Just bought a MiniMoog Model D 1977

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
TheZombieHolocaust

Re: Just bought a MiniMoog Model D 1977

Post by TheZombieHolocaust » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:51 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:
TheZombieHolocaust wrote: it's making me think about selling my Andromeda which is kind of shocking to me

anybody recommend some toys for this synth

I want to get a strig plug a pedal?
CP-251 is a must. The MP-201 is the best expression pedal I have ever used. I rarely use it for anything else, which is kinda a waste but still well worth it for filter sweeps. I have an old moog foot pedal if you want to buy it, paid about $100 for it. Not very much range, but its cool to have with a model D. I would take a good wah pedal in trade. Another must for me is a space echo, but I have been considering getting rid of it, since I have been using my 1/4" mix deck for delays (best delay, analog or digital ever made). Sell the andromeda and get a Massive Passive tube EQ (sold my voyager for it), it makes the model D (and everything else) sound the same, but just soooo much better. I know its not likely you'll get one, but I have to recommend it, it's no joke. It's up there with the model D on my list of invaluable gear.
good call on the CP-251 I was thinking of getting that for my A6 and mess around with it even before buying this - what does the foot pedal control on the mini? I'm trying to read up on strig etc and it's kind of greek to me

well i have to make some decisions now , I'm pretty sure I'm done buying synths (lol) and now i need to upgrade my signal chain before getting more optional gear - I'm thinking a rosetta 800 and focal twins with a coleman controller. Im thinking of selling the A6 for that stuff or maybe I should at least keep the A6 until I can hear it thru a proper sound system.

I do want an old Roland Space Echo or maybe an Eventide H3000 for these synths now

yea i should try to demo a massive passive I've heard they are good , i don't know if i would sell an instrument for one tho

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:58 pm

Do you think if they just called it the Moog Voyager without the "mini" there wouldn't be so many pointless comparisons? I admit, I have done it plenty of times, but just because the comparison is always out there. The truth is that they are completely different animals altogether made in two eras of technology and comparisons are just not valid. But I do agree I don't think Dr. Moog failed in any way with the voyager.

As far as the MP, yeah, it's not technically an instrument, but it is a very important musical tool. if you're a multi-instrumentalist like myself that does serious mixing, a good stereo EQ is everything. I have learned quite a bit about how to carve out a place for each instrument in a mix, knowing where each instrument lies in the frequency spectrum and how to eq in between notes to get the clearest, creamiest, beefiest sound possible, all just from using the MP. I treat every track like most treat a lead vocal in the mix. Something like a synth is actually quite difficult to eq, because of it's large range and moving harmonics, so I don't eq too much unless it's a static patch. But the bass sounds (both with the model D and my hofner bass) I get with the MP are unbelievable.
Last edited by unfiltered37 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheZombieHolocaust

Post by TheZombieHolocaust » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:My OptoKey just sends and receives the 44 notes of the keyboard itself.
It doesn't receive or transmit any modulation or pitchbend, unfortunately.
However it does replace the entire contact board in a Mini and has very fast response.
This is good because when one removes their original contact board, they're also removing some spring tension from the keys.
The keyboard then becomes much easier to play fast.

As for checking out a Mini, I'd suggest a few tests:

1. Place the pitch wheel in the center and perfectly tune one VCO against the A-440 signal.
Then move the wheel some and place it again in the center.
If the Mini is no longer exactly in tune with the A-440, the pot may be bad.

2. Hold a high note on the keyboard, then play notes below it.
This can help indicate if the key contacts are dirty. (dirty contacts will "glitch")

3. Tune all three VCOs to the same pitch, then change the octave selectors one by one.
If they do not perfectly land on octave intervals, the instrument may need calibration.
If your Mini was an early unit, it could also be that it lacked a later update known as a buffer board.
But Zombie's Mini appears to be a more recent model which came with a buffer board already installed.

4. Check all switches for glitching or noise.
The switches most common to have problems are the two orange switches on the left and the noise's pink/white switch.
The A-440 and main output switch can also make noise when switching, but usually it's normal.

5. It's normal for the overload lamp to flash when the instrument is turned on, but it should not stay on.

6. Verify all pots for any noise when turning.

7. Check all keys for physical noise (clacking when pressed or quickly released.)

There are more tests one could perform, but this can give a rough idea what condition a Mini is in.
This particular Mini appears to be a later model and this is a good thing in regards to wear.

