Whilst on presets - what's your favourite, out of the box?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Omaroo

Whilst on presets - what's your favourite, out of the box?

Post by Omaroo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:38 am

I, like most here I guess, choose a preset merely as a starting point for most of my favourite sounds. The power in twiddling knobs is infectious and rewarding. Even so, I've come across many presets out of the eight hundred and whatever that blow me away - especially when further filtered via my Eventide effects pedals. What're a couple of your favourite presets as they are out of the box?

Mine so far: B88 - "Owwww Bass" - I keep going back to it time and again, and C48 - "wooOOOOooow"
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

Spitfire

Re: Whilst on presets - what's your favourite, out of the bo

Post by Spitfire » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:46 pm

The preset titled something like "panning pad" in bank A, I believe, is awesome.

The Minimoog Voyager Lunar Impact is, in my opinion, the synth with the best presets (and man, I have owned and sold about a dozen Waldorfs, Access, Rolands, and Nords - even a Hartmann Neuron I truly miss - over the last decade). I usually do not use presets, but with the Voyager, I really like them. It's tough overwriting some of them, actually. :mrgreen: As of now, my preferred axes are my Minimoog Voyager Lunar Impact, Moog / Oberheim custom, Nord Lead 3 (for extended polyphony, FM, and a few other nice sounds through its various filters), and my Yamaha Tenori-On for more experimental stuff. A few softsynths (Omnisphere, Stylus, EastWest Symphonic Orchestra and Choruses, ReFX QuadraSID, NI Battery, and Synthogy Ivory) round out the sonic offerings.

I too use an Eventide Space after the Voyager. How are you liking that sound? Personally, I wouldn't use anything else for reverb on a Moog... or any of my other synths. If you listen to my track "A New Life Begins," http://soundcloud.com/cam-suarez-bitar/ ... ife-begins you'll hear the melody played by my Voyager through a preset I created with the "Shimmer" algorithm and the bass played by my Moog/Oberheim custom, which goes through a "DualVerb" preset I drew up. :mrgreen:

Which of the Factors do you like best? I was going to buy a Time Factor the other day, but passed on it as the Space already adds lots of ambience to a sound. The Mod Factor doesn't really interest me, but this is primarily due to ignorance as I have never heard a Moog through a Mod Factor.
Minimoog Model D / Moog Little Phatty TE / DSI Prophet 08 / Elektron Digitone / Elektron Octatrack Mkii / Clavia Nord Wave / Nord Drum II / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Roland TR-707 / Roland TB-03 / Korg MS-20 / Access Virus TI 2 Polar / Roland SH-101 /:mrgreen:

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Before I sold my voyager, I had the editor, went through hundreds of presets. By far my favorite was "Odds". Would have kept it just for that patch, but got a good version (maybe better) on the model D.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Just curious, unfiltered37, it's been quite a while since I had my EB, is it a bass patch or a lead patch (or maybe some weird tone)? And how did getting the same type sound on your Minimoog D improve it somewhat, and was it hard to do ?
Since I've sold my Voyager in order to later get my hands on a Model D, I'm always surprised at how I don't really miss all the modulation possibilities of my Voyager. I always have other synths that can do all those crazy modulation things.

But I keep returning to the Model D when I want very good, usable, musical synth sounds.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Omaroo

Post by Omaroo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Nice track Cam. I'll have to dedicate some time to listen to your others. I think we're probably on the same page as far as what we want to produce. :)

I love all four Eventide pedals. Space is probably the one I use most, because it has an ethereal mood enhancer built in that nothing else I've heard can produce. It's beautiful, on everything I throw it at including the gee tar. I think that while some processes are similar and overlap to a degree between all four, like some form of delay or reverb, they are utterly different from each other once you start to explore their individual specialties. A TimeFactor is the best delay I've ever come across. I've compared it next to an MF-104 and came out of the store with the Eventide. The digital loop is far cleaner than the Fooger's, and although the analogue delay has a certain ambience and noise to it that is utterly appealing in its own right (not to mention CV control) I just thought that the TimeFactor was soooooooooooo more versatile. It's incredible how complex a set of interference patterns you can get going on the TF. The ModFactor, I initially dismissed too. It was my last purchase, if only to round out the set. Big mistake. Wow. The depth of control it gives is unbelievable. PitchFactor - the same. Its HarPeggiator, Synthonizer and Octaver (along with all the other effects) are special. Link all four of them and you have a completely unlimited line of possibilities. It's staggering what a few random presets turn out with all four doing their thing on the way through.

