cv in to cv out

Everything Phatty.
dan thacker

cv in to cv out

Post by dan thacker » Sun May 20, 2012 1:56 pm

I know this has been asked before,and for that I apologize.
Has anyone tried [on a cv mod phatty],to feed the cv out to cv in with any satisfying results.I've tried it and heard no notable changes,but I suspect that might be due to my lack of knowledge.

ricknboogie

Re: cv in to cv out

Post by ricknboogie » Sun May 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Control Voltages can be used for just about anything. But yes, you do need to know what it is you're trying to accomplish first, rather than just patching cords from one place to another.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Sun May 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Only to mess with the signal path,nothing epic.

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Mon May 21, 2012 11:33 am

My favorite little trick is to send osc2 to an effect and then feed it back into the external input. Not sure if most Phatties can do do this. I modified mine so the modulation source is pre-mod wheel. I forget, if one has the amount knob(for modulation target) all of the way down and the mod wheel all the way engaged what appears at the mod cv out. Full signal or no signal?
Anyhow, I primarily use this trick with a ring mod, as ring mod bleedthrough drives me insane. I turn Oscillator 2 volume(Phatty mixer volume) all the way down. Select osc2 as modulation source. Patch the unattenuated cv mod signal into a ring modulator and send the effected signal back to the CP-251 attenuators for volume control. The signal then reenters the Patty via external in. The CP-251 then can be a source for the ring mods XorY. The CP-251's LFO rate is controlled by biased mixer(to achieve audio frequencies) and the Little Phatty's Pitch out.
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon May 21, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm pretty sure that you'll just get a transposed tone.

I have the mod but haven't tried but the CV Pitch out is just a voltage based on the keypressed; when patched back to the CV IN, it is an offset of the keypressed so it will result in a pitch being much higher than the note you would normall play based on the position of the octave buttons. (at least that's how the Voyage Old School works)

I'm just guessing. Worth a try but not going to do anything too interesting.

((EDIT: Well I tried it and it was interesting and I racked my brian trying to figure out what was going on but couldn't work it out. More time needed. Apparently, depending on the octave you are on, there is one key that is near dead on; then they scale in what seems to be an exponential pattern going up and less so going down (somehow). It's as if somebody screwed with the alternate tuning scales.

I have a souped up Walking Stick ribbon controller that I have not yet tried on my Phatty (bought it for VOS) but will try to see how CV in behaves with that. Certainly on Voyager, once tuned to a CV range, the ribbon is an 'offset' from whatever base note was last played.))
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Wed May 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Thank you for your answers,I appreciate your time.Looks like it's off to Shitsville to buy patchcords.

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Thu May 24, 2012 12:22 pm

I use these for my modular. Great quality and youwon't have to go to the GC. http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mercha ... =all-patch
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 pm

EMwhite wrote:I'm pretty sure that you'll just get a transposed tone.

I have the mod but haven't tried but the CV Pitch out is just a voltage based on the keypressed; when patched back to the CV IN, it is an offset of the keypressed so it will result in a pitch being much higher than the note you would normall play based on the position of the octave buttons. (at least that's how the Voyage Old School works)

I'm just guessing. Worth a try but not going to do anything too interesting.

((EDIT: Well I tried it and it was interesting and I racked my brian trying to figure out what was going on but couldn't work it out. More time needed. Apparently, depending on the octave you are on, there is one key that is near dead on; then they scale in what seems to be an exponential pattern going up and less so going down (somehow). It's as if somebody screwed with the alternate tuning scales.

I have a souped up Walking Stick ribbon controller that I have not yet tried on my Phatty (bought it for VOS) but will try to see how CV in behaves with that. Certainly on Voyager, once tuned to a CV range, the ribbon is an 'offset' from whatever base note was last played.))

Did you have Auto tune on? I found when trying to drive the Phatty via Pitch CV in, the auto-tune for some reason produced crazy wild pitch shits. Make sure Tuning is set to
'Off'

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 pm

No, I don't use AutoTune. I'll get my Pitch ribbon hooked up next week and play with some other CV gear to see if I can figure out a pattern or possibly some stupidity experienced the first time I played around with it. It's not a problem per se, just a curiosity.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:29 am

I assume that this was already discussed...
Is it possible to mod Slim Phatty for CV out?
That would be great!
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.