Fwiw, this below is a sheet I've used to evaluate Minis that arrive here for service.
It's not terribly gorgeous, but just helps document problems.

thanks I'm going to go thru that list everything seems AOK so far i.e. knobs aren't noisy the overload lamp doesn't stay on etc

im kind of amazed at the physical condition of the synth - if it helps it's serial number 9014 - from 1977 so far as dating the synth

TheZombieHolocaust

Post by TheZombieHolocaust » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:03 pm

filtered wrote:[oh cmon- can we please refrain from making Voyager owners feel they're not quite up to par on every single freaking mini post? did the author discuss Voyagers? and saying poor ol Bob Moog "tried his best" is a bit patronizing don't you think? no biggie, and I respect your opinion, I just had to speak up... and of course, you're a mini owner and I'm a Voyager owner, so we'll always have that need to justify- but I would never flaunt my Osc sync on a mini post...
ermmm now that I own a mini and am 'in the club' so to speak i'd prefer to lord it up over the Moog commoners....I have a mini and I want my grey poupon! :mrgreen:

but seriously I tried the Voyager out and liked it a lot but the Mini has a whole other level of mojo to my ears

I came sooooo close to buying a classic TVS off of ebay instead of this Mini - I'm so glad I got this instead now

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:14 pm

TheZombieHolocaust wrote:
filtered wrote:[oh cmon- can we please refrain from making Voyager owners feel they're not quite up to par on every single freaking mini post? did the author discuss Voyagers? and saying poor ol Bob Moog "tried his best" is a bit patronizing don't you think? no biggie, and I respect your opinion, I just had to speak up... and of course, you're a mini owner and I'm a Voyager owner, so we'll always have that need to justify- but I would never flaunt my Osc sync on a mini post...
ermmm now that I own a mini and am 'in the club' so to speak i'd prefer to lord it up over the Moog commoners....I have a mini and I want my grey poupon! :mrgreen:

but seriously I tried the Voyager out and liked it a lot but the Mini has a whole other level of mojo to my ears

I came sooooo close to buying a classic TVS off of ebay instead of this Mini - I'm so glad I got this instead now

Well if there's one synth that I would place up there with the model D, it's the SEM and especially the 2 voice, so I wouldn't be too glad, but glad nonetheless. Though there's no pitch wheel, which is almost a dealbreaker.

TheZombieHolocaust

Post by TheZombieHolocaust » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:
TheZombieHolocaust wrote:

Well if there's one synth that I would place up there with the model D, it's the SEM and especially the 2 voice, so I wouldn't be too glad, but glad nonetheless.
yea I agree about the classic SEM/TVS/FVS - the unison on the FVS is MONSTROUS

i paid 100 less for this mini than the end price on the ebay auction for the TVS (with sequencer) which is strange coincidence .....also Tom O is re-releasing the TVS within a couple months and a new SOFV by end of year so ill try them out in person and try to decide new versus old and that will probably round out my synth collection

then again I've never heard bass like Moog ever so it's really reducing my gear lust

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Yeah those new SEMs sound very good. But using just one sawtooth oscillator for bass on the mini is pure funk. Add a clav on the top end and you have maybe the nastyest funk sounds ever.

BTW I hope he releases the blackface version of the 2 voice.

TheZombieHolocaust

Post by TheZombieHolocaust » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:04 pm

hey guys anyone hear anything not working or sounding funny? this is a dry recording of my mini into logic with no effects - just a limiter on the master channel

http://soundcloud.com/the-zombie-holoca ... l-moog-dry

and here's a quick surf theme again totally without effects except a limiter

http://soundcloud.com/the-zombie-holoca ... surf-theme

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:26 pm

thealien666 wrote:It's rather limited in complexity, and even though Bob Moog tried his best to match the Minimoog D Sound when he was designing the Voyager, over 10 years ago already :shock: , and wanted to add all the missing modulation possibilities to it, the sound is just not the same.
Bob didn't "try his best to match" the Minimoog (yes, that's right...I didn't include "Model D." I still don't understand why people insist on using a prototype distinction on a synth that there is simply only one type of), he very successfully implemented what was the successor to the Minimoog. The confusion largely occurs because of "Minimoog" being in the name of the device... but "Minimoog" wasn't originally in the name of the device, it was simply a good marketing move to include "Minimoog" in the name. The Voyager isn't "a modern Minimoog." It's all of the things Bob wanted to see a new generation of analog monosynth do. I'm not a frequent Voyager user, and I prefer the Minimoog's sound and functionality, but the last thing in the world the Voyager is is a "failed reproduction of a Minimoog." It's an incredibly powerful and well-designed musical instrument that does precisely what Bob intended.

