Is the Taurus III for me? (Newbie questions inside)

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Ivan_R

Is the Taurus III for me? (Newbie questions inside)

Post by Ivan_R » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Hello, folks - first post here.

I just came across a Taurus III for a very good price. I have always needed some pedal like this; I usually play in trios, and my bands do not have keyboards. I need something to play synthesizer/piano/organ notes in pieces like the Beatles' "Here comes the sun", Cream's "Deserted cities of the heart" and the like. An added bonus would be to have percussion (claps, cowbell) that could be played with my feet.

I know the Taurus doesn't have a library of organ/piano/percussion sounds. I would, therefore, need an external midi source.

My questions are:

a) How easy it is to control external midi sources through the Taurus? Keep in mind that I play bass, and therefore do not have my hands free to change midi configurations mid-songs.

b) Can new sounds be "uploaded" to the Taurus permanently, like its firmware updates?

c) Would I be better off with a Pk-5 or some other similar device? I mean: I love all things Taurus (grew up listening to Yes, Police and Rush), but It has more stuff than what I need (the loops, arpeggiators etc), and it might be an overkill.

Thanks,

Ivan.

Voltor07

Re: Is the Taurus III for me? (Newbie questions inside)

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm confused by your question "Can new sounds be uploaded permanently like a firmware update" The Taurus is 100% analog. The sounds coming from it are not samples, they are programmed from the Envelopes, filter, and oscillators. The Taurus CAN be programmed to do organ sounds. Percussion, not so much due to the nature of the envelopes. You say the Taurus has too many features, but from your post I'm thinking it doesn't have enough. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:21 pm

a) Very easy. You can program Taurus III to send Program Change and also to trigger notes and there are various levels of step (touch) sensitivity.

b) There are 52 presets, the first four of which are sort of the standard lot. So you can program sounds and store them into those slots and alternatively, keep a library of hundreds on your computer and just load up the ones you are interested in having 'with' you prior to a gig. I doubt you will need more than about a dozen or so for a few sets of music across a few hours.

c) If you already have a synth module that you like, or are satisfied with either a software based synth, or a sample library, the PK-5 might be a better choice; You can get a set of roland PK5a pedals for about $500 bucks these days and it's ALOT more portable. Roland just released the PK-9 which is bigger than the single octave that either the PK5 or Taurus III has but it's big money (about $1600, which I'm guessing is what you will pay for a set of T3's used).

One of the issues with the T3s (and I own a set and do not envision selling them ever) is that they are very heavy and bulky and you'll pay another $400 on a decent roadcase for them.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:16 am

It's hard to justify a Taurus III in light of the Minitaur. And there are very cheap foot controllers to be had also. You can save yourself hundreds in the process.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 pm

EricK wrote:It's hard to justify a Taurus III in light of the Minitaur. And there are very cheap foot controllers to be had also. You can save yourself hundreds in the process.
The only advantage to a T3 over an MT is the T3 has a better LFO (tri,square, ramp & saw waveforms). But the MT has full ADSR EG's and Square Waves at both OSC's. What I'd like to see is a Moogerfooger LFO/ARP module with a bunch of waveforms for the LFO and to be MIDI Syncable. That would be suhweet! Of course, someone could just get a eurorack case and some modules to at least get a better LFO.

Also, I am not sure if this is the case, but doesn't the T3 have a wider octave range? The MT can only go to C4.

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:02 pm

muksys wrote: What I'd like to see is a Moogerfooger LFO/ARP module with a bunch of waveforms for the LFO and to be MIDI Syncable. That would be suhweet!
Mp-201?
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:09 pm

jeepo wrote: Mp-201?
Yeah, it's a bummer they discontinued it. They are going for $850 now on evilBay. No way I'm throwing down that kinda change for a couple extra LFO waveforms. That would be ideal though, I forgot about that pedal.

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:47 pm

muksys wrote:
jeepo wrote: Mp-201?
Yeah, it's a bummer they discontinued it. They are going for $850 now on evilBay. No way I'm throwing down that kinda change for a couple extra LFO waveforms. That would be ideal though, I forgot about that pedal.
I was really disapointed when I found out it was discontinued too. The mp-201 was next on my moog list until I saw how much they were selling for. Now instead of a midi to cv fooger synth a minitaur is on the way. As for lfo's with multiple waveforms and syncability, it is possible to feed an mf-107 a negative cv to get it into the lfo range. Also while in the lfo range it can be synced using a click track or another lfo at the audio input. Here is some noise domenstrating the mf-107 as an lfo and sync with another lfo. http://soundcloud.com/questionmark_and_ ... n-lfo-test
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:10 pm

jeepo wrote:As for lfo's with multiple waveforms and syncability, it is possible to feed an mf-107 a negative cv to get it into the lfo range. Also while in the lfo range it can be synced using a click track or another lfo at the audio input.
Yeah, I like this idea! I've had my eye on the 107 to get a 3rd VCO for my LP. Think this just made it to the top of my "getting next" list. Thanks!

Ivan_R

Post by Ivan_R » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Regarding octaves: how high can the Taurus go? Is the Taurus octave-limited even when working as a foot controller for a midi unit?

francesco

Post by francesco » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 am

EricK wrote:It's hard to justify a Taurus III in light of the Minitaur. And there are very cheap foot controllers to be had also. You can save yourself hundreds in the process.
If you can afford it, go with the T3!
Some advantages of the T3 (if your are into the sound of the Taurus):
1. Presets - you will have no presets on the Minitaur without the editor running
2. Playing live (as a bass player), my cheap (light weight) foot controller was always sliding away from me. Very anoying.
3. Much more control with your feets: e. g. decay switch, latch control, arpeggiator, volume, filter cut off
4. Very solid construction of the Taurus 3.
5. And of course: Great look of the T3
https://www.youtube.com/user/66superfly Please visit, there is always some Moog in it!

Ivan_R

Post by Ivan_R » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:55 pm

Does anybody knows if I am limited in terms of octaves when controlling sounds from a midi source? I mean: can I play higher-pitched strings, for instance, with the Taurus III?

Thanks.

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 am

Well the incoming MIDI range is C0-C4, not sure about the outgoing, I'll need to check the manual. But in any case it doesn't really matter as you could just pitch the strings up and octave on the receiving device.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

francesco

Post by francesco » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 am

Ivan_R wrote:Does anybody knows if I am limited in terms of octaves when controlling sounds from a midi source? I mean: can I play higher-pitched strings, for instance, with the Taurus III?
The already released V1.2(beta) of the Taurus III firmware has MIDI transpose feature.

Topic:
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=12572
https://www.youtube.com/user/66superfly Please visit, there is always some Moog in it!