FreqBox v Ring Mod - Gongs & Extra VCOs

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Roy

FreqBox v Ring Mod - Gongs & Extra VCOs

Post by Roy » Sat May 12, 2012 3:03 am

Hi there,

I'm currently looking at a mooger to add to my rig, which is a Doepfer Dark Energy, a path panel SEM, a CP-251, Cluster Flux and a Frostwave Resonator. I can't work out if I should get the Ring Mod or FreqBox. What I am waying up:

1 - I am really into gong sounds at the moment, I know that ring mods are a a traditional way to do them, but what about the FreqBox - will it Gong On?

2 - I'm feeling a bit constrained by my weave shapes on the SEM and DE - lots of squares and sawtootths. I love stacked sine/triangle waves moving in unison (used to do when I had a SH-5, and then Voyager, sadly both gone). I have a print out of the Lord of the Ring Mod stuff, so I know how to woth the RM like a VCO.

So which of these do you think suits my needs best? Which offers the most to my rig?

Cheers,

Roy

EricK

Re: FreqBox v Ring Mod - Gongs & Extra VCOs

Post by EricK » Sat May 12, 2012 11:45 am

The Ringmod is your best bet for clangorous sounds. The Freqbox, not so much.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:22 pm

I had a ring mod but sold it stupidly. I think it has the greatest capability to change a sound than almost any other kind processor. With your setup, I'd go with it, but if you don't have a delay I'd get one first.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat May 12, 2012 2:58 pm

I've got both and have used both as an OSC. Obviously, the FreqBox is more capable since it has a sweeping (variable) wave shape and also an envelope follower. Ring mod, well you know all about that and as Eric said, if you're into clanging, it's your thing. Ringmod also give quite a good LFO though I see you already have a FreqBox.

I don't put much stock into the FreqBox as a sound source if trying to use it with Guitar or Bass, it's far to glitchy. Better following synth tones but IMO, the circuit needs a mod. I bought a MOTM-120 for my modular and it has an sub-octave (x4) circuit that acts similarly to that of the FreqBox (which follows dead on) and it is also glitchy to the standpoint that it drops out at certain frequency ranges. It's a 'divider' circuit so not exactly the same but one of those really smart guys came up with a simple fix which requires soldering in a pair of low value (pF range) caps and fixes it. I wonder if the FreqBox can be mod'ed similarly.

Back to your question, you should go for the RingMod. Get the FreqBox next, they are relatively inexpensive if you just want one. If more than one, may be better served buying a 2 OSC module of some type because now you are up into the $700 range.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat May 12, 2012 3:25 pm

The ringmod is better as an Osc because it has a wider range and it more stable. I have found it much easier to get to track with my Micromoog than the Freqbox.

The Freqbox does have a continuously variable waveshape control. I use mine more as a pitch destination for my sequencer than I use with other instruments.

The Ringmod can be used as a simple VCA, an Osc, an audio modifier, and a voltage source, so Id say that it is more versatile hands down than the Freqbox.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat May 12, 2012 4:01 pm

EricK wrote:The Ringmod can be used as a simple VCA, an Osc, an audio modifier, and a voltage source, so Id say that it is more versatile hands down than the Freqbox.
I would not jump so quick about one being more versatile than the other.
Both are unique. The RM is amont the best sounding effects that I have heard. Way better than any other ring mod that I have tried.

The freqbox is so good at distorting the Voyager that it is bliss to me.
Put it in the mixer out/filter in jack and it makes the Voyager sound unlike anything there is.

I would really recommend the RM considering what you are asking for.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Roy

Post by Roy » Sat May 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks for your replies, it seems like the ring mod is the winner for me then.

Cheers,

Roy

Roy

Post by Roy » Tue May 15, 2012 4:33 pm

HI All,

Picked up the RIng Mod yesterday, and it does all I wanted to do and more to boot. It tracks well, and I found it easy enough to tune in with the 1volt per octave output from my Dark Energy. It's great addition to the rig, so thanks again,

Roy

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Wed May 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Roy, what an amazing strange array of devices you are collecting. I would say you think different if that wasn't taken already.

Real exploration and creativity comes from the small boxes I find. Bigger is not better, well ok, sometimes it is.

Have fun!
B
I've stopped talking now.

Roy

Post by Roy » Fri May 18, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks for that. I love CV and don't get midi, and am not so keen on scrolling through menus either, so it's plug and play for me. If I want to synch anything accurately I can use one of the aux CV sends controlled off protools. I'm pretty happy with it as a rig, would like a CV keyboard at some stage though.

Cheers,

Roy