Yes, the Minimoog is "limited." When compared to a Moog modular. Otherwise... what the heck are you talking about? Compared to what? The Voyager? A synth that came decades later with a variety of technological developments and several decades of user input? I very rarely hear people using even 50% of what the Minimoog is capable of. It is a powerful synthesizer with an accessible and straightforward interface.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Wilby

Post by Wilby » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Looks like a nice board, I find it fun to keep a guitar tuner handy makes it fast to make triads.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:02 pm

Extract from this very site about the Voyager project:
http://moogmusic.com/legacy/bob-moog-timeline

<<I could foresee a Minimoog reissue. I can see a Minimoog that does everything the old one does plus a few things that we wish we had done back then. We’re not planning it, but on the other hand, it’s entirely possible.” “The Next 20 Years,” Sept. ’95>>

Another extract from a Keyboard Magazine article:
http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/The- ... yages/2293

<<In 2000, Bob Moog announced that he would make a new Minimoog. In 2002, he reclaimed the trademark not only for Moog Music, but for “Minimoog.” With a new team in place, the father of the modern synth chose to tackle the unthinkable: Make a successor to the best-known synth of all time that would not only replicate, but best the original.>>

There was another interview I had read, or watched, a while back where he essentially said: <<Keeping that original Minimoog sound was my number one priority when I was designing the Voyager.>>
I have yet to find that interview again, but I'll be sure to post a link to it here when I do!

I'm not saying, and never said, that Bob failed with the Voyager. The fact is, he did not. He produced a modern mono synth with the same Minimoog "D"NA, but with slight variations in sound and much more modulation possibilities. In fact, it is his lifetime crowning achievement and his most sophisticated design. Both the Mini D and the Voyager are fantastic analog mono synths, period. But I prefer the Model D.
It's purely a matter of personal taste, and in no way should that cast any shadow over the Voyager, which I also had, and enjoyed to some extent, at one point.

Al.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:26 pm

thealien666,

Respectfully:

If it had been Bob's intent to duplicate the original Mini's sound, it would have been something well within his ability. The Voyager sounds the way it does because that's what he wanted. The things that some of us adore about the Minimoog are things that he did not like about the Minimoog. For example, most of us hardcore fanatics embrace the pre-oscillator-upgrade sound. Bob thought that those of us who did were idiots. The oscillator upgrade was an improvement in his mind. Likewise, so were the choices he made with the Voyager. It was not a duplication, it was an improvement. And I promise you that the source of my statements about this are not second-hand.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:27 pm

The model D (the distinction from a voyager is why I call it that) is not limited. It is simple. If simplicity elevates, as Bob Moog said, then the model D is a rocket ship. SImplicity in design allows for more of the human aspect of music, and that is what makes it so special, that and the glorious sounds that come out of it. The model D, like most musical instruments is only limited by the imagination of the musician. I think one of the reasons it has such a distinctive sound compared to other synths is that is is almost always played manually, and you can hear that.

The voyager has only been around 10 years, but who knows maybe it will become a classic instrument held in the same regard. So many bands are using it its bound to be. If anything the model D was a failure in design (overdriving the filter, distortion, low quality mixer/ext input, noise). But the failures in design are what made it so special.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:44 pm

museslave wrote:... For example, most of us hardcore fanatics embrace the pre-oscillator-upgrade sound. Bob thought that those of us who did were idiots. The oscillator upgrade was an improvement in his mind.
Yes, Marc. I remember laughing out loud when I heard him say those exact same words, in some interview ! And I agreed with him.
But if the Voyager came out exactly as he wanted it to be, that's also fine by me. I just prefer the Model D over it. So I guess I'm somewhat of an idiot too, in some respect. :D But a lucky owner of a Model D idiot... :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:53 pm

thealien666 wrote:But a lucky owner of a Model D idiot... :lol: