Memorymoog DBM MIDI kit

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
dougt

Memorymoog DBM MIDI kit

Post by dougt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi, just got a Memorymoog+ with the DBM MIDI update. I have a couple scanned pages of the users manual for the update but they are incomplete. Anyone have the DBM installation or complete user docs?

Thanks,
Doug

Kevin Lightner

Re: Memorymoog DBM MIDI kit

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:31 pm

Did you ask Don Besecker?
He's the DB in DBM, I think.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

dougt

Post by dougt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:14 am

Nah it's not Don, he's DB Elect. The DBM kit was sold by Fred Mcniff who's website disappeared a few years ago (no docs on archive.org either). :(

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:50 am

Ive got a dbm MM+ I also got some info from my tech who did some research on the dbm midi.
Send me a mail @ [email protected] and ill send what i got later.
Hope it helps.
I allways tought i was the only one wit the dbm :D
Love to share and learn more about this.
Cheers

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 am

I have the DBM too. Had promised dougt a copy of the ROMs but was too busy at work lately. Besecker is in Buffalo, DBM was out of NYC. I can dig up the docs and scan them.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:35 am

Nice, would be cool if you'd like to share that.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:42 pm

dougt wrote:Nah it's not Don, he's DB Elect. The DBM kit was sold by Fred Mcniff who's website disappeared a few years ago (no docs on archive.org either). :(
McNiff "disappeared" because of valid personal reasons, but I was the one who bought out all his stock.
I got everything he had. Unfortunately, most of it has already been sold.
I think I still have some kits with the roms and buffer board for the later MIDI sequencer update in stock, but that's about it other than a few remaining NOS vinyl panel overlays.

I truly feel that if one wants a reliable MM nowadays, they have to do all the stuff that Rudi Linhard does plus additional work like better sockets and perhaps better trimmers.
Since Rudy did his own software and hardware improvements, this would be difficult to attempt yourself and it's unlikely you'd achieve the same degree of reliability Rudi obtains.
MC has a working MM, but he's also an experienced engineer and tech.
Not everyone is and many MMs may soon be worth more as separate parts than as a whole unit.
Fact is- all things shall pass. MM's included.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm

It's disappointing (at least here in the US) that Rudi is the only show on Earth, when it comes to that kind of MM overhaul & update...
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Memorymoog is a very complex system. After Fred McNiff bowed out and Mike Bucki went AWOL, that leaves only JL in Vancouver CA as a reputable MM tech. Not sure if dougt does repair on them.

Lots of vintage gear are too complex for most repair shops and only a select few are equipped to handle them. Case of point, studioelectronics.biz repairs and restores many well known vintage pro-audio processors like Lexicon, Eventide, UREI, even the Marshall Time Modulator.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

dougt

Post by dougt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm

I repair my own (got 4 now) but that's it. I much prefer to work on Rolands and Oberheims. :)

Kevin, did you get any DBM kits from Fred or any complete Plus kits?

MC, that would be great if you could scan any docs especially the installation and I still might need the ROM images as this one doesn't boot.

Until I got a Voyetra-8 the MM was probably my favorite synth. The killer thing about it is having the 3 VCOs per voice where if you use VCO3 for modulation you still have 2 which is much more interesting than on say the Prophet-5 where you only have 1 VCO if you use VCO2 for mod. Definitely worth the effort to keep them working if possible.

Thanks,
Doug

MC

Post by MC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 am

Last edited by MC on Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:43 am

dougt wrote:I repair my own (got 4 now) but that's it.
Four? You're a worst machochist than I thought :D

dougt

Post by dougt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 pm

Kevin, did you get any DBM kits from Fred or any complete Plus kits?

infrasoniq

Post by infrasoniq » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:44 am

Hi,

Does anyone have contact details for Don Besecker?

Cheers

B

Callockard

Post by Callockard » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:50 am

Hi all. I also have the dbm midi and currently have plans to install a new power supply on my MM.
Does anyone still have the installation instructions for dbm? Schematics? The above links are dead, and I’d feel more comfortable looking at these first.

Thanks!