Best MIDI Sequencer to use with Animoog?

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
2A Batterie

Best MIDI Sequencer to use with Animoog?

Post by 2A Batterie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:46 am

I've been digging around on the Internet for the past week or two, and can't find any definitive answers or reviews on this subject. While I wish I could sequence within Animoog, I am going to find/purchase a solution/app so that I can create and modify sequences on the fly for live performances. I've heard about Genome, MIDI Bridge, and Polystep Arp as solutions. Being that they are all $10-$15, I'd like to purchase only one. Any user experiences or or suggestions to share?

Omaroo

Re: Best MIDI Sequencer to use with Animoog?

Post by Omaroo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:57 am

I've tried pretty-well all of them, and certainly those you've mentioned. Although Genome is meant to be good, I quite frankly haven't the time to sit down and work it out. My favourite is Phaedra. I typically use it to sequence Animoog and get a recorded sample loop going. I then kill the sequence and change presets to accompany the loop in a different voice. Great fun :) Given that, my arpeggiator app on the iPad to control my Voyager and SP is StepPolyArp - and it's so good that I wish it was available on OSX as well.

Phaedra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNGPKnDGMc
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

machetemirage

Post by machetemirage » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:39 am

+1 for Phaedra.

You can use all four sequencers on animoog if you want, because it's polyphonic. In this track, I am using three. The fourth is going to NLog Synth Pro for the bass.

Animoog and Phaedra

Freeks

Post by Freeks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 pm

How to get Phaedra to work with Animoog?
I have tried many times to get them to work together but it never works. No matter what program i start first.

Any instructions?

muksys

Post by muksys » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:31 am

Freeks wrote:How to get Phaedra to work with Animoog?
I have tried many times to get them to work together but it never works. No matter what program i start first.

Any instructions?
I hadn't tried using Phaedra with Animoog before, but I thought I'd give it a go. Its real easy

1. Open Phaedra
2. Verify in the Sequencer Bus you want to use is set to MID Channel 1 and CC Dest to 1 by hitting the "select" button at the right of the Bus.
3. Open Animoog
4. Go to Setup and select Phaedra in the MIDI list. If it is not there, refresh
5. In Animoog, make sure Background Audio is on (green)
6. Go back to Phaedra and create a sequence then hit run

If still nothing, go to MIDI I/O in Phaedra and make sure either nothing is selected or SND CLK and/or MIDI Thru are selected. If EXT SYNC is selected, the sequencer will not run.

Personally, I like (and use) the StepPolyArp app. It can do polyphonic arps and sequences. Very nice with the Animoog.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:33 pm

The app called "littlemidi" was just updated to work with core midi.
It is free and fun.
Genome is also great.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Freeks

Post by Freeks » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:28 pm

muksys wrote:
Freeks wrote: I hadn't tried using Phaedra with Animoog before, but I thought I'd give it a go. Its real easy
Thanx!

I think my mistake was the BG audio button.

bob1

Post by bob1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Beatmaker 2 is the most complete Sequencer yet, got a sample engine and has a nice workflow for internal synths and external gear. Tried nearly every other so far from the beginning of midi implementation on IOS. For example found genome unbearable during Beta testing, still no count in or metronome for live playing and the list goes on an on. steppers like littlemidi and such are fun but not serious at all.

hello everyone btw :D

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!

I found Genome to be pretty easy to use, myself, but I haven't tried using it for serious live playing.
Will definitely check out Beatmaker2!

reidjazz

Post by reidjazz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:45 pm

StepPolyArt rocks...you can do some amazing things with that and Animoog!

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Beatmaker is good. I find the cc drawing comes out a little choppy sometimes. However you can polyphonic sequences and you can control the pitch wheel, mod wheel, and velocity modulation in Animoog from Beatmaker.

Genome seems alright. Smoother cc automation. polyphonic. It seems that Animoog reads the tempo coming out of Genome as twice as fast as what it is set for. You can control the same modulation sources as Beatmaker PLUS channel pressure.

I tried to set up Beatmaker to control channel pressure. In genome channel pressure is cc 258 or something. Beatmaker only goes to CC 127. what is up with that? Different MIDI code?
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:09 pm

channel pressure isn't really a "CC" - it's a different type of channel-mode MIDI message with a different status byte. Beatmaker might just not support it at the moment.

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:51 pm

interesting. Oh well being able to do velocity, mod wheel and pitch wheel from Beatmaker gives you plenty of modulation in Animoog...and then you can record the samples and play them back in Beatmaker for the win!

trupro

Post by trupro » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Wait a sec...Beatmaker2 can sequence external apps such as Animoog?

or you just mean its good to use as a controller for Animoog?

thanx

-S

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm

No I mean you can step sequence notes and draw in automated modulation for the mod wheel, pitch wheel and velocity and because animoog will play in the back ground you can have it just play along with whatever you program in to Beatmaker's internal sound sources.