Need Moog Opus replacement sliders please

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
hand solo

Need Moog Opus replacement sliders please

Post by hand solo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:23 am

Hi there..newbie here looking for some parts. have an Opus 3 in need of some replacement sliders. did a search
here with no luck or leads. it is in the shop waiting for these parts.

specifically 2x 1 meg audio taper and quantity 1 of 10K linear taper. so i bought a "membership" at this Technology Transplant
place, have emailed them numerous times about buying the parts, and have heard nothing back.

does anyone have any spares, or any cross-reference part numbers for suppliers like DigiKey, Mouser, etc.?

i find it hard to believe that TT is the only place with these parts.

while i'm at it, could use a few replacement color slider caps.

thank you for your time.

muksys

Re: Need Moog Opus replacement sliders please

Post by muksys » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:16 pm

That company is bittersweet. I ordered the slider kit for my Rogue from them without any issues. I needed some replacement slider caps, but they didn't have just those, I would have had to buy them with replacement switches, which I didn't need. I emailed them both from their eBay store and their website several times each. None of the emails were replied to. After a couple of weeks, I was looking on ebay for the caps, and they had just them for sale. Not sure if it was from my email or it was a coincidence. But, I did see they have the whole slider package for the Opus for sale on their site. Personally, if I needed to replace a couple of sliders, I'd do them all regardless. If they are the originals, it's only a matter of time before those will need replacing. Best to get it over with in one sitting. If I'm not mistaken, they are the only company that manufactures their parts instead of selling NOS.

I did look at the usual places online for NOS parts and came up nil for Opus sliders.

hand solo

Post by hand solo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:24 pm

thank you muksys. my service guy says 123.00 (plus 15.00 shipping)from TT isn't bad for the whole set of sliders. i just hope it doesn't take 2 months to get here (like i've heard).

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:48 pm

A friend of mine has bought the MG-1 kit from them (technology transplant) without any issues, and we live in Canada. Took about 4 weeks to arrive well packaged.

He now enjoys a perfectly working MG-1 again, with brand new toggle switches, sliders, and plastic slider caps.
Last edited by thealien666 on Wed May 16, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Elgo

Post by Elgo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:55 pm

hand solo wrote:Hi there..newbie here looking for some parts. have an Opus 3 in need of some replacement sliders. did a search
here with no luck or leads. it is in the shop waiting for these parts.

specifically 2x 1 meg audio taper and quantity 1 of 10K linear taper. so i bought a "membership" at this Technology Transplant
place, have emailed them numerous times about buying the parts, and have heard nothing back.

does anyone have any spares, or any cross-reference part numbers for suppliers like DigiKey, Mouser, etc.?

i find it hard to believe that TT is the only place with these parts.

while i'm at it, could use a few replacement color slider caps.

thank you for your time.
You and I are in the same boat - I have an Opus III that I am looking to restore. Let me know if you find another place that stocks the parts, and I will do likewise!

hand solo

Post by hand solo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:00 pm

will do !

hand solo

Post by hand solo » Tue May 15, 2012 11:36 pm

more frustration with Technology Transplant....i tried to use Buy it Now to get the Realistic Moog MG-1 slider kit they had on eBay (has some common parts as Opus 3) and got a message "Transaction Blocked"

then went to their website , and tried to order the same, and the transaction did not go through. as mentioned before , i paid
10.00 for the Privilege of a membership.

what the hell is up with these guys?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:13 am

Could it be a Paypal issue maybe? (they use exclusively that payment method)

Is your address confirmed on Paypal ? If not, that might be it... I'm only guessing here.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

hand solo

Post by hand solo » Wed May 16, 2012 3:25 pm

still no luck with BIN on eBay, but was able to order thru TT's site. i got the Realistic MG-1 slider kit
because it has at least two of each of the sliders i needed....the hard-to-find 10k linear taper and 1M audio taper
sliders.

these are compatible parts with the Opus 3, Rogue, and MG-1.

the MG-1 kit was 47.00, compared to the Opus 3 complete slider kit...around 130.00

hope this might help someone else.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm

hand solo wrote: the MG-1 kit was 47.00, compared to the Opus 3 complete slider kit...around 130.00
Isn't the MG-1 kit rather 100.00 (plus shipping) when bought from TT ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

hand solo

Post by hand solo » Wed May 16, 2012 3:56 pm

i think the 100.00 kit includes the slider tops, knobs, and 2 way switches. i bought a 10.00 membership
that allows you to break down some of the parts, and was able to order just sliders.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Ah well, that's good to know ! Thanks for the info.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed May 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Does anybody have a repair manual (with descriptions instead of NLA part #'s) or a reference that details size in mm and values for the sliders? I have to think that these parts are generally available from Mouser or Digikey (in the states, anyway) rather than dealing with some outfit with a known bad reputation for what is likely a 2x markup?

If not, I'll volunteer to figure it out and post it once I tear mine down but I have to think this has been done before?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

hand solo

Post by hand solo » Wed May 16, 2012 8:29 pm

yeah, i addressed this earlier in the post and have scoured the net generally, Digikey and Mouser specifically with no luck. you'd think
there would be another outlet. haven't found it yet.

hand solo

Post by hand solo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:14 am

i had originally contacted Syntaur.com about some of these parts but they had none. looks like they are stocking some of the sliders, switches, and knobs now.

it's still cheaper to buy the kit from Technology Transplant.