CP-251 S&H to Oberheim SEM?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
tomoe97

CP-251 S&H to Oberheim SEM?

Post by tomoe97 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm having trouble getting the Sample & Hold signal from a CP-251 to modulate frequency on an Oberheim SEM Pro. The setup seems straightforward enough: CP-251 S&H Output 1 to Attenuator In and then Attenuator Out to SEM VCF ExtMod Patch In (with VCF Ext switched on and Modulation turned up). However, the SEM doesn't respond to the S&H signal. When I try a similar setup with my Voyager RME via VX-352 Filter In, it works like a charm. Is there something else I need to do in order to get this to work with the SEM?

cliffman

Re: CP-251 S&H to Oberheim SEM?

Post by cliffman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 pm

I know nothing about the SEM, but...
I'd suggest using the CP-251's Mixer instead of the Attenuator, tweak the Offset knob up/down and see if that helps.
I find when hooking together odd bits of gear that sometimes even when grounded properly the gates, etc.
don't seem to agree on things such as 0V, offsetting the CV up or down a touch fixes it.

My second tactic would be - use something internal on the SEM (LFO, OSC) into the CV in for the modulation, that should
prove your patch is sensible. Then try with the CP-251's LFO, then bring the S&H back.
But again, i've only touched a SEM once, these are just general hacking techniques.

tomoe97

Re: CP-251 S&H to Oberheim SEM?

Post by tomoe97 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks for the helpful tips! I was finally able to get the two to work together. CP-251's S&H signal modulating the filter frequency of the SEM sounds glorious!