Minitaur USB dropout

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
emanresu

Minitaur USB dropout

Post by emanresu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Hello,
I am having problems with the Minitaur losing its USB connection. This usually happens after about 5 minutes into using it. I am on a Macbook Pro using Live 8.3.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Thanks.

Amos

Re: Minitaur USB dropout

Post by Amos » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:00 am

We're testing a Minitaur firmware update right now, which fixes a very low-level USB issue that can cause dropouts. Please contact techsupport at moogmusic dot com if you haven't already, and Rosser can get you the new firmware to try...

emanresu

Post by emanresu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote="Amos"]We're testing a Minitaur firmware update right now, which fixes a very low-level USB issue that can cause dropouts. Please contact techsupport at moogmusic dot com if you haven't already, and Rosser can get you the new firmware to try...[/quote

Thank you, I got in touch with Rosser this morning and got the new firmware.
Also I plugged the Minitaur directly into my computer instead of using a USB hub and the Minitaur
Hasn't had any dropouts yet.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:41 am

please also try the original configuration with the hub, using the new firmware... I am curious to know if the hub still causes a problem or if that is also fixed by the firmware change. Thanks!

secmast

Post by secmast » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:56 am

Hi,

I've got the same issue when I loose connection to the Minitaur using USB the only way to recover it is to power cycle the unit.

ausgeno

Post by ausgeno » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 am

Hi, my Minitaur isn't dropping out but I'm getting stuck notes in Ableton and I have to turn the Minitaur on/off to stop the note. I'm also connected via USB and am interested in trying the new firmware to see if it resolves it - is that possible?

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:07 am

I'm getting dropout from the iPad phaedra app sequencing the minitaur, it will run fine for a while then (seemingly randomly) drop connection. Sometimes it seems to happen when I do a bit of knob tweaking, sometimes it just happens... :?: Will contact support as Amos suggested above (@ausgeno, I suggest you do the same) to get the firmware update. Since getting the minitaur I have realised I need to upgrade my laptop as well, my old G4 powerbook just won't cut it anymore (the Minitaur editor software won't run on ppc architecture, damn!)
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:13 am

Same here, just looses midi over USB after a while. Especially bad if using a hub.

I have emailed Rosser, fingers crossed the fix will work.

Cheers

Andy

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Wed May 02, 2012 11:58 pm

The firmware update seems to have fixed the USB drop out proble for me, but keep in mind I have only tested it using phaedra on my IPad running to the Minitaur via camera connection kit. :D
Cheers,
Cameron

Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

secmast

Post by secmast » Thu May 03, 2012 6:11 am

By the way, after the upgrade I still loose the USB from time to time.
I also noticed that the LFO is not working sometimes, I don't know yet if this is the beginning of the problem before loosing the USB.

secmast

Post by secmast » Sat May 05, 2012 8:05 am

secmast wrote:I also noticed that the LFO is not working sometimes, I don't know yet if this is the beginning of the problem before loosing the USB.
My mistake, I use my Korg joystick for the pitch but it also send CC 1 or CC 2 (up and down).
As soon as the Joy is back to the middle the value set for mod wheel is 0 when it should be 127.
Got a SW setup to lock JS for mod wheel and got it sorted now.

ampdecay

Post by ampdecay » Tue May 08, 2012 7:37 am

After installing the firmware update I am still getting USB Midi drop outs. I am using Ableton Live 8 on a Windows 7 laptop. I got the minitaur solely because of the USB capabilities so this is very upsetting to me.

The drop outs seem to occur when messing with the LFO while notes are being played.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP, my Minitaur is useless until this is fixed and I'm not happy paying $600 for a little black box that does NOTHING.

ausgeno

Post by ausgeno » Tue May 08, 2012 9:48 pm

I use it with Win 7 and Ableton 8 as well and I don't experience any USB drop-outs, just the occasional stuck note which only happens when I control the Minitaur with my DX7. Are you using a USB hub or anything that could be causing the problem?

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Wed May 09, 2012 6:02 am

ampdecay wrote:After installing the firmware update I am still getting USB Midi drop outs. I am using Ableton Live 8 on a Windows 7 laptop. I got the minitaur solely because of the USB capabilities so this is very upsetting to me.

The drop outs seem to occur when messing with the LFO while notes are being played.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP, my Minitaur is useless until this is fixed and I'm not happy paying $600 for a little black box that does NOTHING.
ampdecay - are you absolutely sure your update took? The reason I'm asking is that the usb dropouts that occured for me prior to updating the firmware were exactly as you described - when fiddling with the LFO. I have had no problems since updating the firmware however... also your Minitaur isn't useless if you use the 5-pin DIN midi connection into the Minitaur.
Cheers,
Cameron

Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:31 am

artpunk wrote:Also your Minitaur isn't useless if you use the 5-pin DIN midi connection into the Minitaur.
Ampdecay did say that he wanted to specifically use the USB connectivity so I guess 5-pin DIN MIDI is not an option. In any case it's worrying to hear about these issues with the Minitaur. I can fully appreciate Ampdecay's frustration. It's so annoying when you spend your hard earned on equipment that ships we've these kinds of issues. Fair enough Moog seem to have been quick in getting a firmware update out (thus acknowledging that there is a problem). But this stuff should check out before the thing goes into production shouldn't it? We've come to expect more from the likes of Moog. Sign of the times I guess :( Everything seems to ship with an issue these days! Just glad I'm still having such a hard time getting one of these in the UK after reading this :?