Minitaur blew fuse Urei 813 Monitor bug3

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
David Bulog

Minitaur blew fuse Urei 813 Monitor bug3

Post by David Bulog » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:55 am

bug 3
http://mixonline.com/TECnology-Hall-of- ... rs-090106/

Blew the fuse on the right hand 813 monitor while playing with the EG amount knob
I have a low serial #141
Maybe a circuit mod is needed for next batch to tame the Minituar down a bit!!
I also have a Voyager Performer and have never blown a fuse with that.

I started to worry how they could reduce the size of the components on the Minitaur and not compromise on the sound but not so based on this result

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2012/03/ ... ar-review/
I am told by those who know, that because internally the control voltage is Hz/V. To add more octaves would have required significantly more power and required an internal PSU, making the whole thing bigger and therefore impacting on the cost.

Amos

Re: Minitaur blew fuse Urei 813 Monitor bug3

Post by Amos » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 am

those are awesome monitors but they don't have a ton of headroom... your best bet might just be a limiter in your system when running loud, dynamic synths. :) Raw, unprocessed analog synths are one of the more challenging signals to push straight to a speaker.

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:19 pm

I love those moments when I think that I've destroyed my speakers with too much raw synthesizer just to realize that the sound just sounded like the speakers were blown.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

MC

Post by MC » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:38 pm

I have a limiter inline with my monitors - blew one too many speakers!!!
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:32 pm

That's not a bug, it's a feature!

:lol:
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:36 am

well lucky they have a fuse --similar to a bulb
I think its a bug because the Voyager never blew a fuse and I use it often, they need to limit the low end just a little so its safe to use
I would hate to run it through a decent PA unless are some kid into techno or dub step :) that gets off on bass potentually damaging your ears and the structure of a building!

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 am

David Bulog wrote:well lucky they have a fuse --similar to a bulb
I think its a bug because the Voyager never blew a fuse and I use it often, they need to limit the low end just a little so its safe to use
I would hate to run it through a decent PA unless are some kid into techno or dub step :) that gets off on bass potentually damaging your ears and the structure of a building!
Who doesn't get off on bass damaging the structure of building?
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:35 am

David Bulog wrote: I think its a bug because the Voyager never blew a fuse and I use it often, they need to limit the low end just a little so its safe to use
Um... no, that's up to the end user. If they start adding limiters to the circuit design that would be a bad design decision. As c7sus stated, it's not a bug, it's a feature - it's supposed to be a bass synth after all.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:39 pm

David Bulog wrote: I think its a bug because the Voyager never blew a fuse and I use it often, they need to limit the low end just a little so its safe to use
Let me get this straight, because I think I'm missing something here...you bought a BASS synth from Moog, who builds the best of the best, and now you're saying it works TOO well, and has design flaws because you didn't use a limiter on your speakers, and it can damage buildings and ears? Umm, maybe you should take it back and get a Minibrute instead, because, as has been stated, those are features. I built my own custom bass driver for my keyboard amp SPECIFICALLY for my Taurus. Why? Because one doesn't buy a bass synth if they don't want bass. Of COURSE the Voyager won't cause damage to your speakers. Neither will the Little Phatty. The Minitaur/Taurus 3 are based on the design of the original Taurus I pedals, meaning they have a more powerful filter than anything in the Moog line (past or present), as well as oscillators specifically designed for bass. I am utterly confurglegated by your statements. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Many Taurus/Minitaur users make the mistake of using inadequate monitors/speakers - you can't blame that on the instrument!!!

I have a hall-quality PA system in my basement that is capable of generating 5.0 on the Ritcher scale. I have *TWO* 1x18 EV subs PER SIDE. This is where Taurus bass is FELT baby (and the next county too)!

I used to have ONE 1x18 per side, but blew them TWICE - 1st time was when I played the "2001" theme too loud (with sub-killing organ subsonics), 2nd was testing an electronic drum kit with triplets on the toms (sniff sniff what is burning?). A limiter cured the blowouts but the bass was on the light end. Installing a 2nd sub per side gave me what I wanted without speakers going POOF.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:19 am

Have you ever heard of a lawsuit ?
Well one kids going to blow a eardrum using the Minituar
and I can see Moog having to recall the product
Its too powerful for the price range and I think it will do damage in the wrong hands
My two cents
David

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 am

http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:33 pm

David Bulog wrote:Have you ever heard of a lawsuit ?
Its too powerful for the price range and I think it will do damage in the wrong hands
My two cents
David
Wrong. It was created out of the demand for the Taurus pedals in a smaller package. If your system can't handle the bass, buy a better system, or add a limiter. If YOU can't handle the bass, GTFO. Taurus is the most powerful bass synth available. That is no secret. Anyone looking at the Minitaur can see that it has a very similar, almost identical, sound engine. And most "kids" won't spend $600 on something that only does bass.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:15 pm

David Bulog wrote:Have you ever heard of a lawsuit ?
My two cents
David
Under that logic, auto companies would be liable for accidents in the field. Legal precedent has already established DECADES AGO that manufacturers are not liable for damages caused by misuse at the discretion of the consumer.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:03 am

David Bulog wrote: Its too powerful for the price range and I think it will do damage in the wrong hands
Nah, it's OK. The headphone output is less hot than the Little Phatty headphone output, I don't think anyone will do physical harm to themselves.

As for damage caused by amplifying the main output... the thing does come with a warning... take heed! :)