Another II won't bite the dust

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Portamental

Another II won't bite the dust

Post by Portamental » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 pm

But it will shake walls.

It needed TLC. They all do after 30 years. It got plenty. And a good home. It got that too.

Fully refurbished (by KK), recapped, new sliders and buttons, new power supply, new springs in the pedalboard. The works.

It also has a nice little friend to play along with in sync, a Rogue. In this config, I can play different octaves and waveshapes. As singles, neither the Rogue or the Taurus II can do that.

Four raw vintage Moog oscillators, 18 notes pedalboard, on a 400 watts quadruple woofers system, in a small room. Ear plugs advised for those used to play their music on an i-Thingy.

I like to call the pair the Taurus IV. Pretty soon, we'll see how the Minitaur measures up. I guess I'll have to call the trio the Taurus VI :lol:

thealien666

Re: Another II won't bite the dust

Post by thealien666 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:36 pm

These two vintage pieces look almost brand new!

Pretty cool, Réal.

But I think that when you finally get your Minitaur, you'll probably hear why the Taurus II was never really a Taurus, but simply a Rogue with a footboard. Although it does sound pretty darn good. :wink:
I've played for many, many years on my trusty old MG-1 (The Rogue's better, but underrated, mislabeled brother. :roll: )

Al.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 pm

thealien666 wrote:These two vintage pieces look almost brand new!
Yep, thanks. I like my vintages to be tops. Costs a little more but it makes a lot of difference. I think you have seen my Liberation?

The Rogue was never my favorite, I always found it very odd, like they cut a lot of corners to bring the product to the market. But it is also very raw. The both of them played together brings up a lot of weight, and since both of them are top shape, tuning them together is not a big issue, actually not at all so far.

I am glad the Taurus IV plays with the feet, I got the hands pretty busy moving sliders on this first day. But it's only temporary. Once I get a few good sounding patches going, i'll play hands off. I always wanted a bass pedal to keep my feet busy while I play the guitar. I hope I get the hang of it in a short period... I may not have all that many years of adequate mobility left in me. 8)

filtered

Post by filtered » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 am

I loved my Rogue- it had a wonderful nastiness, and that auto trigger switch was great for mid-solo freak outs with s&h combined- I forgot you were the one with the minty Liberation- ack!!! nice 80s representation with the T2 as well! how about an Opus3 to round it out?

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 am

An Opus3 ? ... lemme see, you mean a cheesy polyphonic organ crossed with a Moog Oscillator with preset waveform for brass, and a string section with both high pass and low pass filter? Like this one?

Cheesy organ does sound pretty good going through Moog low pass filter, even with limited envelopes.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 am

filtered wrote:I loved my Rogue- it had a wonderful nastiness, and that auto trigger switch was great for mid-solo freak outs with s&h combined- I forgot you were the one with the minty Liberation- ack!!! nice 80s representation with the T2 as well! how about an Opus3 to round it out?
You just HAD to ask... :roll:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

filtered

Post by filtered » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 am

:lol: should've known better!
a bandmate from the 90s played an Opus- It didn't sound all that Moogy, but did a great job filling in spaces, if you know what I mean- and of course it looked good on stage! :wink:

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Nice looking Taurus II there! I like the idea of patching for a 4 oscillator Moog. Can get some interesting sounds that way. Never really understood why the T2 gets so little respect? It has plenty of bass and can make some great sounds. Plus in/out jacks for interfacing with any CV synthesizer including an external input to the filter. Really versatile for a pedal synthesizer, especially by placing the controls where you can easily reach them. I have both versions of the T2 with the standard and the controller only version. Usually patch the T2 controller into the Moog modular to get the ultimate Moog pedal bass. Great for transposing sequences on the fly too.
Portamental wrote:I like to call the pair the Taurus IV.
So what would you call a 4 oscillator Moog using the Prodigy? A Pierogi? :lol:
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 pm

filtered wrote:Opus- It didn't sound all that Moogy, but did a great job filling in spaces, if you know what I mean- and of course it looked good on stage! :wink:
The Opus is one the Moog keyboards that has the less amount of Bob into it, yet it has the biggest Moog logo at the back of them all I think. You walk into an empty musical room, with an Opus on stage, showing it's back, and you just feel like : allright, let's take up a seat and wait. :D

I think the Moog filter with envelopes makes a dull instrument much more interesting and that surely is the case for the organ section of the Opus. All in all, if I had to part with some of my vintages, there would be a few to go out first before the Opus.

