2 x Moog MF-103s in Stereo --good idea?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
David Bulog

2 x Moog MF-103s in Stereo --good idea?

Post by David Bulog » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:33 pm

I really wanted a Roland PH-930 Stereo Analog Phaser but used prices are $2000 plus if you can find one
Maybe two MF-103s would be a good workaround if the two can be synced for a true stereo -phase locked signal in and out
The audio quality is good enough I feel to run an entire stereo sub mix through the pair --The Roland was the only high end StereoAnalog Phaser built that is amazing for this sort of thing!!
Anyone using a pair of these ? if so how do you sync the two

thanks in advance
David

Voltor07

Re: 2 x Moog MF-103s in Stereo --good idea?

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:01 pm

David Bulog wrote:Anyone using a pair of these ? if so how do you sync the two

thanks in advance
David
I don't own two, but they aren't easy to sync. You would have to tweak the knobs, and even if you get all the knobs to show the same values, they STILL won't be exactly the same, so you have to adjust each knob until you get identical sounds. The end result, after all that work, is well worth the effort, though. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:20 pm

I only have one as well, but couldn't you take the various outs (rate, sweep, & amount) from one and use them to control the other one? Not sure if they would then be completely in sync, but it would still be more in sync than by trying to set the controls the same.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Great idea, hieronymous. That probably would work. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:17 pm

I am trying to understand that post... now, sorry for stating the obvious, but the MF-103 has two outputs for stereo effects using the LFO. You can also feed the LFO out to sweep in for more effect. In fact, I have not used the MF-103 much other than stereo to my mixer.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Portamental wrote:I am trying to understand that post... now, sorry for stating the obvious, but the MF-103 has two outputs for stereo effects using the LFO. You can also feed the LFO out to sweep in for more effect. In fact, I have not used the MF-103 much other than stereo to my mixer.
Ah, but there is no stereo IN! Therein lies the answer to your confurglegation. :)

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:40 pm

I have two of the 103 phase shifters.
They sound great in stereo.
I do it all the time.
You can use a CP-251 multi to send the same waveform to different places.
It is a great sounding pedal.
When I use it in stereo, I go stereo in with both pedals and then all four outputs to my mixing board.
This gives me a super stereo Moog sound.
It is fun and educational.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 pm

If you're talking audio signal you could also just use a splitter cable to run them into both phasers. Costs ya $5 tops :) Could even use an A/B pedal that has one chain w/o either phaser and one that routes to the stereo phaser chain.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 am

Wait a second people - the OP has a stereo signal, and wants 2 MF-103 phasers in sync.

I think my idea - using the rate, sweep & amount from one to control the other - should work, but is it really that simple? I'm concerned that the sweep might start at a different place in the slave unit, so they wouldn't be exactly the same.

I do like analoghaze's idea of running in stereo and then using all four outputs! :idea:

77jordan

Post by 77jordan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:16 am

Get the rack Moog Phaser off ebay!