Ring Mod as VCA?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
cliffman

Re: Ring Mod as VCA?

Post by cliffman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Vitja wrote:I think it is time for Moog Music to give us a decent VCA!

I used MF-102 for VCA, but that's not it. And why should I use my favorite MF for just VCA?
The only think that this thing can do really well in a VCA manner it is something I call it random texture VCA. I just run Some randomized S&H, to mixer which is there for offset and attenuator for S&H and run all that to carrier in, to get that NIN stile texture with guitar and EHX freeze. But that's all I have came across.

We need damn VCA for god sake!
One question from this - have you tried a MURF?

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:08 pm

cliffman wrote: One question from this - have you tried a MURF?
Using the MURF as a VCA is discussed in this thread:
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=15
But I couldn't get the feel of how effective that works from the replies and it all seems a bit bloody fiddly, further in that particular thread someone talks about using the Ringmod as VCA, which of course is what we have been discussing here.
I really think it is time for Moog to release a dedicated VCA fooger. That would be cool.

8)
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:19 pm

artpunk wrote:
cliffman wrote: One question from this - have you tried a MURF?
Using the MURF as a VCA is discussed in this thread:
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=15
But I couldn't get the feel of how effective that works from the replies and it all seems a bit bloody fiddly, further in that particular thread someone talks about using the Ringmod as VCA, which of course is what we have been discussing here.
I really think it is time for Moog to release a dedicated VCA fooger. That would be cool.

8)
I was thinking more using the MURF to get the ramdom S&H thing Vitja was talking about.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:00 am

cliffman wrote: I was thinking more using the MURF to get the ramdom S&H thing Vitja was talking about.
Ah, that's where quoting whole quotes can get confusing... Which is why I ususally edit quotes to focus on the portions I am trying to address, but I'm a pain like that :wink:
I thought we were talking about the Ringmod as VCA still... :)
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

shortsleeves

Post by shortsleeves » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:16 am

cliffman wrote:I am confused - I have an LP, not SP, and I am not in front of it, but if I were to attempt to use it as VCA, i would use Audio In, Audio out, and Gate In. (Of course, OSCs would have to be turned off somehow, etc)
I don't understand the need for CV out from a VCA.
1. I'm not sure one can use LP/SP's VCA for of external signals (and I've no way of checking, 'cause I've got neither :-)
2. Even if the above is possible, I guess we'd either lose the VCA for LP/SP generated sound, or it (the sound) would use the same VCA settings as the external sound.
3. Re: VCA out -> now you say it, I don't think VCA out is all that necessary, provided one could use the Audio IN/OUT.

Anyway, I'm seeking a VCA solution for the gear I already have, and there seems to be no way of achieving this. I won't be losing any sleep over this – I was just curious what others thought :-)

Cheers,
Lukasz
My SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/shortsleeves. Enjoy, and leave a comment!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Just a side note about the LP...Audio In only goes to the filter. That's it. There is no access to the oscs, VCA, or envelopes. It's just used to send external audio through the filter. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

shortsleeves

Post by shortsleeves » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Just a side note about the LP...Audio In only goes to the filter. That's it. There is no access to the oscs, VCA, or envelopes. It's just used to send external audio through the filter. :wink:
That's what I thought (though had no way of checking obviously). Thanks!

Cheers,
Lukasz
My SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/shortsleeves. Enjoy, and leave a comment!

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi Moog!
Today is my birthday!
So I wish that when this day comes next year, I want Moog VCA on my pedalboard! :D

Back to topic.

I tried Murf, and what I was talking about it has nothing to do with it and I already have what I want.
My interest is mostly on VCA that can process CV signals!
But as we know, MF-102 can't process CV signals.
I would like to see one or the other:
A moogerfooger stile VCA with Env. follower, Gate out, Trigger out and all this combined with ADSR and VCA. And MIDI!!!
Or CP stile with 2xVCA with DC/AC option, RM for CV, Mults, Another S&H, attenuator, gate/trigger delay or clock devision...

Actually I would be super happy If this to would be the next ones!

Than I would love to see HPF/BPF mooger :mrgreen:

You can get VCA,ADSR and Instrument interface from .com but then you need power, cabinet and that costs and it's not small.
And it's not moog!!! :?

So what is the magic about Moogers???

I was thinking allot about it. Well,It is something between effects and modular. And sometimes I use them just for tremolo, delay, env. filter and things like this. Other times I use it just like a modular guitar processing for experimental music.
And I like all this options to set them.... On the synth, on pedalboard, with Ableton, in studio for reamping, on samples and for sound generator.
Sometimes I would prefer CP stile boxes, but like that, they would be less universal.

When I calculate the measures, options, cost and sound, I always come to moog!

I'm sorry if this is going out of topic, but it is hard to stay in it. :wink:
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Just a side note about the LP...Audio In only goes to the filter. That's it. There is no access to the oscs, VCA, or envelopes. It's just used to send external audio through the filter. :wink:
I am pretty sure external audio goes through the filter and VCA both modulated by their envelopes. You just need to trigger the gate instead of leaving it open.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:13 pm

I'd love to get a Massager for VCA needs.

http://www.knasmusic.com/products/quadm ... ssager.php

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Sir Nose wrote:
I am pretty sure external audio goes through the filter and VCA both modulated by their envelopes. You just need to trigger the gate instead of leaving it open.
Right...but there's no way to access just the VCA by itself.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Sir Nose wrote:I'd love to get a Massager for VCA needs.

Pretty white knobs! :D

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:
Right...but there's no way to access just the VCA by itself.
Open the filter all the way up.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Well, yes, opening the filter all the way and turning of env modulation would work, I suppose. :)

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:I'd love to get a Massager for VCA needs.

Pretty white knobs! :D
Amen! The Knas stuff all looks crazy fun, in a 1950s Martian kinda way.
I have wonderful reverbs all over the place, but there is something really looney and attractive about the Moisturizer and
likewise the Massager - I'd want to have a white lab coat to wear.