MP201 Questions

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
zorch

MP201 Questions

Post by zorch » Sat May 05, 2012 11:07 pm

So I just got a 201 and I think its great. I've been using it a bunch with my little phatty.

2 questions.

1. Right now CV1 of the MP201 is going to pitch on the little phatty cv input. So say I assign a LFO to CV1 and make the pedal control the rate. Now I want to use the pedal in a musical way to create expressive effects, but once the heel amount = 0 I dont want the Square wave (or whatvever else the lfo may be) to effect the pitch anymore... How can I make it that heel amount = 0 will send no lfo to the pitch whatsoever. I only want it to activate when I begin to use the pedal and turn off... so I can play more note based things... once the heel amount = 0

2. How can I make the lfo retrigger on each note hit... is that possible. So say once again I have an lfo going to pitch out of CV1... I want to make it so that every time I hit a note the pitch starts on what that note actually is then the lfo warps the pitch of the note based on whatever settings i might have... but I always want it to begin on the actual pitch and the lfo to reset each time.

yesman

Re: MP201 Questions

Post by yesman » Sun May 06, 2012 10:36 am

Zorch,
1. To set the LFO so that at a pedal position of zero there is no LFO signal sent, set your channel parameters as follows -
LFO AMOUNT - 0 (SETS THE INITIAL AMOUNT)
HEEL VALUE - 0 (SETS THE VALUE FOR THE HEEL POSITION OF THE PEDAL)
INITIAL VALUE - 0 (SETS THE INITIAL AMOUNT WHEN THE CHANNEL IS TURNED ON AND WHEN IT IS OFF)

2. I don't see that there is a way to control the start position of an LFO in the MP. The LFO SYNC options are for the LFO RATE. It would be nice to be able to use a gate input (from MIDI) as a reset with a specified start point. Maybe a V3 addition? You can do some tricks with the ENV's hold and looping functions (page 4 2.0 addendum), but it's not the same.

3. You can set the display to show PRECISION (0-4095), MIDI (0-127) OR VOLTS (+/-5V OR 0-5V) in the analog world (at least relating to the MP / Phatty connection) +1V equals 1 octave of pitch change so divide that by 12 and you get (0.083333.....). This is the voltage required to change a half-step (say from C to C#). You can figure the rest from here.

Any additions and or corrections is appreciated.

zorch

Post by zorch » Sun May 06, 2012 4:17 pm

YESMAN!

Thanks so much. So that answers most my questions. My only follow up is...

If you want the pedal to control rate as opposed to amount. It seems as if my setup is sending CV1 out to Pitch and that CV is sending a LFO (Set on square for example) .... So LFO AMOUNT - set to 0... heel value - 0 and initial value 0.

But now I want the pedal to control rate, even with the pedal all the way to heel the lfo is still sending at a very slow rate to the pitch.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon May 07, 2012 8:50 am

I have no idea where MP-201 is on the development schedule (what Amos is working on now or when the next release might be) but assuming there is room in code (enough memory to add the feature code) I'm sure he would be up for adding a LFO restart.

He's done it on most of the products, it's a great feature and since the LFOs are purely software driven, relatively easy to do. (easy for me to say : )
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

yesman

Post by yesman » Sun May 13, 2012 10:02 am

Zorch,
So what you're saying is that you are using the pedal to control the LFO rate and you're settings are as you noted (in this case the heel value will be for the LFO rate) and you are still getting a CV out. With the pedal forward, in the toe position is the amount changing or just the rate?

zorch

Post by zorch » Wed May 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Yesman,
With the pedal forward to toe, just the rate is changing. So even when the heel is all the way down, the pitch is very slowly rising up and down. Is there some sort of error in the way I have this set up? Or do I just need to turn off that channel when Im not using the expression part?

yesman

Post by yesman » Mon May 21, 2012 6:48 am

Zorch,
Run through your set-up again, try setting the remaining 3 channels off. Somewhere signal is getting thru.
I don't have any other ideas right now.