old lady, produce worker, or suit & tie guy (but hopefully not THE Suit & TIe guy). The good news is that with 3 clicks, I can disable his wireless internet access...
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 am

museslave wrote:
Alain, I would have expected you to sense and describe the Filter Debacle in the filter video before this, but yes. Notes were dropped, especially in subsequent videos.
Thank you for your kind words. I know I have marred your opinion of me with my curmudgeonly ways, so it means a lot that you'd say this!

Yes, well, I had read the "info" on that perticular section (filter) and knew about the "bug", so I didn't feel it necessary to mention it here again. After all, we all know that prototypes don't always behave normally.

As for my opinion of you, I think you might have assumed things a little. We might not always agree on everything, but that's perfectly okay by me. And it doesn't affect my opinion of you, which is that you're a great synth enthusiast that is ready to share his passion anytime with everyone and who also has a good sense of humor, and it shows in all the reviews you did, and continue to do so well.

It's true that I had thought that you might have become a little more biased towards Moog product, being involved with the Moog Foundation and all, but nevertheless you did a very unbiased and truthful review of Arturia'a Minibrute, and that has dissipated my little doubts about you.

Anyway, I'm always looking forward to your videos, be it synth reviews or otherwise.

Sorry for my bad english tonight, I'm on my tablet (not the drug but the device), and don't have my regular proofreading software with me. :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:19 am

Sub Phatty controlled by Dotcom Q960 :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FrcmEaetliw

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:40 am

modul8tr wrote:Sub Phatty controlled by Dotcom Q960 :

beautiful!
i am loving the sub phatty more and more each day, if they release a rack version around $500-600 (and poly chain gets implemented) i just may start building a small army of them, i was already thinking about it with the slim phatty.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:29 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:
modul8tr wrote:Sub Phatty controlled by Dotcom Q960 :

beautiful!
i am loving the sub phatty more and more each day, if they release a rack version around $500-600 (and poly chain gets implemented) i just may start building a small army of them, i was already thinking about it with the slim phatty.
Ditto on all points made! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

modul8tr

Post by modul8tr » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 am

The polar white finish has been bestowed upon Little Phatty, with cool blue LED accent lighting. It's IMO stunning. Matched with my DSI Poly Evolver, those two would make quite a pair, visually as well as sonically.

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/phatt ... y-stage-ii
Sweetwater says they will have in stock the week of March 10th.

Now that the entire Moog lineup has gone white, naturally I'm wondering if Sub Phatty will receive the polar white option on release? Or will we have to wait for the Sub Phatty Stage, rack, anniversary, and XL editions?

I realize small companies must be cautious, but who are we fooling? Sub Phatty will be a success.

I want my white phatty NOW. :twisted:

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 pm

I'd like to give well-deserved kudos to Marc's SP demo videos as well :) As much as I lusted after a Memorymoog replacement this season (at this point I'd settle for a highly competent repair tech in the Southwest US/New Mexico area! Anyone?), I think the Sub Phatty is going to enjoy a place of honor on some upcoming productions. Different enough from the Voyager & Minitaur for me, and I really love the aesthetics of it as well. Bring it on!
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:17 pm

I've just finished watching the Marc's vids. Thanks you Marc for your enthusiast, deep (p)review :)

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Hey, thanks a lot, you guys. I really appreciate the fact that you've watched them, and especially your kind words.

I put a lot of time and effort into them without recompense. It really makes it worthwhile when people appreciate it!