Bring back the Moog Modular

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Re: Bring back the Moog Modular

Post by EricK » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 pm

I can understand someone like myself who can't solder buying a simple module like that out of necessity, but not you.

More homebrew stuff seems fitting on your intended system. :wink:

It is your baby, however.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey, Why don't you scan your module chart so we can take a look at it? I barely saw it on your video.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Roger's mults look a lot nicer than mine would. A homebrew cabinet is one thing, but a mult with staggered, uneven spacing between jacks is just unacceptable, and that's all I'd be able to do. It's not like I have a CNC machine or a drill press. I built my cabinet with a hacksaw, Dremmel tool, and 3/8" power drill. I used a hammer, and screwdrivers. Modules are best left to the pros, or people with a larger tool collection than me. :wink:

The module chart is merely a reference. If you really want to see it, I'll upload it later either tonight or sometime this week.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:15 am

I'm looking at the module chart, as I brought it to work with me, and I have decided on a new module chart. It will be as follows.

*Ahem*.Top cabinet: Q141/Q106/Q112/Q141/Q106/Q112/Q141/Q106/Q112/MultiModule
Bottom cabinet:Q104/Q105/Q109/Q109/Q108/MMF/Q107/Q124/Q113/Q125/Q147/Q171/Q172/Q110

MMF=MiniMoog Filter

Basically, it's two modulars in a single 32 space cabinet. :wink:

Edited for placement changes, and replacement of Q111 with Q125.
Last edited by Voltor07 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:53 am

Voltor07 wrote:I'm looking at the module chart, as I brought it to work with me, and I have decided on a new module chart. It will be as follows.

*Ahem*.Top cabinet: Q141/Q106/Q112/Q141/Q106/Q112/Q141/Q106/Q112/MultiModule
Bottom cabinet:Q104/Q105/Q109/Q109/Q107/MMF/Q108/Q113/Q124/Q111/Q147/Q171/Q172/Q110

MMF=MiniMoog Filter

Basically, it's two modulars in a single 32 space cabinet. :wink:
Interesting choises and configuration. So you decided against the acrylic for the multi-module? Nontheless, it has that "Doc Brown" sort of feel to it with the labeling (Marty's stereo......hey thats what you can call it lol).

Sounds like you are doing what I started to...wanting to cram it full of great modules but forgetting the power interface panels (have to put that damn switch in the back I guess).

I plan on getting several dotcom modules, several Moon modules and perhaps a few of the STG soundlabs modules, a grove audio module or two.

I'll have 66 spaces available....Ive projected well over 5K already and still only have about 49 virtual spaces filled. Many future paychecks already spoken for.

I'll try to get as much of it built before we get to working on building a son (or daughter lol).

E

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:33 am

EricK wrote: Interesting choises and configuration. So you decided against the acrylic for the multi-module?
As a cost saving measure, yes I did. An acrylic panel, pre-etched, was going to cost a couple hundred.
EricK wrote:Sounds like you are doing what I started to...wanting to cram it full of great modules but forgetting the power interface panels (have to put that damn switch in the back I guess).
I have the Q137 in back already. And yes, it's in the back. I'm buying one expensive module per pay period as I can afford it, ie oscs and the quantizer and quantizer aid. The cheaper modules I'm buying two or three at a time. I did buy the Q137 and Q110 together, so I have the noise taken care of. :wink:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:15 pm

EricK wrote:I can understand someone like myself who can't solder buying a simple module like that out of necessity, but not you.

More homebrew stuff seems fitting on your intended system. :wink:

It is your baby, however.

On second thought, I just got an idea for mults with jacks alligned in the shape of a lightning bolt. :idea:

With an acrylic backlit panel! :idea: Since it's just a mult, no vectors are needed for jack/knob placement, and this one company http://www.pro-modular.com/ can get me one with a steampunk design for $20! :mrgreen:

Goom

Post by Goom » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Getting back to the original subject in this thread - something to consider is that there are probably a fair number of Moog modular owners that would love to add new modules to their system. I'm sure there are systems that are missing a few modules, and probably many modular owners with only a few Moog modules that would like to expand their selection. Then, there are the owner's of modern modulars that would love to have the "real deal".

A potential bump in the road would be power and signal level implementation. Should new Moog modules conform to the newer modular standards (+/-15V power with +/-5V signal levels), or would it be best to adhere to the vintage specification, to make it easier to interface with vintage Moog systems? The types of connectors is an issue as well. I don't think any of the new companies are using the edge cards for connecting the modules.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:30 am

Goom wrote:Getting back to the original subject in this thread - something to consider is that there are probably a fair number of Moog modular owners that would love to add new modules to their system. I'm sure there are systems that are missing a few modules, and probably many modular owners with only a few Moog modules that would like to expand their selection. Then, there are the owner's of modern modulars that would love to have the "real deal".

A potential bump in the road would be power and signal level implementation. Should new Moog modules conform to the newer modular standards (+/-15V power with +/-5V signal levels), or would it be best to adhere to the vintage specification, to make it easier to interface with vintage Moog systems? The types of connectors is an issue as well. I don't think any of the new companies are using the edge cards for connecting the modules.
The compatibility is a huge issue. The old Moog modulars ran on +/- 12V. Also, they had edge connectors. The main thing is: how many Moog modulars are left? Can't be that many. I think that Moog, IMHO, would be better off making modules for the newer systems, in terms of sales volume.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:51 am

Voltor07 wrote:The compatibility is a huge issue. The old Moog modulars ran on +/- 12V. Also, they had edge connectors. The main thing is: how many Moog modulars are left? Can't be that many. I think that Moog, IMHO, would be better off making modules for the newer systems, in terms of sales volume.
Moog could make their module work on +/- 12 volts dc, for retro compatibility, and add switchable 7812 and 7912 voltage regulators onboard for when installing them in modern systems that supply +/- 15 volts dc.

They could also design the boards so that they could still plug in old Moog system sockets, while providing connectors for modern ones, too.

They could do all that if they wanted to... But obviously they don't want to.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:54 am

thealien666 wrote:
Moog could make their module work on +/- 12 volts dc, for retro compatibility, and add switchable 7812 and 7912 voltage regulators onboard for when installing them in modern systems that supply +/- 15 volts dc.

They could also design the boards so that they could still plug in old Moog system sockets, while providing connectors for modern ones, too.

They could do all that if they wanted to... But obviously they don't want to.
True, on all accounts. It is sad story. :(

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:04 am

If they simply convert our Foogers over, that would be enough for me to be happy. I think that they could fit them on a double width panel if they mounted the PCB's perpendicular to the panel....it just might be the deepest modules on the market.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm happy just putting the Foogers on top of my modular. Turning them into modules would leave a lot of modules missing in a complete Moog modular, if those were the only modules Moog made. And can you imagine the Cluster Flux as a module? Nightmarish. :shock:

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Too many wall warts.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:25 pm

I just bought a 2-space blank and a 4-space blank with grand plans to mount my Ring Mod, Freqbox, and a Diamond ML2 Analog Delay. Should be (will be) interesting.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!