New Videocamera, New Sequence

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

New Videocamera, New Sequence

Post by EricK » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFcZlqA3 ... e=youtu.be
Just another test....this time theres synth, I promise.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Re: New Videocamera, New Sequence

Post by thealien666 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm really sorry but, I simply can't stand to listen to the same 8 notes of a sequencer for more than 1 minute... No matter how much the speed, or the sound changes with added effects.

It simply drives me C-R-A-Z-Y ! and just make me want to throw my headphones out the window !!! :x

It has the same effect on me as someone ringing the doorbell over, and over, and over....

Maybe I'm in need of some psychological help ? :mrgreen:

Also, how is your audio connected ? Are you taking the sound from a mixer to the camera, or to the computer ? I suspect that the sound is only on the left channel because of mono jacks being inserted into stereo plugs, maybe ?

Sorry for loosing it at the beginning of my post. It's just me.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Yeah youve been giving me a lot of that lately. lol!

I know what im going to to when I visit your house, Im a natural born button pusher.

Eric

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Don't mind me Erik. I'm just being an assh*le. I'm sorry. :oops:

I think I'll go lie down now... It's been a stressful day for me. Next time, I'll behave I promise.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Nah ur fine man.

The thing about sequencers is that they are great....when you have a boatload of modules to work with. This is something im in the process of trying to remedy. Sequencing today I realized how badly I need my Taurus so I can use it and lead with the voyager. Im in the process of getting my studio consolidated also.

I'm going to go back in there in a minute and see if I can really do something worth posting.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Looks okay. Audio is just a tad hot, not yet distorted but getting close. What camera and how are you feeding the audio in ? What is the audio input connection ? If it is a mini there is a trs to two mono female mini's that works very well. Do you have manual level control ? If so, like when recording to any digital device try and keep the peeks around -4. If it is auto level only, back off on the signal you're feeding it.

Sequencers are fun but the same notes over and over can get a bit too much… sometimes :)
enjoy

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:06 pm

EricK, no matter what, your videos will ALWAYS sound better than mine. Take some solace in that, at least. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Do you ever run the Q119 in random mode? (then there is no repetive sequence)
Why is there nothing going from the Voyager to the 351?
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:01 am

MUST HAVE THAT CAMERA! :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Yep, not a single stereo cable. Believe it or not, I've never had the need for one. Obviously I need a couple of them.

Audio is going in directly to the camera in this one.

The thing is, there are so many different ways to screw up the volume. Theres the original signal volume, the gain, the channel volume, the master volume, the USB volume, the input gain in logic and the master volume in logic (in other projects), not to mention the drive and out knobs in the foogers.

I can see where limiters and compressors would come in handy.

The camera is a Canon HF R21, and as of yet, I don't know if it will give you levels on the mic input. It does also have a headphone out but heres an additional factor....my headphones are being repaired. I could get a much better grasp on the mix when I don't have to rely on outboard PC speakers from the headphone out of the mixer.

Excuses excuses lol.

So until I get my headphones back, I will have to multiply the audio into logic and use the camera's microphone, then go in imovie and turn down the footage volume and use the hi-fi audio track from logic.

I see now why in professional movie productions, they separate the video from the audio. Having commercial equipment means different A/D conversion rates, which was one of the problems in my previous videos.

I never really thought to use random mode on the q119, I figured I have many S&H sources, but I guess being able to program that makes it where it is not quite as random. Good suggestion, Thanks.

The bottom line is that I need more sequencers and modules. Oh, and I need more money. If anyone wants to help out with that, send a pm lol.

Eric

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:37 pm

You got enough gear, you just need to get creative with the patches. I remember when I first got the moog drum, I couldn't get a decent percussion sound that wasn't just repetitive crap. But I experimented with the cp-251, scaling, and delay until I got a great sound. It can be daunting sometimes, I get in ruts where I can't come up with anything good, and think all I need is more gear, but everything gets old after a while. Just find the inspiration somewhere.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm

I've already moved on. That video was just a test, in fact, I probably shouldn't have even uploaded it and posted it here.
I did this at like 230 am this morning.

Launch Preparation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSqGpSZi7Gk

Are you trying to talk me out of getting more modules? lol how dare you.

Actually what I need are more patchcords also.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:11 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:You got enough gear, you just need to get creative with the patches.
EricK wrote:Actually what I need are more patchcords also.
I agree with both statements and more patchcords can help.

Also, don't think of CV, audio and gates as separate entities.
They're all voltages and lines shouldn't always be drawn between them.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:39 pm

If the audio going to your monitors is disortion free the only level you need to worrry ab yout is what is feeding the Canon. Should be mic level. the Canaon you have I think run it in "Simple" mode a mode that allows more fexibility, In this mode if it like mine if you press function a menu on the lower right should show a list of options. One is audio and within that option you can have auto gain or manual adjustment.

You may want to invest in a direct box or two and you can never have too many patch cords and or adapters :).

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:18 pm

You all have definately given me some things to think about.
I haven't been able to turn on my sequencer in a year....I finally got them reunited again.

I also got the stereo problem taken care of.