Soon-to-be Voyager owner

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Kenneth

Soon-to-be Voyager owner

Post by Kenneth » Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 am

Hi everyone. I've been around on the Moog forums for a long time now, but I've been a Little Phatty owner so I haven't had a reason to be in the Voyagr threads. Until now.

I just purchased a Voyager Old School on eBay... Should be here within two weeks. I'm not going to be able to sleep at all! :D
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

thealien666

Re: Soon-to-be Voyager owner

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:23 am

Oh man, are you in for a treat !

You won't have enough of two hands now with all those fantastic knobs!

Congrats on taking the plunge, and lightening your wallet too... :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed May 16, 2012 10:39 am

thealien666 wrote:Congrats on taking the plunge, and lightening your wallet too... :mrgreen:
I looked at my online bank statement a few minutes after the transaction went through. Didn't feel bad at all. :lol:

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:51 am

I've had an Old School for about a year, and only sold it so I could get my hands on both a Minimoog D and a Korg Mono/Poly.

For the time I've had it though, it was great.

Is yours a brand new, unsold unit or a second hand one ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed May 16, 2012 11:34 am

Mine's a secondhand unit that I bought from Armen's Music in New York City. The item description said it is in mint condition, having been used only a handful of times, and from the photos I saw it looks to be immaculate. Oh, and they are including the Moog molded ATA case! :)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Kenneth wrote: Oh, and they are including the Moog molded ATA case! :)
That's great. That means that it can't very much be damaged during shipping. :D

You're lucky that they don't ship it in the original Moog cheap flimsy cardboard box that comes with it... You'd think Moog could spend more than a couple of bucks on a proper shipping enclosure for such valuable synths ? :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed May 16, 2012 2:32 pm

thealien666 wrote:
Kenneth wrote: Oh, and they are including the Moog molded ATA case! :)
You'd think Moog could spend more than a couple of bucks on a proper shipping enclosure for such valuable synths ? :roll:
I couldn't agree more. When I recieved my (undamaged) Little Phatty all those years ago, I was both shocked and relieved that it had made the journey without being hurt in any way. The only packaging Moog put it in was a cardboard box and two blocks of styrofoam!

The fact that they included the ATA case was actually the biggest selling point for me- I could have bought a brand new Old School for a couple hundred more, but there was no way I was going to risk not recieving it in one piece. Especially when UPS is handling it!

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Wed May 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Kenneth wrote:I just purchased a Voyager Old School on eBay... Should be here within two weeks. I'm not going to be able to sleep at all! :D
I know the feeling.... But don't expect to get any slep when it arrives either :lol:
Congrats by the way, it a beautiful instrument !

A question I've always asked myself about the old school... Why does it have those grey markings around the knobs ?
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Wed May 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Red Bull..... the weekend/day off drink of Voyager owners. :mrgreen:

Congrats on the new synth.
If you have the time, please post a pic or two. (I love looking at synthesizer pictures.)
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed May 16, 2012 3:07 pm

fyvewytches wrote:
Kenneth wrote:I just purchased a Voyager Old School on eBay... Should be here within two weeks. I'm not going to be able to sleep at all! :D
I know the feeling.... But don't expect to get any slep when it arrives either :lol:
Congrats by the way, it a beautiful instrument !

A question I've always asked myself about the old school... Why does it have those grey markings around the knobs ?
I just got through reading a review that Sound On Sound did for the Old School: Apparently those "grey markings" are for inexperienced synthesists to get back to a "default patch" if they get too lost tweaking knobs. I think it's useless, but I'm not complaining either. Those marks seemed to really bother the reviewer though.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed May 16, 2012 3:11 pm

analoghaze wrote:Red Bull..... the weekend/day off drink of Voyager owners. :mrgreen:

Congrats on the new synth.
If you have the time, please post a pic or two. (I love looking at synthesizer pictures.)
I will be sure to post plenty of pics. I share your love of looking at pictures of synthesizers. There's something about those knobs I just find so... Attractive.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Kenneth wrote: When I recieved my (undamaged) Little Phatty all those years ago, I was both shocked and relieved that it had made the journey without being hurt in any way. The only packaging Moog put it in was a cardboard box and two blocks of styrofoam!
When I bought my Alesis Ion, which cost much less than a Moog Voyager but is still a very interesting virtual analog, it was packed in bubble wrap, and held in place by 4 big styrofoam braces, in a double-wall, heavy-duty cardboard box. I could literally stand on that box, and nothing would get damaged inside that box.

And I'm sure that this robust packaging still doesn't cost more than $15 at the most... Moog's packing must be worth no more than 2$. :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

filtered

Post by filtered » Thu May 17, 2012 12:16 pm

that's awesome! enjoy! while you await arrival, go get a stereo 1/4 inch -> 2 mono 1/4 inch "Y" cable, and a 2 mono port in/one stereo plug out adaptor!
you'll plug the Y cable stereo plug into the mixin/out port, and its 2 mono plugs into the adaptor, plugged into the ext in port- then turn your ext in knob on the mixer up to around 75%- makes the overall tone perfecto! I haven't played a show or recorded anything without doing this first- here's photo proof from last weekend!: Image

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu May 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Congrats! You'll be in Moog heaven pretty soon.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm

filtered wrote:that's awesome! enjoy! while you await arrival, go get a stereo 1/4 inch -> 2 mono 1/4 inch "Y" cable, and a 2 mono port in/one stereo plug out adaptor!
you'll plug the Y cable stereo plug into the mixin/out port, and its 2 mono plugs into the adaptor, plugged into the ext in port- then turn your ext in knob on the mixer up to around 75%- makes the overall tone perfecto! I haven't played a show or recorded anything without doing this first
Hey, thanks for the tip! I'm probably going to hold off on this until it arrives- so I can actually see what I'm doing before I run an errand.

What exactly does this trick do to the tone?