Little Phatty External IN Issue.

Everything Phatty.
ollie633

Little Phatty External IN Issue.

Post by ollie633 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi guys,

Ive got a weird issue with my Little Phatty Stage II OS3.1, When i pass my audio through it from ableton live 8, It sounds all distorted where the levels are fine in ableton. Also I always have to keep a key pressed down to let the signal flow in, this idea of sticking a dummy cable/patch cable into the KB Gate doesn't apply to my little phatty as it does nothing! i still have to keep a note pressed down, i keep the sustain from the envelope sections all the way up decays down and attacks down and release full. and still i have to keep a key pressed down and still sounds distorted :( so i have no idea whats Going on, if someone could shed some light and help that would be great!

Regards.

Ableton Live Suite 8
Focusrite Saffire Pro40
Moog Little Phatty Stage II OS3.1

Sir Nose

Re: Little Phatty External IN Issue.

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Does a dummy cable plugged into the gate CV in open the gate for the internal OSCs?

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:36 am

As Sir Nose just mentioned, a dummy plug in the gate input jack will keep the gate on and play the Audio from whatever is plugged into audio in.

For better processing, set the sustain level of VCA fully clockwise.

Bummer... there's a note continuously playing? That's the internal pitch voltage going to the VCO's. Turn levels of both Osc down to zero, then you got incoming audio only playing.

No need to press a key.

Edit :

Still not to your liking? Turn Cutoff fully clockwise ans Resonance CCW to let all the frequencies pass through.

From there, turn back Cutoff to about 12 o'clock or lower, select triangle wave in the LFO section, destination to Filter, control modulation speed with LFO and crank up the mod wheel. Somehow, Santana plays real cool with this setting, with a phaser like sound.

Note : there is not control in the LP to set the level of audio in, this must done prior, using a mixer, preamp, or the volume level of the incoming device. That's most likely the reason for your distortion issues.
Last edited by Portamental on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 am

Two more clues:
- set the overload full counterclockwise
- set the VCA Decay before noon so that the envelope will stay steady all the time.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:21 am

One more trick.... insert an expression pedal instead of a dummy plug in the Gate jack, this way you can control the gate with the foot (when no key is pressed that is), instead of plugging-unplugging.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:02 pm

ollie663 wrote:this idea of sticking a dummy cable/patch cable into the KB Gate doesn't apply to my little phatty as it does nothing! i still have to keep a note pressed down, i keep the sustain from the envelope sections all the way up decays down and attacks down and release full. and still i have to keep a key pressed down and still sounds distorted :( so i have no idea whats Going on...
This is abnormal. I've read this post over and over, and haven't said anything because I have no idea, and a long time ago people suggested that if I don't know, I shouldn't say ANYTHING. But now that time has passed, and no one of importance remembers the reasons for me leaving in the first place, I think it's safe to say your unit is faulty, or MIDI is somehow involved. I know nothing of controlling an LP with MIDI, so someone correct me if I am wrong. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:07 am

personally, i have had better luck with an on/off gate switch type pedal, an expression pedal did nothing.
as for the original poster I would be more suspicious of a faulty dummy plug/jack than a faulty slim phatty, the jacks I have tried don't all work alike
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:17 am

misterpete wrote:personally, i have had better luck with an on/off gate switch type pedal, an expression pedal did nothing.
That's possible, if the resistance of the pot in your pedal is not high enough. The pedal I use has a bit more resistance than the Moog EP-2.

There's a trim pot on an expression pedal to restrict the range of operation (lower the resistance). Very often, the full swing of the pedal will produce a change too great for comfort for the parameter you are trying to control. Trimming the pedal to a lower resistance will allow for a more comfortable range when swinged from heel to toe. On the EP-2, the trimming is so great that the pedal has the same resistance when fully depressed than when not, rendering the pedal literally useless (something like 3 ohms all across the travel of the pedal). That's why your pedal did not work.