You might also like to try Sonic Charge's "SynPlant" if you haven't already. It's a beautifully organic soft synth that takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've wrapped your head around the interface it's a very good product.
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 pm

"Odds" is good for bass and melody. Pretty simple, low-mid res, long attack and decay on both env. Second osc tuned whole step down, but octave up at 8', both sawtooth I think. Very jazzy sound.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks! I will try it...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Omaroo,

Thanks for the kind words regarding my track, "A New Life Begins." Where could we hear some of your tunes? :mrgreen:

As for the Factors, I hear you... the Space is truly amazing. After reading your post, though, I believe I will give the Time Factor another chance someday. There's a local music shop I like to frequent, so perhaps another demo is in order soon.
Minimoog Model D / Moog Little Phatty TE / DSI Prophet 08 / Elektron Digitone / Elektron Octatrack Mkii / Clavia Nord Wave / Nord Drum II / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Roland TR-707 / Roland TB-03 / Korg MS-20 / Access Virus TI 2 Polar / Roland SH-101 /:mrgreen:

vasago

Post by vasago » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Bernie's #1 woman..... ran through the mf102 and also having the LFO out of the mf102 going into the Volume Input on the vx352. I also enjoy the LFO out from the mf103 going into the Filter Input on the vx352.

Dont tell anyone that I actually like a preset though O_o

As for the factors, I didnt dig the Modfactor. I just think it does too many things in an OK fashion, where some of my other effects units do an awesome job at the on ething they do. The TimeFactor is awesome, but doesnt sound as good as the mf104, which is why I have both. One for is power, the other for aesthetics. The space is retard good, nuff said. I havent got a PitchFactor yet, but hoping to sell my mod factor to fund that.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

Omaroo

Post by Omaroo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Spitfire wrote:Omaroo,

Thanks for the kind words regarding my track, "A New Life Begins." Where could we hear some of your tunes? :mrgreen:
Well, I don't play much and record less... "music", anyway. I'm in advertising, and I use my setup to create short sound bites for sale to commercial advertising clients. I used to play piano as a kid, up to 14 years old (I'm 49 now), and even played in several eisteddfods when going to school. I gave up in favour of girls and haven't touched a keyboard until a couple of years ago when synthetic sound took my interest again. I'm kind of hoping to get back into playing it to create music one day, rather than producing decent-sounding elevator background noise. :lol: I'm probably going to go down the full-on sequencing path and try to emulate Klaus Shulze and his Berlin electronica sound. Call me "experimental".

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 am

Interesting.

Recently, I watched a video on the history of Kraftwerk and learned a lot about Klaus Schulze, Can, Brian Eno, and Cluster (to name a few). The next track I write will also be in the Klaus Schulze style, but I am considering another track with vocals now that I have mastered Melodyne and can sing perfectly in key whenever necessary. In my latest track where I sing (titled "Standard and Poor"), I didn't use Melodyne and it seems that the times my voice's tuning drifted like an old and beat analog synth, my voice didn't sound extremely bad for the track itself. Now, it's time to sound a bit more polished. :mrgreen:

If you get around to putting up your work - be it for commercials, ambience, or tracks you have produced simply for the "art" of it - post some links sometime.

Man, living "down under" must have afforded you the chance to see bands like INXS live. I would have liked to see them live in their prime and back when they were first playing pubs.

Omaroo

Post by Omaroo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 am

Spitfire wrote: Man, living "down under" must have afforded you the chance to see bands like INXS live. I would have liked to see them live in their prime and back when they were first playing pubs.
INXS played at our high school - North Sydney Boys High, in my last year in 1980. They were only a couple of years old and we thought they were called "Inks". LOL

I grew up in Sydney and Melbourne pubs with all the great bands of the late 70's and 80's.... INXS, AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, Kids in the Kitchen, Lime Spiders, The Divinyls, Machinations, Flowers (IceHouse), Mental as Anything, Midnight Oil, Misex, Mondo Rock, Models, Noiseworks, Pseudo Echo, The Radiators, Sunnyboys and plenty more. It was a GREAT scene. :D

n2design

Post by n2design » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 pm

mannnnn, I just got the eventide space, and boy does that make a difference.

I have a bunch of nice vst reverbs, but something about putting this after the moog, so sik!