Minitaur USB dropout

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
artpunk

Re: Minitaur USB dropout

Post by artpunk » Wed May 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Mmm, yes I read that, I was thinking he could use a USB to MIDI interface, but I suppose that option will only help him with midi in on the Minitaur as there is no midi out... (but at least he would be able to play it from a usb equiped controller or from a DAW) thus making it not as useless to him...

:?
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

ampdecay

Post by ampdecay » Sat May 12, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm really confused now because its only dropped out once since my last post. Same thing though, it happened while using the LFO.

But yeah the USB is what I need because I'm using Ableton Live as a sequencer for a performance set up. I need my hands free to do other things like trigger all the clips and do effects and things like that. Thats the specific reason I got the minitaur in the first place, so I could have powerful bass but keep my cpu down to free it up for other uses. I was just using soft synths before.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:07 pm

ampdecay wrote:I'm really confused now because its only dropped out once since my last post. Same thing though, it happened while using the LFO.

But yeah the USB is what I need because I'm using Ableton Live as a sequencer for a performance set up. I need my hands free to do other things like trigger all the clips and do effects and things like that. Thats the specific reason I got the minitaur in the first place, so I could have powerful bass but keep my cpu down to free it up for other uses. I was just using soft synths before.
What rate was the LFO set at? Is it possible that the LFO was either too fast or slow, or that the rate was being changed too quickly?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

ampdecay

Post by ampdecay » Mon May 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Voltor07 wrote: What rate was the LFO set at? Is it possible that the LFO was either too fast or slow, or that the rate was being changed too quickly?

It was at 1/16th notes and it always happens when I'm changing the VCF LFO AMT from minimum to maximum values using the knob on the minitaur. It just happened again right before posting this so I'm absolutely sure that's what the settings are at.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:45 pm

I expected as much. I wonder if the Minitaur has a similar bug as the LP had, where if the LFO rate was set too high on the arp, the OS would shut down. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue May 15, 2012 4:50 pm

ampdecay wrote:
Voltor07 wrote: What rate was the LFO set at? Is it possible that the LFO was either too fast or slow, or that the rate was being changed too quickly?

It was at 1/16th notes and it always happens when I'm changing the VCF LFO AMT from minimum to maximum values using the knob on the minitaur. It just happened again right before posting this so I'm absolutely sure that's what the settings are at.
Voltor: No. Nothing in common with the LP bug to which you refer.

Ampdecay: You can check the firmware version in your MInitaur by sending it this sysEx message:

http://seamslikereality.com/moog/Minita ... on_Cmd.zip

Send the sysex, and you will see the MIDI LED on the MInitaur flash three times, accompanied by some number of blinks on the VCO1 and VCO2 Wave switch LEDs.
VCO1: number of blinks = major version (v1.0, v2.0)
VCO2 (first time): number of blinks = minor version (v1.1, v1.2). Can also blink "zero times."
VCO2 (second time): number of blinks = minuscule version (v1.1.1, v1.1.2). Can also blink "zero times."

Hope this makes sense... in practice I thought it was easy enough to decode the version number from this display; I hope you agree. :)

The likeliest explanation is that your unit isn't running the latest code with USB fixes... it's also possibly that you've discovered a special circumstance which we didn't see in testing here, in which case I'll gladly work with you to sort everything out.

Thanks,

Amos

till

Post by till » Thu May 17, 2012 8:32 am

And what is the newest firmware version? And where to get it?
I got 1.1 .
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

ampdecay

Post by ampdecay » Wed May 23, 2012 6:46 pm

I think the problem is entirely related to Ableton. i did exstensive testing using another DAW (FL Studio) and have yet to have a drop out.

ampdecay

Post by ampdecay » Wed May 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Amos wrote: Voltor: No. Nothing in common with the LP bug to which you refer.

Ampdecay: You can check the firmware version in your MInitaur by sending it this sysEx message:

http://seamslikereality.com/moog/Minita ... on_Cmd.zip

Send the sysex, and you will see the MIDI LED on the MInitaur flash three times, accompanied by some number of blinks on the VCO1 and VCO2 Wave switch LEDs.
VCO1: number of blinks = major version (v1.0, v2.0)
VCO2 (first time): number of blinks = minor version (v1.1, v1.2). Can also blink "zero times."
VCO2 (second time): number of blinks = minuscule version (v1.1.1, v1.1.2). Can also blink "zero times."

Hope this makes sense... in practice I thought it was easy enough to decode the version number from this display; I hope you agree. :)

The likeliest explanation is that your unit isn't running the latest code with USB fixes... it's also possibly that you've discovered a special circumstance which we didn't see in testing here, in which case I'll gladly work with you to sort everything out.

Thanks,

Amos

How do I send the sysex to it?

The rest sounds easy enough I just can't figure out how to send the sysex file

muksys

Post by muksys » Wed May 23, 2012 10:20 pm

ampdecay wrote: How do I send the sysex to it?

The rest sounds easy enough I just can't figure out how to send the sysex file
Go here. Scroll down towards the bottom and click on "applications". At the bottom of the dropdown menu, click on "C6 Sysex Manager". Choose your OS.

In C6, click on "Configure" and select the Mintaur's MIDI IN & OUT. Leave all other settings at default. Then click on "Send" and navigate to where you have the sysex file you want to send. Once you click "Open", it will send it. The Sysex file will now be in the C6 window. Just double click it to send if again if you missed it. Tried it on mine and it looks like I'm running 1.1.0. I'd expect it to be the first shipping version since I have #0007 8). I've tried other Sysex managers and this one is by far way more stable!

EDIT: I checked it again, and I think I have 1.0.1 actually. I'm sure if we worked at Moog it would be easier to decipher the blink sequence. :P It looks like each time a version # is complete, the MIDI LED blinks. There was a pause between VCO1 & VCO2 blinks, so, uhhh, yeah, Blink, No Blink, Blink. Da Da Da.

EDIT (The Sequal) OH I get it, the MIDI LED Blinks before each version #. So, MIDI Blink - VCO1 Major #, MIDI Blink, VCO2 Minor #, MIDI Blink, VCO2 Minuscule #. So yeah, 1.0.1

ampdecay

Post by ampdecay » Thu May 24, 2012 7:58 pm

I have firmware 1.0.5

szttt

Post by szttt » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:57 am

Hi, I faced the similar problem but I could not force the connection to be dropped by setting VCF LFO AMT from min to max. It just happens, USB connection is lost after a while. I would use Minitaur on stage too.
Minitaur Firmware: 1.0.5
Ableton 8.3
MacBook Pro 13" early 2011

ampdecay

Post by ampdecay » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:32 pm

I ended up getting a USB MIDI interface like the person at the top suggested. (I didn't know they existed before that)

I'm upset I had to go that route because it cost an extra $42 but it also has faithfully worked using the USB to MIDI interface.

I got the M-Audio UNO and have not had a single drop out. I've played a gig with it and it worked flawless.

Again just upset I had to spend even more and get an additional piece of equipment to make it work the way its advertised to work.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:40 am

ampdecay, I'm sorry for that! if I recall correctly you are on firmware v1.0.5, correct?
email me (amos at moogmusic) for firmware v1.0.7, if it solves your issue and you don't need the USB MIDI interface for any other purpose perhaps you could still return it?

Cheers,

Amos