Macbeth MicroMac

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
LivePsy

Macbeth MicroMac

Post by LivePsy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Now *this* is putting a lot of flexibility in a small package. The minitaur looks like too much of a safe option. Take risks, Moog, you WILL be rewarded.

http://www.macbethstudiosystems.com/microinfobig2.html
I've stopped talking now.

EMwhite

Re: Macbeth MicroMac

Post by EMwhite » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Somebody (on one of the other threads) mentioned a resurgence of analog gear this year. And how.

And here is yet another video from Nick interviewing Ken Macbeth. Looks and sounds great and Macbeth (the person) is very charismatic, sort of like the Scottish version of Dieter Doepfer, whom he makes reference to in this clip: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2012/01/ ... -micromac/ And as you'll see, there is something even bigger for Synth.com folks.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Nice little box there. But I like this even better:

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikel ... synth3.jpg

And the sound quality is phenomenal. Even next to my Minimoog D.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 pm

LivePsy wrote:Now *this* is putting a lot of flexibility in a small package. The minitaur looks like too much of a safe option. Take risks, Moog, you WILL be rewarded.

http://www.macbethstudiosystems.com/microinfobig2.html
The micromac should be one hell of a synth. But it is at 3X the cost of a minitaur.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Sir Nose wrote:The micromac should be one hell of a synth. But it is at 3X the cost of a minitaur.
I was wondering about the price... Where did you hear (read) that ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:49 pm

On the vintagesynth forum. ~1000 pounds is what I remember as the projected cost from Ken. I'll double check.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:28 pm

I would consider the MicroMac ten times the versatility of the MiniTaur. I couldn't live with buying a Minitaur and justifying it as merely cheaper. If anything Moog did this too late, the analog revival is here.
I've stopped talking now.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:52 am

Sir Nose wrote:On the vintagesynth forum. ~1000 pounds is what I remember as the projected cost from Ken. I'll double check.
IIRC the Vortex is about 1300 UKP for the desktop version and around 2k for the keyboard version. I think I saw that the micromac is also around the 2k mark. Of course I may be wrong... :shock:
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

xmit

Post by xmit » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:08 am

MicroMac is gonna be £995.00 GBP

I know, because I want one ! :D

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:37 pm

xmit wrote:MicroMac is gonna be £995.00 GBP

I know, because I want one ! :D
Ah ok, sorry If I made anyone faint. The Vortex price is about right though, and I know that because I'm on the purchase list :D
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Based on what I've read, there stuff is not cheap but if you read some of the text on their site you will see that it's made up for in workmanship, materials, and ultimately sound.

Having said this, I've never heard/seen any Macbeth gear in person but I have to admit that it certainly is appealing.

Now can somebody explain the combination lock control and a not I saw somewhere about a pot that takes multiple full revolutions to reach the full range?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 pm

EMwhite wrote:Now can somebody explain the combination lock control and a not I saw somewhere about a pot that takes multiple full revolutions to reach the full range?
Those are 10-turn pots, meaning that they spin around completely 10 times before hitting the bottom or top range.
The idea is that this makes fine-tuning easier because turning the knob is more precise.
I'm sure some people prefer them, but I'm not really a fan. I like to be able to grab the Frequency knob and detune it wildly over several octaves at a time, like on the Pro-One.
Still, the Vortex looks sweet. Ken has also mentioned that he's working on a keyboard version.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:12 pm

The quality of the Vortex makes my LP look like crap.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Come on ;)

Have a week playing on a cheap keyboard, forget about the Vortex and get back to your wonderful Moog!

drogoff

Post by drogoff » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:50 pm

soundxplorer wrote:
EMwhite wrote:Now can somebody explain the combination lock control and a not I saw somewhere about a pot that takes multiple full revolutions to reach the full range?
Those are 10-turn pots, meaning that they spin around completely 10 times before hitting the bottom or top range.
The idea is that this makes fine-tuning easier because turning the knob is more precise.
I'm sure some people prefer them, but I'm not really a fan. I like to be able to grab the Frequency knob and detune it wildly over several octaves at a time, like on the Pro-One..
I think the best of both worlds was the concentric, geared knobs on the Oberheim SEM for VCO pitch. The outer knob let you sweep the whole audio spectrum while the inner gave fine control. I was pretty disappointed that that was about the only real change on the new SEMs. I guess Tom couldn't find those knobs anymore. Too bad :(