Off topic.. Microphones and electronics?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Rabalder

Off topic.. Microphones and electronics?

Post by Rabalder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:27 am

Im not sure where or who to ask about this stuff.. :? I have a feeling there are some people here with the knowledge..

To make a long story short.. Im thinking about getting the Shure 577B for live use. (Screaming and singing.)
It is originally made for voice communications, but for several reasons I would like to use a mic like this.
I send my vocals through a slim phatty and 3 moogerfoogers, so distortion is a good thing. But not too much..

My problem is the fact that I have no idea how it would handle loud singing/screaming.
It doesnt come with a jack plug or anything, just wires..
Could I just connect a normal xlr-plug and plug it into my interface??

If anyone has any pointers, Id appreciate it.

Specs:
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/tech_pu ... 77b_ug.pdf

unfiltered37

Re: Off topic.. Microphones and electronics?

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:46 am

Why use a communications mic? Looks just like a regular dynamic mic like a sm57 or 58. Either of those would be your best bet for a mic in that range.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks.
This may sound a little strange, but I need the mic to be in a constant muted state with the abillity to momentarily un-mute it with same hand as I hold the mic while singing.

All my limbs are very preoccupied in the midst of performing.

Not sure if I have any other alternatives without using a pedal or "button" for the un-muting part.

If its partially in the same area as the sm57/58 I'd be more than happy..

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 am

Off-off-topic... sorry.

An alternative could be a vintage harmonica microphone: they do saturate, they don't need any preamp. However they don't have any mute switch AFAIK.

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:43 am

how's about an SM58S. It has a switch. No argument that the broadcast mic looks cooler, but, it doesn't look like it would mount to a stand easily.

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 am

That mic you are looking at seems like an ok choice. It is low impedance so it can plug into a standard mic input, and can be wired normally shorted (muted) like you need. There are also tons of harmonica mics with volume controls on them. There are even XLR cables with switches on them. Seems there are a ton of options.
-e

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Microphones of this nature are designed to pick up your speaking voice while blocking out noise. I'm not exactly sure whether or not this would be a great vocal mic, especially if you are going to be screaming into it. Generally, proper operating procedure is to not scream into the mic. :D Radios often have a mic gain control to enhance sensitivity.

These types of microphones sometimes require power that is usually provided by the radio and use multi-pinned connectors which perform functions like powering and enabling buttons on the mic to scan and other things. With this in mind, I'm not sure how easy it would be to wire for general audio equipment use, but I'm sure it could be done. I am aware that people sometimes use regular audio mics and wire them to be used with radios. Communications microphones generally operate with a lesser frequency response but offer superb quality for radio communications needs....not exactly ideal for vocal performances.

One thing that you can consider is buying a regular vocal mic, and wiring a push-to-talk footswitch to it.
You might be able to find said footswitches on:
universal-radio.com
hamradio.com
mfjenterprises.com

Heil also makes great radio mics, with push-to-talk functions.

Most CB radio mics can also be wired to support user built echo circuits. About every trucker from here to Alaska is unintelligible with these circuits activated. Some mics have this already built in. Cobra has a line like these often times featuring redneck iconography.

Also, consider that the PTT buttons are often sensitive, and pushing them hard or releasing them hard will generate clicks and wear out fast. Not something that you want to consider in the heat of a passionate and dramatic vocal performance. No vigorous thumb wrestling moves on the hammer there.

Hope this helps a little. My knowledge of the nuances of mobile mics is limited.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:16 am

Thank you all for your input. Appreciate it:)