Dropped and stuck notes even with new firmware

Everything Phatty.
Jonathan G

Re: Dropped and stuck notes even with new firmware

Post by Jonathan G » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:50 pm

To add my two cents, I recently purchased a pair of Slim Phattys, and had the stuck note problem when using my Yamaha Motif 7 as a controller. However, when I switched over to a Roland A-37, the problem seems to have disappeared.

hackbar

Post by hackbar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:17 pm

I've been able to reproduce the problem I'm seeing, and it's not just the Slim Phatty that has trouble. It also causes my Korg Triton & Korg SP250 to behave the same. I don't have another non-Korg set up to test on.

I put it at http://hackbar.net/stuck.mid. I had to hack the recorder and player I was using to send & receive Active Sense, so you might not be able to load it. If it doesn't work for you, make sure your program is sending Active Sense message. I can post you my source changes, but they're for some Linux programs. When playing this file on a synth that supports Active Sense (the Phatty does not), the stuck note won't be very dramatic. It'll stop 300ms after the file is done.

The file is 3 events:
Note on
Active Sensing
Note off

This causes the note to get stuck. The problem seems to be the Note off message occurs at a time delta of 0. Changing that to 1 fixes the problem. I'm not sure if that's a legal time delta, but it seems like it should be. It does break my other keyboards too though, so I guess it's illegal.

vertibration

Post by vertibration » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 am

Ableton is still giving me stuck notes even after the usb update. Will there be a fix?

Jonathan G

Post by Jonathan G » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:34 pm

I wonder if the problem lies within the "ENTER=PLAY NOTE, NOTE xx Momntary" section. I noticed that pressing ENTER in this section causes a note to drone, then terminates after playing a note on the keyboard.

ClintAu

Post by ClintAu » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:38 pm

I can't seem to update my SP with this USB firmware fix. After I select the number for my Slim Phatty in firmware installer app, nothing much happens. Sometimes I the SP's LEDs will change, sometimes the whole SP will freeze up, but no firmware update.

Are there any further troubleshooting steps for installing the update? System utilities reports version 3.1 653/30. I've tried rebooting my machine, and I can send sysex to other hardware just fine. I'm doing the update via USB.

I'm constantly battling this stuck note problem when sequencing the SP from an Octatrack, so I'm keen to get this resolved.
Moogerfoogers, Minitaur, Win10. Previously: Slim Phatty, Voyager

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Not that it is the same, but I have not experienced any stuck notes sequencing my stage 1 from a MachineDrum. Just info for comparison.
The MD does sometimes send extra midi data (not notes) it was not programmed to send though.

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 pm

Any plans to release the Mac version any time soon?
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

cookiemonsta

Post by cookiemonsta » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Frequently encounter stuck or hung notes with the Octatrack sequencing the Little Phatty. Have spent hours messing with MIDI settings on both to no avail. No other gear I have has this same problem.
Little Phatty has the most recent firmware.

vertibration

Post by vertibration » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:21 am

Amos,

Is there a new SLim Phatty update on the way to fix how it works with Ableton?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:31 am

cookiemonsta wrote:Frequently encounter stuck or hung notes with the Octatrack sequencing the Little Phatty. Have spent hours messing with MIDI settings on both to no avail. No other gear I have has this same problem.
Little Phatty has the most recent firmware.
Does this occur only when sending midi clock or regardless if the octatrack is set to transmit clock or not?

If the LP is receiving midi clock is it set to echo the clock at it's midi out?