post your voyager sounds

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Kenneth

Re: post your voyager sounds

Post by Kenneth » Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 pm

thealien666 wrote:P.S. A small piece of nitpicking if I may, the "volume pumping" caused by the (too) heavily compressed recording (or overuse of a limiter possibly), removes any kind of subtleties and blends everything into a pulp. You should let the music "breathe" a little more. But then again, the way it is now, maybe that's what you were looking for ? If so, simply disregard this post scriptum.
Hey, Alien, thanks for the critique! I agree with you completely, I think a lot of the intricacies of the song are cloaked by overcompression. I still have a lot to learn about music production and mastering, and this is certainly a portrayal of that. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out after a little more tinkering.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm glad you can take constructive criticism. And I want to point out that it is strictly a technical issue, and in no way affects the high quality of the music content.

If you heard some of my first synths recordings back in 1984 on tape, you wouldn't believe the crappy sound quality ! I've learned a lot since then, sometimes by trial and error...and mostly errors ! :lol: :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:25 pm

thealien666 wrote:I'm glad you can take constructive criticism. And I want to point out that it is strictly a technical issue, and in no way affects the high quality of the music content.

If you heard some of my first synths recordings back in 1984 on tape, you wouldn't believe the crappy sound quality ! I've learned a lot since then, sometimes by trial and error...and mostly errors ! :lol: :roll:
I'm always open to critique, which is why I post my work here. Most of the people I know don't understand enough of what I do to give me any valuable advice. There aren't a lot of producers in my area who understand electronic music ether, which is why I've taken it upon myself to try to learn how to do it myself.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:09 am

I must admit to having a lot of fun jamming with a synth lead sound from my Minimoog on your track "Outer Earth Part 1 by Symbol Swan". I really like that one Kenneth. :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:12 am

Hey, thanks a lot! That one is a couple years old now, but I guess it is still relevant. I get embarrassed when people tell me they like my older stuff, just because I'm so critical of myself. I always think "yuck, I didn't know anything back then!"

In all honesty, there's not a bit of analog in that song. All Arturia software and samples. I sampled myself striking a cardboard box and used that as the kick sound.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Kenneth wrote:...I sampled myself striking a cardboard box and used that as the kick sound.
:lol: Another proof that it's not so much what equipment is used, but rather the music that is made with it that really counts...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:41 am

thealien666 wrote:
Kenneth wrote:...I sampled myself striking a cardboard box and used that as the kick sound.
:lol: Another proof that it's not so much what equipment is used, but rather the music that is made with it that really counts...
Absolutely. My best friend and I once ran my Harmony electric guitar into the soundcard of his Win98 machine, and cranked the reverb. By dragging the pick across the strings and tapping the pickguard, we were able to create some eerie synth-like sounds. I think the ZIP disk with the file is around here somewhere...except, where am I going to find a ZIP drive these days? :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:18 am

Now that we're on the subject of sampling, I feel inspired to get back into it. Sampling used to be something I was really into, but somehow I got sidetracked with other stuff and that interest sort of fell by the wayside. I do greatly enjoy sampling things and using found sounds in my music, and I'm not really sure why I stopped. Thanks for bringing that up, Eric! :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:26 am

Kenneth wrote: Thanks for bringing that up, Eric! :)
Now I'm confused... :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Me too ?!? :?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:17 pm

thealien666 wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Me too ?!? :?
Oops. I must have gotten my threads jumbled and accidentally replaced Alien's name with "Eric", who I had been talking to in another thread... What I meant to say was that Alien mentioned liking one of the older songs I did that featured a lot of found sounds. I hadn't thought about it in a long time, and him bringing it up kind of made me re-examine some of the older music I did that used a lot of sampling.

I might be falling off my rocker. Sorry guys.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:34 pm

:lol:

I also do that sometimes, too... Being on different blogs at the same time, I get names and replies mixed-up ! I'm not as efficient at multi-tasking as my Mac. :mrgreen:

BTW, my name is Alain, if that can help sort things out...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:28 am

thealien666 wrote::lol:

I also do that sometimes, too... Being on different blogs at the same time, I get names and replies mixed-up ! I'm not as efficient at multi-tasking as my Mac. :mrgreen:

BTW, my name is Alain, if that can help sort things out...
That helps a lot!

http://www.soundcloud.com/ynnek001/window

I just got done recording this, I'd like to hear some opinions. :)

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:20 am

I dig the hell out of this. Very mellow. Good production.

You are getting along well with the os, yes?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:33 am

EricK wrote:I dig the hell out of this. Very mellow. Good production.

You are getting along well with the os, yes?
Oh we are getting along splendidly. I don't know if you were able to pick up on this, but all the drum sounds in that song came from the Voyager. She's a keeper all right. :D