One of the things I learned early (from YouTube) playing synths, is that a little bit of effects can add a lot of spice to a sound. I like the Lexicon MX-200. (very affordable). I have one full time on my keyboard setup and one too on my guitar rig. It does its magic on the Opus, of course, and it makes the polyphonic section sound just like a church organ. 8)

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks CZ.

I got the Taurus II assembled in its original state only for the time of the picture. Nice but not very practical. Seconds after that, it went where it supposed to go, in between a couple of foogers on my guitar rig :)
CZ Rider wrote:So what would you call a 4 oscillator Moog using the Prodigy? A Pierogi? :lol:
That was funny right off the bat, but maybe more to me than it is to you, unless you happen to be fully fluent in french (I was born french-speaking). You see : the first three letters of Pierogi are the same as Pieds (and it also pronounces the same), the plural french word for : feet :lol:

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Sort of off topic but I restore old Pinball Machines. Not much better than picking up a $150 relic and restoring it to glory. Lots of playing left in the old 60s and 70s machines; I hate seeing them in the scrap heap or parted out.

As for your Moog gear; kudos. If prices were not so high, I'd be picking up Rogue and Prodigy, etc. I was "lucky" enough to pick up an Opus 3 on eBay and I'm a fan. A big big fan of it.

The Strings through Chorus is incredibly warm and the Brass section through the filter is also tremendous. I don't have much of a need for the Organ myself (I have a proper Hammond) but gotta love that old school pitch wheel.

Opus is disrespected as being the least Moog Moog but in it's home beneath my little Phatty and above my 88 key controller it ads warm strings if not ripping low-pass processed Brassy timbres.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:00 pm

EMwhite wrote:Sort of off topic but I restore old Pinball Machines. Not much better than picking up a $150 relic and restoring it to glory. Lots of playing left in the old 60s and 70s machines; I hate seeing them in the scrap heap or parted out.
I used to too. :)
Once I had six machines in a one bedroom, upstairs apartment.
My downstairs neighbors hated me.
Then it was an Elvira, Space Invaders (wide body), Fun House, T2, Blackknight 2000 and a Haunted House.

Years later I restored a Kiss machine for Paul Stanley. It had *never* been played.
Stored in a warehouse for years. Battery leaked and the rubber had decayed.

I still want to make velocity sensitive flipper buttons.
Harder you hit the button, the harder the solenoid hits the ball.

I'd also love to make one of these below for Moog.
Have it use analog synth sounds too.
It would be a great attention-getter at Namm shows!

Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 pm

EMwhite

Thanks for sharing, always nice to read about other Moogers and their gear, the way they use it etc...

If luck happens to strike for you again, let that be a Prodigy, the nicest of the little Moogs. It's got everything. Minimoog like envelopes, knobs instead of sliders, a more conventional layout than the Rogue or MG-1, nice set of CVs in (later version). The only thing missing is an LFO LED (why?)

There seems to be a fairly large number of them in Great Britain, I have seen a lot on E-Bay. My own Prodigy is one of the X, retrofitted with 110v power supply and modded with a standard jack and V-trigger, instead of regular Cinch-Jones. Nice for Step64 CV sequencing. 8)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote: I still want to make velocity sensitive flipper buttons.
Harder you hit the button, the harder the solenoid hits the ball.
Actually, I believe those exist. Williams has a couple machines with velocity sensitive flippers, IIRC.
Kevin Lightner wrote: I'd also love to make one of these below for Moog.
Have it use analog synth sounds too.
It would be a great attention-getter at Namm shows!

It's the Chuck Norris of pinball machines! :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Voltor07 wrote:It's the Chuck Norris of pinball machines! :shock:
That says it all :mrgreen: