Old School Accessory port - MIDI?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
nightfur

Old School Accessory port - MIDI?

Post by nightfur » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Would anyone like to see a midi box available for the accessory port on the Old School? Do any tech-gurus know if this would even be possible? I read somewhere on the forum that the OS has some sort of computer control for the keys.

diddi_jo

Re: Old School Accessory port - MIDI?

Post by diddi_jo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 pm

That USB to CV box does the trick quite well. I'm still very curious about how the keyboard works. I suspect that it's computer controlled, and I certainly don't mind. But if it is, then it means that there is a something-to-CV/gate converter built-in. Would be almost silly to skip MIDI in that case...
Voyager OS, Prophet 08, Rhodes MkI 73, NordLead2 and more...

nightfur

Post by nightfur » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Are you referring to the Moog MP201 box? I didn't think that did CV-MIDI, but only MIDI-CV. I'm wondering if Moog can release a CV-MIDI box that would utilize the accessory port.

diddi_jo

Post by diddi_jo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:06 am

Hi,
I'm using a Kenton USB to MIDI device which works well and adds a sync-able LFO to the sum. I can't really see any need for a special Moog MIDI thing to hook up via accessory port.
On the other hand, if the OS's keyboard is a digital device to begin with, then the synth must have a MIDI to CV converter (or something similar) built-in. In this situation it should be almost a formality to put a couple of DIN sockets on the back and label them MIDI in & out...
Mind you I don't really know how the keyboard is connected to the synth.
Best regards,
Sid

nightfur

Post by nightfur » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:29 am

I've read about people having trouble with the OS tracking to Kenton midi-cv devices. Do you feel there is any truth to this? Seems like a more affordable option to the moog mp201.

diddi_jo

Post by diddi_jo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:30 pm

i had to initially trim the cv out of the kenton, and adjust the gate voltage. its been a solid setup since.

nightfur

Post by nightfur » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Did that require you to send your OS back to Moog for a mod? Or send your Kenton device back?

thank you

diddi_jo

Post by diddi_jo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 pm

no need to send anything. its just a setting on the kenton which it will remember the next time you flick it on.

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:40 am

diddi_jo wrote:no need to send anything. its just a setting on the kenton which it will remember the next time you flick it on.
which kenton midi to cv device would you suggest? there are two... I have an old school as well and am running logic 9 studio
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

diddi_jo

Post by diddi_jo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:33 pm

It depends on your needs. I bought a Kenton USB Solo which only acts as a USB to CV. This means that you need a computer and some application to run the show. The other Kenton converter has a MIDI input so that you can play your Moog directly from another master keyboard etc.

The USB Solo works fine for me. The user interface is slightly cryptic at first, but it seems a simple and inexpensive design. The built-in LFO is great, and you can assign your pitch and filter CV's to MOD wheel, pitch-bend, velocity etc. which frees up the Voyagers MOD busses for other duties. You then get auxilary gates that can be used to trigger the Voyagers internal LFO.

Regards,
Sid

nightfur

Post by nightfur » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:36 pm

What about using the Doepfer CV-Midi box to use the OS as a controller for another synth? Would the OS be able to control polyphonic notes from an external synth in this case?

diddi_jo

Post by diddi_jo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

nightfur wrote:What about using the Doepfer CV-Midi box to use the OS as a controller for another synth? Would the OS be able to control polyphonic notes from an external synth in this case?
I don't know the Doepfer box, but a control voltage is essentially monophonic. I.e. you would need a cv/gate pair for every voice you want to control.