Is Minitaur playable as a stand-alone unit without keyboard?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
panorama1003

Is Minitaur playable as a stand-alone unit without keyboard?

Post by panorama1003 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:12 pm

I posted a pretty similar topic in the Taurus sub forum but I notice there is more going on here in the General sub forum than there is on the Taurus sub forum.

I own a Tom Oberheim SEM Patch Panel and you are able to play it just by turning it on, switching on the oscillators and tweaking parameters and it makes some absolutely beautiful and amazing sounds.

I really like using desktop modules as stand-alone units. For example Dave Smith desktop modules are playable without using an external midi keyboard/controller and I believe if I'm not mistaken even the Slim Phatty is useable in this approach, too.

I was assuming that the Minitaur was going to be a similar concept.

But will the MInitaur only be playable connected to and using a midi keyboard/controller?

Thanks.

Voltor07

Re: Is Minitaur playable as a stand-alone unit without keybo

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:22 pm

For sure you can play it with other gear that sends MIDI, like drum machines or other types of gear like that. You can also use it with 1V/oct gear via gate and pitch inputs. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

xombiexplox

Post by xombiexplox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:24 pm

panorama1003 wrote:...For example Dave Smith desktop modules are playable without using an external midi keyboard/controller and I believe if I'm not mistaken even the Slim Phatty is useable in this approach, too...
IT IS?!?! Can someone tell me how to do this? That would be STELLAR
:3
GEAR: Slingshot, yo-yo, baseball cap, heaphones, gummi wormz

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:29 pm

The SP can also be controlled with drum machines, sequencers, and 1V/oct gear that is attenuated down to .97v. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

muksys

Post by muksys » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:36 pm

xombiexplox wrote:
panorama1003 wrote:...For example Dave Smith desktop modules are playable without using an external midi keyboard/controller and I believe if I'm not mistaken even the Slim Phatty is useable in this approach, too...

DSI Product line: Yes. Moog Product line: No.

One of the big differences between Moog and DSI is DSI offer 4 16-step sequencers built into them. So, they can be played without any other form of control, be it hardware or software. The SP & MT both require either hardware (MIDI Keyboard or CV) or software to be played. Neither units have built in sequencers. The SP does have an ARP as well as an "audition" mode, but it would be difficult to compose a song using this method. The only way to get an MT to be a true stand-alone (without modification) is to insert a dummy jack into the CV GATE to open the Oscillators. Pitch can then be adjusted at the Fine Tune & OSC 2 freq.

Hope this helps clear up your questions.

panorama1003

Post by panorama1003 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Voltor07 wrote:For sure you can play it with other gear that sends MIDI, like drum machines or other types of gear like that. You can also use it with 1V/oct gear via gate and pitch inputs. :)
actually, what I was asking is if it can be played by itself. Can you turn the Minitaur on and will it "drone" on its own? Like I said before, the way the Tom Oberheim SEM module is playable on its own.

That is all I'm asking.
xombiexplox wrote:
I'm not sure but take a look at this video, its seems like he's using the SP on its own in the beginning. Simply turned on as a stand-alone module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z0FQ9HmPKI

I own a Little Phatty Stage II CV, so I'm not exactly sure how a SP entirely works.

panorama1003

Post by panorama1003 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:45 pm

muksys wrote:
xombiexplox wrote:

DSI Product line: Yes. Moog Product line: No.

One of the big differences between Moog and DSI is DSI offer 4 16-step sequencers built into them. So, they can be played without any other form of control, be it hardware or software. The SP & MT both require either hardware (MIDI Keyboard or CV) or software to be played. Neither units have built in sequencers. The SP does have an ARP as well as an "audition" mode, but it would be difficult to compose a song using this method. The only way to get an MT to be a true stand-alone (without modification) is to insert a dummy jack into the CV GATE to open the Oscillators. Pitch can then be adjusted at the Fine Tune & OSC 2 freq.

Hope this helps clear up your questions.
That makes some sense to me now. Thanks so much. Yes you definitely did help in explaining and helping me understand the details and differences. Thanks again.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:58 pm

xombiexplox wrote:
Menu dive your way into the arpeggiator. :)

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:59 pm

panorama1003 wrote: I'm not sure but take a look at this video, its seems like he's using the SP on its own in the beginning. Simply turned on as a stand-alone module.
In this video, the guy is hammering the oscillators foot settings, and the octaves button, which is the synthesizer equivalent of hammering a screw into a wood board. The screw was not designed to be used this way, but of you hit it hard enough with a hammer, it will go in.

I can see this guy call tech support call a month later complaining his SP is broken... what a piece of screw!!! :lol:

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Portamental wrote:
In this video, the guy is hammering the oscillators foot settings, and the octaves button, which is the synthesizer equivalent of hammering a screw into a wood board. The screw was not designed to be used this way, but of you hit it hard enough with a hammer, it will go in.

I can see this guy call tech support call a month later complaining his SP is broken... what a piece of screw!!! :lol:
I am not sure you can say Moog synths were not designed to be used in any way possible. I "play" the octave/footage switches on my model D, which is pretty ancient, and it is fine. So pressing buttons repeatedly on a slim phatty should be no problem. Although from my video game testing experience, I bet I could break the software pretty easily.

muksys

Post by muksys » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:14 pm

panorama1003 wrote: I'm not sure but take a look at this video, its seems like he's using the SP on its own in the beginning. Simply turned on as a stand-alone module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z0FQ9HmPKI

I own a Little Phatty Stage II CV, so I'm not exactly sure how a SP entirely works.
Probably hooked up to a "Mac" via usb and sending MIDI notes with "Live".

Oh, and I actually really liked how the octave foot buttons are so close together on an SP for that exact purpose. It's a bit of a bass guitar finger stretch to do the same on an LP.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 pm

unfiltered37 wrote: I am not sure you can say Moog synths were not designed to be used in any way possible
Same with cars.. or just about anything... I can put the pedal to the metal, and release the clutch, burn some rubber in a nice cloud of white smoke, do donuts. If I am a Nascar driver, I don't care that my tires last only 25 laps or my motor 2 races. I am not picking up the tab. But as a hard working laborer, I kind of get annoyed if my tires don't last the 50k miles they are rated for or if my clutch gives out all of a sudden. Still the choice is mine.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

How is pressing a button on a synth any different than pressing a key or a pad on a modern midi controller? Sure you shouldn't use sandpaper on it, but pressing buttons is not going to wear it down or break it easily, unless it's just crap. Those types of things are tested pretty well. When I worked for Activision, we continually button-mashed as part of our tests, and I don't remember once when a button failed due to hardware issues. This shouldn't be an issue. If it was, i think it would have been reported at least once.

But if you don't want to use a keyboard, or have discrete western pitches, the dark energy, SEM, or SP would be a better choice than the minitaur. But it might be cool with a CV theremin or my moog drum.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Buttons, switches and pots all have duty cycles. On a good year I buy my son at least two joysticks for his computer games. Anyway, i suggested it in the other thread, the wear-less solution for making random noises, that is also a lot of fun, is this :

I use it with a flashlight that has built-in sequencer-like patterns (8 in total) and that cost 1 buck at the dollar store. I should say "used it", in the beginning to explore CV's. Nowadays, I play music for the most part, with only an occasional wild ride. :D

BTW : drum pads on a midi controller are made for abuse. The SP's panel ? Less so I would think.

Augment

Post by Augment » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:12 pm

To answer the OP's question: Yes. Kind of.

While there isn't a dedicated button/switch on the Minitaur (or Little/Slim Phatty) to enable it to drone on by itself, you can plug a 'bare' cable into the Gate CV jack and it will produce sound continuously. You won't be able to change the fundamental pitch though; only OSC2's frequency, but you can make it drone on and play with the filter and LFO and stuff.

Since the Minitaur lacks Octave 'foot' settings (not to mention the Mod destinations) that the other Moogs have, its use as a drone machine would be pretty limited in my opinion.