Custom Slim Phatty/ Minitaur Enclosure

Everything Phatty.
Bill Cosby

Custom Slim Phatty/ Minitaur Enclosure

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue May 01, 2012 8:04 pm

About three months ago I purchased a little phatty and fell in love with it. That was until I saw a Prodigy played live and knew that's what I was trying to make the phatty sound like and purchased one to replace the phatty.

Now that the phatty's been gone for all of about a week I'm having seller's remorse (if that is such a thing).

Anyway the gear addict in me wants to build a custom slim phatty cabinet enclosure but also put a minitaur in the same enclosure just to give myself some street cred (If that is such a thing).

I had this idea all of like five minuets ago so it's not well developed but I wanted to find out what other people had to say.

Somethings I'm already thinking about is how to link these two powerful instruments together in order to take advantage of their being side by side in such a way.

Also, would there be a way to split the keyboard so the minitaur could control say the lower half of the keybord. Could I salvage the keybed from another keyboard or would I need a more sophisticated MIDI/USB based setup. I would also want to have a port somewhere where I could plug in my computer to control Ableton or something.

I would also like to set it up to where the mini and slim could be sequenced by ableton for when I'm trying to get my dubstep on.

Anyway... this has more or less turned into stream of consciousness brain storming but what do y'all think? I'm currently in a live funk band that is trying to add some dubstep influences and I could see a setup like this being really useful as we get better at doing what were trying to do. However, I see this getting really expensive and ridiculous but some times that's O.K, right?

_DemonDan_

Re: Custom Slim Phatty/ Minitaur Enclosure

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 am

_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu May 03, 2012 9:54 am

I wan't to hear some of this live funk.

You can probably buy a keyboard from Fatar, but it might take some engineering on your part to get it to split voices. Im not sure exactly how easy a project like that would be. You might be further ahead just getting a rack and something like a manual from Synthesizers.com.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu May 03, 2012 11:45 am

Some larger MIDI keyboards (61 & 88 keys) have the ability to create "zones", so you could set up the Minitaur to respond to the lower notes and the Phatty to respond to the higher notes. They are generally pretty expensive though. If you are using a DAW in conjunction, you may be able to set up MIDI filters in the host software to send only a specific note range to a couple of synths from one keyboard. There are also small devices designed for such a thing, like this guy (I've mentioned it here a couple of times in other posts). Currently it is only available in a kit form, but it will be available pre-built shortly (I have one of the pre-built ones). What you could do is buy a cheap 61 or 88 keyboard, gut it and retrofit it into a custom case and use your DAW to set it up. What would look really cool is a gutted keyboard hardwired to a MIDIpal and everything fitted into a custom case with the MT and SP so no need for a daw! Hmmmmmmmm

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Bill Cosby wrote: Anyway... this has more or less turned into stream of consciousness brain storming but what do y'all think? I'm currently in a live funk band that is trying to add some dubstep influences and I could see a setup like this being really useful as we get better at doing what were trying to do. However, I see this getting really expensive and ridiculous but some times that's O.K, right?
Well, ya see, what you gotta do is, take the Slim Phatty and mix it with the Minitaur while using the Kodak film. Then ya gotta eat the Jello puddin' while wirin' up the power supply and usin' some kinda cable that allows two Moog products ta work at the same time. Then what ya gotta do is, hook up a keyboard with two MIDI outs while drinkin' the new Coke. Then you can play some jazz. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote: Anyway... this has more or less turned into stream of consciousness brain storming but what do y'all think? I'm currently in a live funk band that is trying to add some dubstep influences and I could see a setup like this being really useful as we get better at doing what were trying to do. However, I see this getting really expensive and ridiculous but some times that's O.K, right?
Well, ya see, what you gotta do is, take the Slim Phatty and mix it with the Minitaur while using the Kodak film. Then ya gotta eat the Jello puddin' while wirin' up the power supply and usin' some kinda cable that allows two Moog products ta work at the same time. Then what ya gotta do is, hook up a keyboard with two MIDI outs while drinkin' the new Coke. Then you can play some jazz. :)

Thank you Mr Chet Kincaid :D

Bill Cosby

Post by Bill Cosby » Sat May 26, 2012 6:22 pm

You guys and your crazy cosby humor. I like the ideas that came from this post. My prodigy just started making a weird noise today :cry: so this may have to happen sooner than later.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:43 am

Maybe build a case that has a 61 key keyboard for the bottom key row and a 37 key for the top row, sort of organ style. Put the Minitaur inserted to one side of the 37 key keyboard so all its controls are right there. Have the Slim Phatty above both keyboards. You may be able to route the various jacks around the back so you can consolidate.

||
|| Keyboard 1
||______________________________________________