Any Minimoog owners that also really like the Little Phatty?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
panorama1003

Any Minimoog owners that also really like the Little Phatty?

Post by panorama1003 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Was just curious if there are any Minimoog owners that also really like the Little Phatty?

I love my Little Phatty and tweaking it. I like to take a preset then strip it down by turning down the res, opening up the filter then eliminating each parameter that brought it to that preset sound and seeing/hearing where it all came from. Listening, I think the Little Phatty's really do sound like Moog. But playing and appreciating my Little Phatty I just started wondering, after a few different versions now of the Little Phatty (Tribute, Stage I, Stage II, CV), are there Minimoog users that also like/love the Little Phatty or do all Minimoog users prefer the Minimoog overall always?

Last edited by panorama1003 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

EricK

Re: Any Minimoog owners that also really like the Little Pha

Post by EricK » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Someone's trying to stir up some nastyness here.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Geddy Lee of Rush used to play a Minimoog back in the late seventies and early eighties, and he does use a Little Phatty these days. Jordan Rudess, who owns and plays modular analog synths, also plays the Little Phatty.

But of course, both these guys are sponsored by Moog, so they might be a little biased.

I own a Minimoog, but sadly no Little Phatty . If Moog Music would give me one, I'd sure play with it too ! :wink:

Now, all that being said, if your real intention was to create a Little Phatty VS Minimoog thread, let me tell you that it has probably been done many times. As well as the Voyager VS Minimoog.

And they are all winners. Each has its own advantages, be it sonically or otherwise.

So no, I don't see why one couldn't have a Minimoog AND a Little Phatty and enjoy them both ?

I have a Korg Mono/Poly and a Minimoog D (as well as other synths too), and they both sound different and each have their respective strong points. However I enjoy playing them both equally, since each one complement the other. There are sounds that the Korg can produce that the Mini can only dream of doing. The reverse is also true. I'm sure it's the same thing with a Little Phatty.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

panorama1003

Post by panorama1003 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:50 pm

EricK wrote:Someone's trying to stir up some nastyness here.
no nastyness intended so srry if I described anything wrong. but if you mean some good constructive and descriptive discussions going then sure.

@thealien666,

I wasn't trying to start a LP vs Minimoog post but I really liked your response/comment and good points! That is exactly the type of conversation I was trying to make.
Last edited by panorama1003 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 pm

I have a Voyager, a Mono/Poly & now a Minitaur and they are all wonderful in their own right for what they do. I would love to have a little/slim phatty too, but my budget & wife's tolerance can only be stretched so far! These threads remind me of the which camera equipment? threads in other forums I visit. It's not about the equipment, it's about what you can do with it, (taking into account each 'tool' has it's own unique attributes) - each individual has their own subjective preferences and tatses thankfully, which makes the world a much more interesting place!
If you were to push me for my Desert Island Synth however, it would have to be the Voyager (and given that I have never tried a Model D or any number of other wonderful synths out there, this is as said previously, based on my own limited experiences and personal tastes)
:D
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

museslave

Post by museslave » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:59 pm

You were trying to start a conversation where everyone says "everything is equally good for everyone, no one should ever like, be inspired by, or favor one thing over another, and everything is equally valid?"
Uhh... well, yes. So much for discourse, relative merits, comparison, objective measurement, subjective measurement, and everything else.

All threads closed forever. Everything is equally awesome! YAYYYYYYYY
Thank God that Mini prices can come down now that we know that everything is equal.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

panorama1003

Post by panorama1003 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:02 pm

@museslave,

man, what a bummer you are. why don't you save your sarcasm.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Okay Marc (aka museslave) . You want honesty ? I'll give you honesty. You will never, never in your life catch me playing, never mind owning, a DX7. :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Sarcasm aside for a minute.

I did play a Little Phatty in a local music store with headphones for about 20 minutes. There was a Voyager sitting next to it, that I did also try for about the same length of time.
And that was before I got my Minimoog D.

Frankly, I wasn't too impressed with the LP. It didn't sound bad, but was a little bit lack luster. But that wasn't a fair comparison. There's a reason why the Voyager costs 3 times as much as a LP, ya know ? It's not only because of the wood casing and abundance of knobs on it.

But for what it is, and in this price range, the LP isn't a bad deal either.

To make the inevitable car reference: it's like comparing a Smart to a Mercedes SLS. They're both cars, and they both will move you from one place to the other. But one will certainly make the journey more enjoyable than the other. That's not to say that it wouldn't be fun to drive a Smart too!
So you could say that buying a Little Phatty is a Smart choice... (cheap pun intended) :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Love my LPTE, Model D, Voyager(SE) and Minitaur. Each has it's own use and sound. Each can have many of the qualities of the other and then it's own. There will be times when I’ll just play the Voyager(s) and LP and the D is not even turned on. There are also times when all are fired up and I’ll use the D for effects or a lead and use the Voyager for bass or other times the D for bass and the others for leads. Then there are times the other synths are used for leads or bass. All depends on what I want to do, They all are tools.
I've created patches on the LP that I think hold their own very well, no complaints about it's sound at all. It comes down to what works best for you for the performance you are doing. All of them are tools.

Many diss the DX7, that's fine that is their opinion, but I still use the DX7 I purchased in 1986. Sure it has the 80's DX E. Piano, but that works for some things. Supper Bass did get old but it was a nice sound for that style. Beyond that there are a lot of good complex sounds you can get out of it, if you stick the factory sounds maybe not so much. From early 86 to late 87 all I had was the DX. I spent time programming many sound, both digital in nature and analog. I was going through some of those early recordings a few months ago and though "wow cool analog bass sound, nice and punchy, realized it was the DX :).

panorama1003

Post by panorama1003 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:59 am

@artpunk, thanks for the comment.

@thealien666, thanks for your comment!

@brian g, thanks for your comment! perfect input and very constructive! exactly the type of input I was hoping to see.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 am

I know I'm a little late chiming in here, but I own a Phatty and a Voyager, and I'd have to agree with everyone who says they offer different aspects of sound creation. It's definitely worth having both to me.

I had my SP over a year before I got my Voyager, and after 2 months glued to the beast I went back to the Phatty and found that it still tickled my innards just fine :D

Since I have the Slim, I tend to use it for sequencing and arpeggios, plus I use a Doepfer R2M ribbon controller for pitch slides and such. But the Voyager is all soloing and effects for now (haven't incorporated it into my midi chain yet, still holding out for a CV sequencer :wink: ).

And yes, I'm still planning on getting a model D in the near future, and yes it will go right alongside my Phatty and Voyager (and hopefully Taurus), and if no one decides to make a decent analog poly synth in the next 5 years, I might begin building a Phatty chain. :D

muksys

Post by muksys » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Every synth ever made has something to offer. It's who is playing it and what they are able to coax out of it that matters. Lest not forget:ingenuity

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Is that a Casio SK5? That was my first ever keyboard. I sampled many bodily functions with that device.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

muksys

Post by muksys » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:47 pm

EricK wrote:Is that a Casio SK5? That was my first ever keyboard. I sampled many bodily functions with that device.
It's an SK-1. A lot like an SK-5 but with more fun stuff. It has a "synthesizer" preset that, when set just right, it sound pretty awesome (and the filter mod that allows higher frequencies to pass through has been added)! Woops, NERD OUT!

Plus, it was use a lot during our Halo2 parties. We would get together, drink lots of beer and be complete asses online. I would use the SK-1 to record peoples ridiculous (and racist/homophobic) comments and play them back ala Stevie Wonder.