Why is CV out so bad a**

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
aaronharmon

Why is CV out so bad a**

Post by aaronharmon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:09 pm

I am a guitarist and in another thread I asked what people thought of the MF-108M. Several people mentioned that they wished the the LFO had a CV out. Why? What would that accomplish? Could you show me a video that demostrates this idea?

Mr Shave

Re: Why is CV out so bad a**

Post by Mr Shave » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Im not a guitarist at all, but unless you plan to chain your foogers together, than it wouldnt matter to you. I think most of the people on this forum are synth/keyboard people. In that sense, the foogers provide semi-modularity in which you can control them with control voltages. The MF108 only has control voltage inputs which means that if you have another fooger with an LFO output (such as the Ring Mod), you can use that LFO output to plug into one of the input jacks on the 108M which would result in the LFO turning the knob at a regular interval rather than you having too... Because I think so many people on here use their gear with some kind of DAW, having a midi synced LFO (which the 108M is the only fooger to have) is extremely powerful... Not only that but the 108 offers a huge number of LFO waveforms that no other fooger has... But then on the other hand, there is no LFO output, which means that the power is lost by not being able to modulate other foogers or keyboards at a synced rate to midi clock...

As for the midi on the 108, I havent really explored that too much. I have used it to automate the LFO type and rate on a couple tracks though...

vasago

Post by vasago » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Seriously? Imagine the rate of the lfo controlling anything you want it to, like filter cutoff freq, volume, panning(if you have the ability to do so), pitch, resonance, etc etc.

Ok, heres a realistic example: Lets say you want to have the filter cutoff freq slowly rise and fall as you playing a solo, you can set the LFO rate to slow, and then have it control the filter cutoff freq.

To be honest, I need to find an analog way of a LFO controlling EQ, now that could be freaking sick! I am sure there is a modular way, but I dont has a modular :(
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

aaronharmon

Post by aaronharmon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:50 pm

OK, you sold me on it, but looking at the back of the 108, I can't imagine where they'd put it. I can't see how they could add that feature without removing another.

mhuxtable

Post by mhuxtable » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:28 pm

It sucks cos the 108 has a tap tempo....so you could control other CVs live with a tap as opposed to trying to dial in the right LFO speed.

aaronharmon

Post by aaronharmon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 pm

mhuxtable wrote:It sucks cos the 108 has a tap tempo....so you could control other CVs live with a tap as opposed to trying to dial in the right LFO speed.
That's an excellent point. Hopefully the good people at Moog read these threads and see all these great ideas.

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 pm

mhuxtable wrote:It sucks cos the 108 has a tap tempo....so you could control other CVs live with a tap as opposed to trying to dial in the right LFO speed.
I didnt even think of that! Thats fantastic! Too bad there is no output... haha